So why are military bases gun-free zones?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Hannie Caulder, Dec 10, 2019.

1. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

And yet, command gets all grumpy when you post a sign that says something like:

"Warning! This is a logic-free zone! The use of logic on these premises is strictly prohibited and will be punished severely!"

That one almost got me in trouble, but fortunately, no one dimed me out.. I retire in 13 days, and it was well over a decade ago, so...I'm good now, lol.

BobbyS, mj9mm, pgg00 and 1 other person like this.
  2. Aurora

Aurora

I always thought that Army firearms training was crap. The military, as an organization, takes care of it's own interests and doesn't really place much value on individual skills.

IIRC, we had two people shoot themselves with a privately owned weapon (POW) or a combat bring back. Worse still, I was on CQ one afternoon and my platoon sergeant came in with a gunshot wound to the hand. It happened when he was hunting on post.

Gunhandling would have to be much, much better to trust the average soldier with a firearm. A civilian who has been through a credible shooting school has better skills.

V.

lazarus66 and Detectorist like this.

3. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

We've essentially sealed the argument for gun control right here in this very thread. That's kinda sad. Our military isn't trained well enough or responsible to carry off duty so why should any civilian be allowed to carry?

I'll say this, lower enlisted ages typically range from 17-21 and anyone who ever served knows what us fools did when we were that age. I've got fond memories of drinking a rack of beer and rappelling out the third floor of our barracks in Germany. Maybe they shouldn't be armed on duty or off while in garrison...

However, it's my believe that all NCO's and Officers should be under arms while on duty without exception.

4. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

After reading all this I see I was being too simplistic.

Common sense tells me that a U.S. military base would be the last place on earth you would expect to be a gun-free zone, but you can't ever apply common sense to anything run by .gov.

mj9mm likes this.
  5. DAKA

DAKA

I wonder how the Israeli military handles this, plenty of pix of young people in civvies carrying real weapons....everyday..

6. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Deltic, mj9mm, Caver 60 and 1 other person like this.
  7. oldmick

oldmick

After reading all these responses I’m struck by what, in another environment, would be anti-gun sentiment. Or maybe more closely, “it’s ok for me but not for thee”.

Before concealed carry was passed in Ohio I heard the exact same comments. “They’ll get drunk and kill people.” Or “blood will run in the streets”. Or, well, you get the idea.

I believe the reason, as stated by someone, is the Base Commander wants to avoid bad press - both internally and externally.

Since the military is dictatorship (as it should be) the Base Commander does what he believes is the best thing for his career both personally and professionally.

Other than that, what’s the difference between a 21 year old soldier on a base in the U.S. and a 21 year old citizen with a handgun license?

For those who never served, you may not realize it, during peacetime, in the United States, many soldiers get up every day, do their assigned “job” and go “home” much like their civilian counterpart. “Home” is just housing within or near the base.

Simply put, there’s no 2A in the military structure and that’s why soldiers can’t carry on post/base. Not because they are more unsafe than their civilian counterpart.

That’s the way I see it, anyway.

8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

We already have the 'Right' policy that covers 330 million+ people, it's called the 2A.

"However, it's my believe that all NCO's and Officers should be under arms while on duty without exception." - syntaxerrorsix

I completely agree.

ironhead7544 and Caver 60 like this.
  9. Aurora

Aurora

Many here would be surprised that the four rules of safe gun handling were never discussed in formal weapons training during my first 3 years. It wasn't until Uncle Sam paid for training with a civilian instructor that I heard them.

The whole situation feeds on itself. Officers are keen to safeguard their career for fear of accidents (not unreasonable).... and thus,...... young soldiers don't become familiar with proper gun handling.

It's an institutional problem and not a reflection on 2A rights.

V.

cbetts1, Caver 60 and JArthurD like this.
  10. PRKJayhawk

PRKJayhawk

Congratulations on your retirement! Enjoy!

11. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

Israeli chicks buying ice cream.
    israeligirlsbuyicecream2il.jpg

12. 63Bravo

63Bravo

Because the United States has been neutered.

13. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

If we taught firearm safety in schools instead of indoctrinating kids that they are bad and armed our society instead of creating no gun zones maybe all of this cowardly mass shootings would stop.

But that is too logical and goes against the liberal agenda to creat a society scared of guns so they can fully disarm us and make us subjects instead of citizens.

14. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

I don't disagree with the idea but Remember, Major Hassan was an officer and I can personally think of a number of NCOs, past and present, that neither have/had the proper training or mentality to be carrying weapons on an installation. -I can only speak to my own experience serving with a Weapons Company in an Infantry Battalion. Maybe your impressions are different.

15. CombatCamera

CombatCamera

Now that’s just sad. Weapons safety was drilled into us right off the bat in the Marines.

No wonder the ND that happened near me in Bagram was an Army guy

willie_pete and Caver 60 like this.
  16. Flags

Flags

Good point. That has kept me from visiting a lot of bases when traveling and from patronizing the nearest Exchange and Commissary.

Caver 60 likes this.
  17. Caver 60

Caver 60

I agree. But who's going to write the firearms safety course. The anti's version of gun safety would be:
    "Guns kill people, don't touch them, or have anything to do with them. Report anybody who owns a gun so we can take their guns away from them."

Inyo Tim likes this.
  18. faceplant

faceplant

We were allowed to keep personal weapons in the armory at Camp David. When on duty we carried firearms in close proximity to the President. Off duty I wouldn't have trusted most of us to have them in barracks setting. We were too immature and drunk when off duty.

Caver 60 likes this.
  19. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

It's not true.

Either that or people are just forgetting their training. The Army's Basic Rifle Manual lists all of the safety requirements for firearms handling. Marines aren't immune to ND either.

FM 23-9

D-1. RECOMMENDED BRIEFING The first priority on any range is training, but safety must be at the forefront of the training program. The safety program will prescribe safety precautions necessary to minimize the possibility of accidents in the firing and other uses of ammunition by troops in training and range operations. The safety program should include the following: • Identify surface danger zones (SDZ) as described in AR 385-63. • Inspect for objects located near the muzzle of the weapon before firing, especially during unassisted night fire. • Identify the location of medical personnel. • Identify left and right limits of the range. Firers never fire outside of these limits. • When not on the firing line the weapon selector lever is on safe and the bolt locked to the rear. • Firers always enter and exit the firing line at the entry or exit point. • Before occupying a firing position, inspect it for wildlife or obstructions. • Always keep the muzzle of the weapon pointed downrange when on the firing line, finger outside of the trigger housing area. • Identify the designated smoking area (if applicable). • Never touch a weapon while personnel are downrange or in front of the firing line. • Load the weapon only on command from the tower or control point. • Never fire without the use of hearing protection. • Left-handed firers will fire their weapon with a left-handed brass deflector attached to the weapon, if necessary. • When entering or exiting the firing line the weapon must be cleared with a cleaning rod. • Consider the rifle loaded at all times, even in break areas. Never point the weapon at anyone. • Anyone observing an unsafe act will immediately call “CEASE FIRE”, place the weapon on safe, place it in the v-notched stake or lay it on the sandbags, and give the verbal and visual command of cease fire. • Once cleared off the firing line, firers report to the ammunition point and turn in all brass and ammunition. • No one will leave the range until they have been inspected for live ammunition and brass. D-1

20. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Knowing how to shoot is no substitute for knowing when to shoot.

Caver 60 likes this.