Soccer vs. Other-Sport Cleats - identifying each sport?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Deanster, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

Hi all -

My wife went to a giant rummage sale (think 737-hangar-sized), and came back with a HUGE bag of sport cleats in my daughter's size. I'm looking to sort out the soccer cleats from the softball cleats, turf shoes, etc, and I'm wondering if anyone has either a clear explanation of the differences.

What I think I know:

traditional soccer cleats have 12 or 13 round cleats on the bottom, with 4 on the heel, and 8 or 9 peripheral cleats on the forefoot, perhaps with two additional center rectangular cleats in the center. Newer 'bladed' designs look different, and have more complex cleat systems, but are still all on the bottom. Likely brands are Nike, Adidas, Lotto, Diadora, Puma, ??

Softball cleats have spikes on the toe also. Nike, Rawlings, and ??

Anything else I can use to tell 15-20 pairs of essentially similar shoes apart?

2. mrdann

mrdann

I "know" soccer cleats are cleatless near the toe so they don't interfere with kicking. Other than that, I think there's a lot of marketing involved.

3. Shadyscott69

Shadyscott69

Rugby boots have metal spikes.

4. mikekjg

mikekjg

Some soccer cleats, if designed for wet or soft ground, will have less cleats (about half) but they will be longer and in the same general configuration as standard firm ground cleats.

Some more modern cleats also have asymmetrical laces, where the lacing may go up toward the outside of the top of foot to provide a smoother contact surface for kicking the ball.

Also there are no "high-top" soccer cleats.

Hope this helps!