Social worker with Police on calls

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Tvov, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Tvov

Tvov

This was posted by a friend of mine. She has a couple degrees in social worker / psychology fields. She is left-leaning, but not the screaming pychos we see so much of. I do not know what PD she was/is working with. She does use some politically correct terminology ( bleh ).

I think you all will appreciate this... I don't know any details beyond what is below, I haven't talked to her about this:

"My wish for our country is to stop with the black or white, this or that thinking. Things don’t have to be “either or”. They can be “and”. On Tuesday I had my first ride along with the PD to go on mental health calls as a clinician and social worker. In four hours we were able to get to about two (2) of the 10+ calls that came in.

In each of those situations I was incredibly happy to have my Police partners go in and clear the scene to ensure everyone’s safety. My officer stayed long past when an officer was needed because he was my ride, and only because he was my ride. He could have/should have been out on other calls like the weapons call or the shots fired calls or the narcotics calls.

It’s not about defunding the police, we agreed, it’s about funding the appropriate resources so everyone gets the help they need from the person that can help them most at that time. My officer partners could have, should have left when the scene was cleared. They had other fish to fry.

That is an example of “and” the calls needed police AND a social worker who knew their individual roles and skills. He cleared the scene and did background checks and I did field assessments. He could have left and I could have stayed. I could have met up with him at the next call and we could have potentially helped more people.

Look for the “and” people."

2. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

I can’t get CSB or a social worker to do their job here, let alone take over what we do.

I’ll go on ahead and keep living in reality.

3. Scott1970

Scott1970

That poor, poor cop. He must really be hated to draw that crap assignment.

4. blueiron

blueiron

The Police have no business being involved in crisis response calls for service. Likewise, they have more than enough work to be doing in this time of accelerated resignations, retirements, and the increased difficulty in recruitment and hiring.

If one of my officers was slacking off on crisis response calls, their eval would reflect their preference for social work and not their assigned responsibilities.

ranger1968, B C, okiegtrider and 4 others like this.
  5. merlynusn

merlynusn

We had a crisis response team of two clinicians who we could call on when we thought they were needed. Usually once they got there we could clear (if we called them).

The problem came when they’d call us to stand by with them because the scene wasn’t safe enough. So there we had cops along with the social workers. But if the cops are “the problem” then the problem will keep being there because the social workers don’t want to get attacked either and will want the police to do what they do best.

B C, mj9mm and Ftttu like this.
  6. blueiron

blueiron

Phoenix Regional Fire Department has the right idea. A Mercedes Benz Sprinter van, see attached photo, of one of the suburban city vans and volunteers:

[​IMG]

The van is staffed by mostly volunteers, some full time coordinators, and they attend social work courses - such as death and bereavement, counseling, resources for displaced fire victims, etc.

They respond to traffic incidents involving injury/death, residential fires, shootings, drownings, unattended deaths, etc.

The have teddy bears for the little ones, resources for fire victims, can transport families to hospitals, are willing to sit with relatives of suicides/deaths, etc. They interact with Victims Assistance, the Red Cross, the clergy, food banks, homeless centers, etc.

They don't dress like cops, they don't act like cops, and they are solution motivated. They actually work.

7. blueiron

blueiron

I know I sound like a SOB regarding social service calls. However, not everyone at FD or PD is suited for every social service call. We had a cop that had two stillborn infants and he was THE person to send to a SIDS death or anytime a child died.

One of our cops had a child who died through drowning, she knew what to say.

If someone was a veteran, I would volunteer to take it because I bought my own casket sized US flag for the decedent and would ensure that the corpse was treated with the utmost respect and honors whether they were combat vet of WW2, Korea, Vietnam, or just a veteran who did their time in peacetime Kansas. They were taken out of their house covered with the US flag and a salute from me.

Everyone has their specialty and everyone has a phobia. I never had children and the death of any child drove me into personal despair.

G19Tony, nursetim, Larry302 and 6 others like this.
  8. Tvov

Tvov

Actually... the first thought I had after reading my friend's post was that it was very PRO police. She is a liberal, but she wanted the police there and appreciates what they do... and she does NOT want to "defund" the police.

