close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Soaking a GLock (broken down) in Cleaning Solvent for a few hours ? Yay or Nay ?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by LovinMyGlock21, Dec 11, 2006.

1. LovinMyGlock21

LovinMyGlock21

If this is an acceptable procedure , which Cleaning Solvent can be used ? Thanks.

2. Martindog

Martindog

3. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

If you want to soak the hole gun I would use Simple Green. If you just want to soak the barrel. Simple Green, Hoppe's or Shooters Choice. or a mixture of Shooters Choice and Kroil. Or if for some reason you shot lead In a Glock, or if you have a stainless steal barrel and have leading in it. a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide. Only let it soak for no more than 10 minutes, and wash it off with water, REAL GOOD, and if you want you can add bakeing soda.

4. martinglock

martinglock I DON'T PLAY

Why? Just clean it and go on.

:upeyes:

5. LovinMyGlock21

LovinMyGlock21

REPLY: Ill try Simple Green for the entire Gun . The reason i want to try soaking it, is, because im not convinced im getting all the crud out of the tiny passages . I could be but id like to be certain. What ive been doing , is, cleaning the Pistol after each visit to the Pistol Range using spray carb. cleaner followed by blowing it out with a compressed air gun at 75 psi. Completing the process with Hobbes Oil . Seems to do a great job and has no ill effects on the polymer or metal parts.

6. NoGo

NoGo

Nay.

If you're going to strip it down, spraying either your carburetor cleaner or non chlorinated brake cleaner on parts and using an old toothbrush will work just fine. No need to leave it soaking.

For the bore, a piece of a Copper kitchen scrub pad wrapped around an old and worn out bore brush works well. Scrub vigorously for about a minute, spray out the bore, run a dry patch through and inspect. Rarely ever takes a second minute of scrubbing.

However any of us do it, it's all good. For me, beyond the obvious of getting my guns clean, I like to do it as quick as possible. A thorough cleaning of a Glock pistol with 300+ wax lubed LSWC reloads through it takes me less than 20 minutes.

7. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

I just use WD40 as a cleaner and a little Brian Enos Slide Glide in the right spots for lube.

8. New

New

I just have to contest the WD40. As a mechanic for the past couple of decades or so, that WD40 is only good for a penetrating oil. Not a lubricant or spray to keep rust off. I would hope someone would not need a penetrating spray for their pistol. Just my two cents.
    If you don't believe me about the WD40, take a piece of untreated metal, hose it down with the very well advertised stuff and let it sit over night. If you have any humidity bat all you will have a small surface of rust in the morning. I have had several customers tell me, "Why the hell do they advertise a rust preventive?"

9. martinglock

martinglock I DON'T PLAY

+1

DO NOT use WD-40 to clean your gun.

It does not act as a lube, just the opposite.

10. Steve in Az

Steve in Az Walther PPQ

CLP is all you ever need.

11. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

New,

While I appreciate your concern I have used WD 40 for years as a field expedient cleaner (Available in the US and 3rd world countries) and to date no issues. BTW, it’s not because of cost since I have tried everything that’s available in the market I have just found that WD 40 works for me and all of my firearms after all if it was good enough for the Atlas rocket then it’s good enough for me.

http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html

12. NoGo

NoGo

Sure, WD40 will work, but you'll need to wipe down the parts before reassembly. There's no reason to coat Glock pistol parts with lubricant. Just the single drops at the points directed in your manual.

Fast drying solvents like non chlorinated brake cleaner leave the surfaces clean and dry, the way a Glock pistol should be.

13. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

:thumbsup: No WD-40. Normal maintenance as the manual says, routine cleaning of the parts if you have it apart. If you do overgunk it, cheapo Brak-Kleen in aerosol cans (red & black IIRC) from your Walmart will get the job done. Has lots of uses around the bench; I don't find an issue with Glocks that dictates brake cleaner but NoGo is right - clean & dry, then the recommended 4-6 drops (depending upon technique). The brake cleaner is great for blowing out revolver cylinders.

:patriot:

14. Martindog

Martindog

Sounds to me like you are doing better than most, and yet you still want to soak the thing?

15. Rebel_James

Rebel_James

What's with all these

'keep my Glock squeaky clean' and 'do I need to send my Glock back to the factory for service after 200 rounds?'

threads coming from????

Damn ya'll ... it's a GLOCK! JUST SHOOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

16. Prvt. Toter

Prvt. Toter It's a secret!

Ok,

Gotta give my .02 here. While in the service we performed oil analysis on many commercial lubricants to verify application usages, etc. Did wd 40 and guess what we found......H2O, good old water as a constituent of the lubricant. Tried different batches and found varying ammounts of water, but it was always present. WD 40 does work well as a penetrent, and cleaner, just wipe it down prior to reassembly and you should be ok. Keep in mind my history on this goes back to Norfolk, maybe 15 years ago and back then we attributed it to the bulk transport of the WD40 and condensation, it may be better now....and we never tested an aresol version.

PS...

We opted for KROIL as the penetrant and lubricant of choice for any WD40 Type application for the Carrier I was on... This has a distinct oder that kind of grows on you (at least my wife says something is growing on me whenever I use it):upeyes: and it also works well as a cleaner and light lubricant.

Again, just my .02 worth.

17. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

18. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Unclebob,

UDAMAN, appreciate the link I will keep it handy for those nay sayers that state that WD40 is not a good cleaner or that it cannot be used as a field expedient lubricant.

I have used WD40 for the last 38 years and it has never let me down. It has protected my long guns (Tikka, Sako, Mauser, Winchester, Remington, and Accuracy International) in humid places like Lompoc and Sumatra in Indonesia, Venezuela and here in states places like Oregon, Florida and Northern California. In all of these places I was able to buy WD40 can’t say the same for some of the other products.

19. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Do they sell ATF in those places?

20. Armchair Commando

Armchair Commando Long Range Guru

First field strip the pistol down to the frame/Barrel/Guiderod and slide.

Frame Cleaning: Take the frame and a old Toothbrush, Spray the inner with your cleaning agent. (I use Hoppes Elite) Thoroughly scrub the inners of the frame with the toothbrush making sure to get all the nooks and crannies. Rinse the frame out under water and let dry. Frame is done.

Slide Cleaning: A old Rag and your cleaner, Spray down the slide inner and outer parts and wipe down thoroughly with rag. Use a Q-tip on the rails and hard to reach places. Slide is done.

Barrel Cleaning: Wipe down outer of barrel with solvent soaked patch or rag, Use a brass brush dipped in solvent and run it down the barrel til satisfied, Followed by solvent soaked patches. Run dry patches down until nothing appears on patches.

Oil as directed in Owners Manual or Glock Reference Guide! Take 10 minutes tops. If it takes longer your just goofing off. My guns are immaculately clean and i take great pride in making sure they stay that way! Take my suggestions for what their worth!