GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 388 Posts

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. @Doc Holliday 's post in the "Bring back the ladies in swimsuits" thread got me thinking. This seems to be a widely accepted belief among men. Why?

Me being nosy again it's what I do.

Reactions: Sherlock913

·
Registered
8,075 Posts
I’m living proof that this has not, in fact, been the case.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I don't think it's binary like that. Being rich probably increases the probability quite a bit. Being more physically attractive or more emotionally attentive will also.

This looks like a thing because being better off financially won't help a woman's prospects at attaining a better mate; if anything, she'll look expensive to support, so might scare off a lot of men. Being rich will help a man's prospects, though, because it lets the wife focus more on the children and avoid skimping on buying stuff for the family.

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
Because beautiful women sort of have their pick of guys. Ugly rich guy next to ugly poor guy? Who would you choose? Less than handsome rich guy next to handsome far less wealthy guy? Who would you choose?

At least, who would you choose for a first date?

"First impression" is huge. Beautiful women can take their pick.

Melania Trump - I am not sure, but I don't think women in general would consider Donald Trump "ugly", but certainly not gorgeous along the lines of Liam Hemsworth, but he is very rich. Why would Melania, who most likely has/had "the pick of the litter", choose him? Money.

Why my wife "chose" me I am not really sure. I don't think I'm "ugly", but I do have wealthy relatives. My wife is very much considered beautiful. I was running a small business when I met her, but I wasn't rolling in money. Maybe she thought I was halfway decent looking, and running a small business means (usually) I'm not a complete bum.

In today's world, I am sure my post is very non-PC and will probably make some people's heads explode.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
While their are exceptions to every rule, generally speaking it's because hot women have more man choices available to them- so all things being equal, why would they not choose a rich guy over a poor guy?
Goes the other way as well, so you don't think I'm being sexist.

·
Registered
74,410 Posts
Just curious. @Doc Holliday 's post in the "Bring back the ladies in swimsuits" thread got me thinking. This seems to be a widely accepted belief among men. Why?

Me being nosy again it's what I do.
"Gender Differences: Specifically, the study revealed that men and women differed in the percentage indicating:

• it was 'desirable/essential' that their potential partner was good-looking (M 92 percent vs. W 84 percent),
  • had a slender body (M 80 percent vs. W 58 percent),
  • had a steady income (M 74 percent vs. W 97 percent),
  • and made/will make a lot of money (M 47 percent vs. W 69 percent).
There were also gender differences in whether it was 'very important/a must have' that their partner made at least as much money as they do (M 24 percent vs. W 46 percent) and had a successful career (M 33 percent vs. W 61 percent), but not in whether their partner was physically attractive to them (M 40 percent vs. W 42 percent).

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/09/150916162912.htm "

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
A beautiful woman knows she has a higher market value than an ugly woman ... all things being equal, so she'll select the richer man ... all things being equal. Or more accurately ... the richer man will select her.

If offered a rusted out 1911 or a nice new chrome one ... which would you pick? All things being equal.

The 'Mother' instinct would select the richer man ... all things being equal.

Of course money often 'wins' even when all things are less than equal.

Now on other side ... we have the 'big tits vs personality' debate ...
5'2" and a D cup has always appealed to me ..... I digress ...

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Because beautiful women sort of have their pick of guys. Ugly rich guy next to ugly poor guy? Who would you choose? Less than handsome rich guy next to handsome far less wealthy guy? Who would you choose?
At least, who would you choose for a first date?
I would pick the man I thought would be the most fun on a date.

Beautiful women can take their pick.
Melania Trump - I am not sure, but I don't think women in general would consider Donald Trump "ugly", but certainly not gorgeous along the lines of Liam Hemsworth, but he is very rich. Why would Melania, who most likely has/had "the pick of the litter", choose him? Money.
Melania is worth $50 million on her own. So going by your theory, she can have her pick. Same thing with Donald Trump, he can have his pick. Therefore they must have another reason to choose each other. I know this sounds ridiculous, but maybe they like being around each other?

so all things being equal, why would they not choose a rich guy over a poor guy?
All things are never equal, because no two people are alike.

You dont have to have money to get a hot girlfriend but you will have to make money to keep them.
Ok, so we are back to the "hawt women must be high maintenance" theory.

"Gender Differences: Specifically, the study revealed that men and women differed in the percentage indicating:
  • it was 'desirable/essential' that their potential partner was good-looking (M 92 percent vs. W 84 percent),
  • had a slender body (M 80 percent vs. W 58 percent),
  • had a steady income (M 74 percent vs. W 97 percent),
  • and made/will make a lot of money (M 47 percent vs. W 69 percent).
That's interesting. However, in today's world the woman often makes more money. So how does that work?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Maybe society has conditioned people to think just that? I don't know as I never considered this question before. Some people may think money buys happiness and some women may think money buys them financial security. Maybe that's why all NFL players no matter how goofy they look have hot wives? Its a win win chicken dinner for both sides...........

·
Registered
74,410 Posts
That's interesting. However, in today's world the woman often makes more money. So how does that work?
The study is 5 years old. It shows preferences. That's not going to change.

Reactions: Hannie Caulder

·
Supreme Member
3,634 Posts
I remember this being discussed in a psych class in college many years ago.

For the most part, people hook up with significant others of the same attractiveness level.

A attractive man who's a 9 or a 10, will be able to hook up with women who are 9s and 10s. But a man who's a 5 or a 6, will only be able to hook up with women who are 5s or 6s.

UNLESS... the man has something else going for him. Things like fame and/or wealth can bump a guy up on the attractiveness scale. So a guy who is only a 5 in the looks department, but is famous and/or wealthy, could be bumped up to an 8, 9, or 10 depending on his level of fame/wealth.

·
Director of civil unrest
8,549 Posts
For some women money is more important than love.
I've seen this many times. Not for me but for other men. Several times in my life I've heard the woman/Wife of freinds of freinds say that they know their mate isn't particularly attractive but he "takes care of me". All of those women were stay at home Wives and none of them were mothers.

1 - 20 of 388 Posts