There are "lefties" out there that appreciate you folks.

My friend has been working at a facility where people getting out of prison have classes and meetings about getting back into society. She has spent time with really bad people, tying to help them, and the last thing she wants is for there to be less police on the streets.

badge315, mj9mm and Ohio Cop like this.
  9. dx_caliber

dx_caliber

Until I went to Crisis Intervention Training and was placed on our team, I would have agreed with you. However, if we're going to be tasked with those responsibilities, then it's worth doing in the correct manner. In order to do that, you have to turn off your 'hurry up' switch that's built into people that work at busy agencies. Those situations aren't dealt with quickly and I'm saying this as someone working at one of the largest and busiest agencies in the state of Florida.

Whether or not the LEO or a civilian rider is the primary on crisis response, if that person is assigned to be riding with me there's absolutely no way I could leave them alone on scene, even if I wasn't the one directly dealing with the crisis aspect of it.

Sounds like your gripe should be with management, not the officer responding to those calls.

nursetim, razdog76 and badge315 like this.
  10. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

True words, my friend.

There’s some days we can’t get to the “suicidal” calls, because we’re on other priority calls.

11. blueiron

blueiron

How many CIT training hours did you receive? I can just about guarantee that you received just enough to learn the buzzwords, describe the most common morbidities, and know just enough to get some CE time out of it.

There are valid reasons why they do not allow people with 120+ credit hours of university education and a B.S. in psychology to assess or treat people. Police CIT training is simple awareness, not an education.

12. ottomatic

ottomatic

A CIT officer (I was one for 10 years) does none of the (bolded) above. It is similar to the needed criteria for a stop vs an arrest. All a CIT officer does is determine whether the individual meets certain criteria which would require an assessment, then, if so, they will transport. They neither do an assessment nor do they treat.
    CIT officers do have extra training in de-escalation. CIT training is generally 40 hours to start with, plus 8-16 additional every year.

razdog76 and dx_caliber like this.
  13. ottomatic

ottomatic

Sounds like an awesome program, potentially like one my sister was on. They are there to minimize the aftereffects of a traumatic situation.
    What they don't do is handle CIT type calls. Especially not if there is a possibility of a violent person involved.

glock collector and dx_caliber like this.
  14. dx_caliber

dx_caliber

Nowhere did I say persons were receiving clinical treatment by us in the field. The goal is to simply calm someone in crisis to the point they can be transported to the appropriate receiving facility. One of the guys on my squad recently talked a suicidal individual off of an overpass. It wasn't a quick process but had a successful outcome. Those calls take time.

This. We aren't mental health professionals. We're there to help stabilize someone in the safest way possible to get them to needed resources. No matter the validity of opinions in which LE shouldn't be responding to those calls, the reality is in the vast majority of those situations, LE will be the first on scene.

15. bdcochran

bdcochran

I appreciate what the woman and the police department did. It gets me to thinking.

I think that California should change its requirements for licensing as a family and marriage counselor and for licensing as a psychologist.

Before getting the original license, the applicant should be mandated to spend 15 documented hours responding to calls on the local skid row. It would waken some of those people to the reality of life outside of academia.

Mugsie1, SuzyR, badge315 and 2 others like this.
  16. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Radio traffic:

"We need an ambulance to respond ASAP, and uh...we are gonna need another social worker too."

steveksux, Mugsie1 and pgg00 like this.
  17. rfd339

rfd339 Silver Member

Now a police officer has to protect himself and a social worker and do his job. So much wrong with this idea.

Hoochrunners, Dragoon44 and Rellik like this.
  18. Deltic

Deltic

I like the idea that any professional should get real world training, 15 hours seems way too short.

19. B C

B C

It's almost as if the left didn't think that through and knee jerk reactions are never good.

20. Rellik

Rellik Kwisatz Haderach in Training

Why not get the racists rev bubblegum to solve problems in his hood? And the aldermen, and the counsel men, a nd throw in the gospel choir too. It is well past the time these people take responsibility for their own continuing failures.

bdcochran likes this.