close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So who is buying an Apple iPad

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by bobby_w, Mar 31, 2010.

1. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

So who here is going to take the plunge and get an Apple iPad ????

I think I am going to get a WiFi 32 gig to use around the house and work.

I don't feel like going the AT&T data plan right now.

2. Ljay

Ljay Micky's Packin

I,m waiting for a while, They always come out with a generation II that's better and got some of the bugs worked out, Just like they did with the I-Pod.

3. therepublic

therepublic

I think they invented something similar a while back, only it had many more capabilities. It was called a laptop.

4. bm1974

bm1974

I don't know....
    have you seen the review?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_EcybyLJS8

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  5. MavsX

MavsX The Dude Abides

not me. suckers

6. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

^^^ this

Why would I pay that much for something that runs the same OS as the iPhone. I'll take a netbook and my Android phone thanks. Use the tethering app on my phone to get 3G on the net book and I'll have the full power of a netbook.

7. costanza187

costanza187 I like Macs

I am generally a fan of all things Apple... but for me, I see that I have absolutely no use for this device.

8. The Machinist

The Machinist Please! Please! No more!

I expect my iPhone to act pretty much like a phone. The extra gadgets are nice. If you're gonna release a mini computer/tablet, then you best give it the hardware and software it demands - not a cell phone OS, for crying out loud. Don't crap on my cupcake and call it frosting!

9. CAcop

CAcop

Like someone said, "It's a iTouch for the visually impaired."

If it really did something more than make the iTouch bigger, like a bridge between a laptop and an iTouch it would be something worthwhile.

10. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Oooooooh! The FULL POWER OF A NETBOOK!

LOLOL.

The iPad is an interesting experiment. We'll see how it goes.

But I just don't understand the 'netbooks do it better' thing.

I have an HP Mini 1000 netbook, and it really sucks to use. Slow, wildly underpowered, and while the keyboard isn't bad, it's not exactly a pinnacle of typing pleasure. The trackpad sucks also. Running Win XP, the screen is mostly taken up by window borders, bars, etc., leaving VERY little room for whatever I'm actually working on.

And it was by FAR the best netbook I could find when I went shopping.

The iPad sure seems to be, for the things it does, faster, slicker, more powerful, and have an OS optimized for smaller screens. It's not as flexible as a netbook, but should totally murder the netbook for the range of tasks that netbooks do most often. Doubly so if you add Apple's nifty and super-thin bluetooth keyboard for when you decide to type more than a few words.

IMHO, the iPad hardware is pretty sweet. The 4.0 OS this summer, and the Apps that show up in the first few months will define the iPad, and determine how it fits into people's lives.

IMHO, the netbook category is troubled. An awful lot of people like the idea of a small, highly portable, reasonably priced tool for surfing, simple e-mails, and basic document editing.

The netbook has been a very popular solution, but whenever I talk to people about their netbooks, they say the same things I do - they're often a kinda crappy experience, and a real laptop would be much better...

or an iPad?

11. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

Would you prefer I said laptop instead of netbook. I don't have a netbook but it's the "new thing". You could fix most of your complaints about your netbook by running linux instead of Windows.

I like being able to run MatLab(Engineering/Math program), Multisim(electrical circuits program), listen to music, type a word document while looking at my excel spreadsheet, have my instant messenger open, etc. Can the Ipad do these things? No, but my laptop can and I have 3G wireless tethering with my phone and I don't get charged extra for it unlike the iPad.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very pretty OS but I would rather have the full capabilities of a computer.

12. xtreme99

xtreme99 What's a Glock?

13. G26Okie

G26Okie

I was recently playing around on my girlfriends netbook, some acer model. It had the windows 7 starter on it, and I have to say it is quite quick.

14. rahrah12

rahrah12

It doesn't seem that great as is...If I was to get it I would not be an early adopter and would wait for 2nd or 3rd generation...

I remember with the initial release of the iphone they dropped the price immediately...

15. MedicOni

MedicOni

I've got a netbook and an HTC Hero... I'll pass on the Ipad

16. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

There have been tablets with full blown operating systems for years. In fact there is even a company that makes a Mac tablet http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook.

The point is, the reason tablet computing has been an abject failure for the last 10 years is because every moron engineer thought that they need to shoehorn a full blown desktop operating system into a tablet. Because there is such a high demand to do autocad drafting with my finger while riding the subway.

What people need/want is an easy to use device that lets them email and browse the web. I think this device will be wildly successful.

17. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

I love my iphone but pass on this nonsense. I'd rather get a netbook.

18. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

+1 million, The Ipad has no camera, no phone, and no PC compatability, so it basically a much larger, more expensive, Ipod touch. I think its big blunder on Apple's part.

I love my $200 i pod touch, but I would have bought something that was SLIGHTLY larger so it was easier to type on and watch movies, with a camera, and the ability to use PC applications like microsoft office. That I would get excited over.

iPad, no thanks.

19. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

I do lots of international travel. This thing will let me replace the netbook I currently drag around. I'll be on this like a fat girl on a hotdog.

20. PBCounty

PBCounty