close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So who shaves with a straight razor?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dammechanic, Mar 6, 2010.

1. dammechanic

dammechanic

May seem kinda silly to some but it works for me.:wavey:

2. Goodspeed(TPF)

Goodspeed(TPF)

On and off I do. Works well, especially on my upper lip.

3. as400guy1

as400guy1

I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving.

Col. Walter E. Kurtz

4. silentpoet

silentpoet

Wouldn't it be ironic if Richard Simmons did.

5. StarfoxHowl

StarfoxHowl

I have, and used a shaving cup and brush to lather my face. Aerosol foam wasn't allowed on the submarine (the propellant was an atmospheric contaminant).

Can't now, since the base command where I'm at consideres straight razors a hazardous object and will not allow their possession.

6. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

Manlier men than I. The idea always made me a bit nervous.

7. SanityAssassin

SanityAssassin

I do, nothing else I tried worked well for my neck - hairs come out at bad angles. Double-edge razors sort of 'planed' the hairs or took a lot of skin with it. Straight razor takes it off clean, probably cause it can be angled as needed.
    And nothing like real shaving cream worked up with a brush

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  8. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

I do, best shave in the world.

9. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

I hate Brando.

10. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I wish I knew how to (without opening up my jugular :supergrin:) as I shave my head as well and heard it can't be beat as far as closeness. It would most likely be too time consuming though.

11. walt cowan

walt cowan

not hard to master plus, it freaks out the wife and kids. they won't touch it!:supergrin:

12. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

How many stitches does it take normally to master it??? :rofl:

13. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I gave the straight razor a try a long time ago...almost had to call the Red Cross for blood transfusions as a result, so gave up on the deal.:wow:

Now use a Braun electical unit for daily use, and any type of multi-blade disposables for extra special occasions when a close shave is required and time allows.

Starting to get some wrinkles, and would hate to slip with a straight razor now and lop one off!!:supergrin:

14. BobbyT

BobbyT

Shaving with them is easy. It's the honing that takes skill.

I've had two of them for several years now, but I never acquired the skill to get them sharp enough. Actually cutting myself was never an issue, it was just a case of irritating the crap out of my face trying to saw through stubble without a properly sharpened blade.

I now use a Merkur Progress razor with double edge blades. They're dirt cheap, perfectly sharp every time, and give about as close a shave as I ever got with a straight razor.

I can't remember the last time I used shaving cream from a can. A good brush, a mug, and a "puck" of glycerine-based shave soap are also very inexpensive and will last and last.

15. 88_gurgel

88_gurgel

I have considered trying the straight razor. I just started using a Merkur HD in the last 6 months and I need to get my technique nailed down for that. I use "The Art of Shaving" products and use a brush. I usually ended up with bad razor burn on my cheek bones whenever I used a multi-blade razor. The more blades, the more burn. The DE and product is def working better for my razor burn.

My problem is, my facial hair grows at a snails pace, so maybe once a week I have to shave.

16. That's all Brother

That's all Brother

Yes, and a Burma Shave mug and Brush. I sometimes let my Barber have at it with his straight razor. He does a much better job.:whistling:

17. FPS

FPS

Count me in.

18. minderasr

minderasr NRA Life Member

This ^^^. I tried shaving with a straight, and had pretty good success. However, due to my lack of experience, I was overly cautious. And this caused the routine to take far too long. I still have a collection of straights, honing stones and a strop. But it all collects dust at this point.

So I went to a Merkur Progress and eventually ended up with the Merkur HeavyDuty and haven't looked back. When I tell other people (especially old timers) I shave with a safety razor, they laugh and ask me if I have any blood left.

19. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

I wanted to try it once. A barber I talked to who shaves w/ a straight razor at his shop says he first practiced on a balloon.

20. LL6

LL6

I've considered it, but I think it's due to old circumstances.

Back in '98 my job had me for an extended time out in eastern NC. There was a barber shop just a couple min up the road from where I was at. A very sweet little blond owned it.

I think it was during my second or third visit she was complaining that her next level of barber certification required her to shave someone. She didn't trust her skills enough to practice it on her regular customers. I thought it over and told her to practice on me. I figured the worst thing that could happen was die in the arms of a blond angel. During the shave she did draw some blood but no more than I would with a cheap disposable if I was in a hurry. She was mortified though and couldn't think of a way to make it up to me. We came to a mutual agreement. :whistling:

From then on I got free shaves with my haircuts. She finally got her skill to the point where she tested for her next level of certification and passed. I like to think I had something to do with that. :supergrin: