close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So, You're Going To A Gunfight!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Arc Angel, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

:) I'd like your opinion.

(1) You know you're going to be in a pistol gunfight; which pistol would you rather have, one with a ported or a nonported barrel? Tell me why?

(2) You're shooting in a self-defense style pistol match. Which pistol would you rather have, now? Ported or nonported? Again, tell me why?

(3) Are there any particular advantages or disadvantages to using either design?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  2. HoldHard

HoldHard

If I know I'm going to a gunfight, I bring my rifle and all my friends that have rifles.

Handguns are used to fight your way to your rifle.

In response to your questions:

1) The one I have on me at the moment. I don't go looking for gunfights so it would be a non-ported G21 that's on my hip.

2) I shoot competition with a compensated racegun which would be considered ported. Less muzzle lift, the red dot stays within the "A" zone of the target allowing quick follow-up shots. The entire gun is designed so it is able to shoot very, very quickly but is the furthest thing from a concealed carry weapon, especially with the 29 round "big stick" magazine sticking out of the grip....

3) Advantages: Less muzzle climb. Disadvantages: Muzzle flash directed up in a low light situation is going to temporarily blind you. Not good in a self-defense situation.

My 2 cents....

HH

3. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

He specifically said if a Pistol is all you can choose. So enough with the gun store commando crap sayings.

And for me would depend on the caliber. If it was the .40 I'd prefer the comp for both questions. Why? The flames aren't nearly as "distracting" as many here claim them to be. In fact many times there all no flames you can see coming from the ports.

For 9mm? The recoil seems tame enough for me where it doesn't seem like it'd matter, that being said though, I've never tried a ported glock in 9mm, maybe it makes just as big of a difference in muzzle rise as the .40 glocks experience.

of course YMMV.

4. HoldHard

HoldHard

Maybe it's different in Texas but in Detroit, invitations don't usually get sent out for gunfights.... they happen numerous times on a daily basis... all by themselves....

HH

5. CLoft239

CLoft239 I Like Turtles

What? You mean y'all don't meet out front the saloon at high noon? ... Where have I been all this time?

Heh.

As for the question, I would simply have to go whatever I'm carrying at the time. I change up between a Glock 31 .357sig, and a Sig SP2022 in .40cal flavor. I won't carry a gun on duty until I've had many hours of range time with it, am comfortable with it, and know it's reliable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

6. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Witless Protection Program

Trump Tower, overlooking the wall Mexico bought.
    Non-ported; sometimes gunfights involve not only close retention shooting, but actual grappling & groundfighting & contact. I want all those hot gases following the bullet, not blinding me.

Train as you fight, so no gamesmanship gadgets to reinforce bad habits.

7. jmoore

jmoore

No way - no how!

If forced to fire from a close in "retention" position (think of a classic "speed rock") - the flash will be directed straight into your face & eyes!

jm

8. Deployment Solu

Deployment Solu Kydex Crafter

G30SF/G36 Hybrid, non-ported. Nothing wrong with a ported or comped gun as long as you have chosen your ammo wisely. Some ammo brands produce way more muzzle flash due to powder choice.

9. Rumbler_G20

Rumbler_G20

Psssst, read your signature. :blondmoment:

10. Radian

Radian

If I know I am going requesting several AH64s to provide overwatch and someone who can drop 155 in an orderly manner...

To answer you question.

Same gun, different caliber. Competition based on IDPA rules would be some 9mm glock 19 sized or better.

If it were people shootin with a pistol cartridge any major round (357 sig is my choice, all about same) will do the job in a pinch.

Ported non ported not going to be a deciding factor to me.

to each their own.

11. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

:rofl:

Nothing is more miss-understood, or straight out commanding of ignorant posting, than porting.

-Porting will not blind you, unless we're talking big mutha cartridges.
    -Porting does nothing for recoil.

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

If I can not take a carbine, I would take a high cap pistol.
    9mm BHP would do nicely

13. OctoberRust

Maybe it's different in Detroit, but there is this thing called a hypothetical question.

ETA - It's asked a lot on the internet. I guess they just recently let you guys have the interwebs over there.

14. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Witless Protection Program

Trump Tower, overlooking the wall Mexico bought.
    But, ported or non-ported?

15. HoldHard

HoldHard

If you happen to re-read my original post, a low light situation was mentioned. Personally the picture below looks strange (elapsed time photograph?) or shot with a load that has a specific type of powder to produce the "dragon breath" effect.

I've seen flames come out of a barrel but nothinig that looked like this. It would ignite the paper targets and burn the range down... :supergrin:

[​IMG]

HH

16. OctoberRust

interesting. I've hip fired all types of hot loads from my G23c with no hot gases blinding me or burning my face. I must be superman. :rofl:

17. nursetim

nursetim

If I know before hand I am going to need a handgun, I would pick either a draco short or a 629.

18. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I've had a few ported handguns and I don't like them. Basically I want all the blast and fire going forward.

As far as the handgun. There are a lot of choices but I think I'd be satisfied with my ATI 92C as much as anything, during daylight. In low light I'd want one of my laser equipped handguns.
    [​IMG]

If I can "cheat" a little about "handguns". This would be my handgun choice against another handgun.:)
    [​IMG]

19. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

That picture is photo-shopped, and the main reason so many people think you'll be blinded by a ported pistol at night. Notice the slide isn't moving?

I've shot my G17C in low-light/night conditions....you don't see a thing, especially with quality SD ammo, which has flash-suppressant.

Anyhow, to answer the OPs question, a ported pistol like my G17C is always the right answer. Any mechanical advantage that gets you back on target quicker for faster follow-up shots should be taken.

20. High Altitude

High Altitude

I wouldn't worry about flash, but I would worry about gases hitting me from a close rentention firing.

Personally, I would go with the non ported option.