So why are military bases gun-free zones?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Hannie Caulder, Dec 10, 2019.

1. fg17

fg17

Maybe. CCW for some on base may be ok.

But for the younger ones probably not a great idea in practice. My son was a Marine MP, he said some of the base housing was like a big social experiment.

mj9mm, Caver 60, CAcop and 1 other person like this.
  2. KikoMonster

KikoMonster

"..., You can't fight in here! This is The War Room!:flag:"

3. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

What does your Air Force pilot BF say about it?

Upgrayedd, arkdweller22 and MB-G26 like this.
  4. jp 19

jp 19

PC. BS

Hannie Caulder likes this.
  5. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

If you saw the staggering number of ND’s that happen on a deployment you probably wouldn’t want to use that as an example.

Aurora likes this.
  6. Deltic

Deltic

I don't recall any ND's on deployment but dealing with that sort of thing was not my job. :dunno:

Quijibo likes this.
  7. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Maybe this is why ?

ar15lost.PNG

Trebore, mj9mm, cbetts1 and 2 others like this.
  8. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

Military installations are not like cities or towns really. There tends to be a lot of critical personnel and infrastructure to be concerned with. One idiot can do more damage (arguably) than is usually the case outside of the fence. Besides, guard forces are in place, which means that on base, one would not be apt to run into the kind of riff-raff that would necessitate CC.

The idea is to prevent another Major Hasan incident.

Not saying gun free is the answer, but think about having to make the right policy that covers 2 +Million personnel.

It is something the Pentagon continues to wrestle with.

Hannie Caulder likes this.
  9. ironhead7544

ironhead7544

IIRC, when I was in, anyone over E-5 could be designated as law enforcement and armed when necessary.

Hannie Caulder and Caver 60 like this.
  10. CAcop

CAcop

I probably wouldn't even think about arming anyone under that rank.

The odds of needing someone armed is probably pretty low vs the danger or having everyone armed at all times.

11. napp32

napp32

As a general rule, soldiers are the most careless people with firearms I have been around. This was especially true when I was in a combat zone. I suppose it comes from being around weapons all the time; and just getting complacent. In Vietnam, we carried our issue weapons in base camp; but SOP prevented us from having a magazine with ammo in the weapon in base camp. SOP also was that we couldn't have a loaded magazine in the weapon during a helicopter flight. Even on combat operations, we weren't supposed to load the weapon until the final approach to the LZ. Chopper units pushed hard for that one to be enforced; but it was often ignored.

Regarding firearm policies on stateside military posts, it is usually up to the post commander to establish the rules. Most commanders, but not all, have chosen to restrict weapons. I am guessing that they feel that blanket restriction is a better alternative than the other risks.

cbetts1 and Caver 60 like this.
  12. Just_plinking

Just_plinking

I once was in a hospital on a millitary base for work. It was late and normal staff was leaving. Three young guys came and sat behind the front desk.

Iirc they weren't trained in anything related to the hospital, and couldn't really do anything, except for possibly make a phone call to someone who knew what was going on in the event of an issue. They (the three of them) just had to sit there all night and hold that desk down.

I imagine that sort of thing isn't limited to hospital front desks.

I think if you gave those kids guns and the shear boredom didn't kill them, the resulting grabassery probably would.

Also, I mean no offense. I can't immagine having done it. It was neat place, but parts of it looked like pure torture. My admiration and thanks to anyone who did it.

Trebore likes this.
  13. Caver 60

Caver 60

I could live with not CCWing on base/post. Even though I'm a retired officer that on active duty, legally CCWed an issued military weapon, both on base and at some of Americas' largest civilian airports.

But I durn sure would like to be able to unload and appropriately lock up my personal weapon just outside the installation prior to entering, and reload once outside the installation on the way home. I have almost a 60 mile drive just to get to the installation.

AF-Odin, Flags, CAcop and 1 other person like this.
  14. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

you know, when I worked on base, I wondered the same thing. I really wished we were able to, and I was a civilian.

I lived in an apartment complex full of young enlisted guys. partied with all of em. they did some dumb crap. no dumber than the dregs of society, but a young, drunk marine is not a thing one wants to fool with.

I respect them to the ends of the earth, but in LE from time to time we deal with Marines in bad spots. some of them are very brazen and very stupid, no offense to the majority. Recently we had a girl who was absolute, ghetto NYC trash, thrashing mad, fighting with us, belligerent beyond belief, I mean a real C word. pissed in my car. I am not quite sure how she got in in the first place, but I can promise you after her command was waiting at the office for us once we cleared the jail and she ain't in anymore...

cbetts1 and Caver 60 like this.
  15. DonD

DonD

Based on 21 yrs of active duty as a Navy officer and 17 yrs working with the Navy following that, it's simple. Base commanders and their seniors are PETRIFIED of having an INCIDENT on base. Lots of guns, young guys and women, accidents happen and they won't accept that minimal risk.

Ft Hood had huge numbers of E5-6 types with 1, 2, maybe 3 combat tours, they know how to handle sidearms and engage the enemy. These guys should check in, strap on their M9 or whatever is replacing it and carry it till end of watch, return it to the armory.

Had this been the case, the bastard Hassan could never have killed and injured so many. He'd have been riddled by multiple shooters. D I S G R A C E F U L. Don

ironhead7544, mj9mm, badge315 and 8 others like this.
  16. Caver 60

Caver 60

You got that right about drunk Marines. I remember one night on Okinawa.

I was walking through town on the way back to the base. I saw about 4 young drunk marines coming toward me on my side of the street. I crossed the street and hoped they didn't notice me.

These guys were walking along breaking automobile windshields and headlights, with their fist, or something in their fist. They were laughing about the blood on their hands.

Slackinoff and Hannie Caulder like this.
  17. DonD

DonD

While this is long ago history, it shows how obsessed seniors were with not having incidents.

I was the weapons officer on a missile ship. It was the only ship of it's class that had nuclear ASROC forward and nuclear Terrier aft.

Our guard force, like all others in the Navy, carried a GI 1911 loaded with ball ammo. Great, not. They carried their 1911 UNLOADED in a clumsy holster with a flap on it. So....you know the issue here. If a crazy who was competent with weapons were to try to come on board, what happens when the E4 on guard force recognizes the threat, pulls the empty 1911 out of the junk holster, seats a mag, racks the slide....he's full of lead.

I'd think the surface Navy is better these days but I have no personal knowledge there now. I know what the Trident fleet used not long ago and those people and their base do know about security. Don

mj9mm, Hannie Caulder and Caver 60 like this.
  18. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

When Titan crews had to courier TS-Crypto documents out to the sites, all four crew members were armed/loaded; from the time we left the main base until we got to the site. Two officers and two enlisted; some being two-stripers.

19. Caver 60

Caver 60

Friend of mine was a Marine medical doctor (surgeon) in Vietnam. When they would go off the installation to treat civilians, they let him carry a GI 1911 with a magazine of ball ammo. But he could not have a round in the chamber, unless he had to use it. Fortunately he never had to use it.

mj9mm, Hannie Caulder and willie_pete like this.
  20. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

using logic when describing gov entity actions is not logical

mj9mm, Hannie Caulder and wprebeck like this.