So, who gets to decide when the average American has to sacrifice?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jame, Mar 22, 2020.

1. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

With all the whining I see on a few miscellaneous threads, I can only assume that many would choose that we be governed by consensus.

So, that being the case, let’s hear it from those in favor AND those against how things are currently going. I’ll openly admit that I haven’t been a fan of the Patriot Act, or the War in Afghanistan, so Ive had my chance to complain, too.

I started this, so I’ll go first.

I view this current issue as a substantial threat, and I’ll do what ever my country asks me to do, similar to action taken in WW II. I expect my country to win, and I’ll do what I gotta do.

Next up........

2. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

3. BigBull 301

BigBull 301

4. banjobob

banjobob

Will you be willing to intern Asian-Americans like our government asked its citizens to participate in during WWII?

serve_and_protect likes this.
  5. jmohme

jmohme

I can not argue with jame on this one.
    We have to defeat this virus, and if that means a lock down, so be it!

6. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

Agreed... I do with they would be specific when asking people to stay home. Many large companies are taking the “they will tell us when we have to close” approach because they know that is an extraordinary step to take.

It’s a myth that most people are home... for many of us it’s business as usual, just slow.

7. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

8. -JCN-

-JCN-

I am not running headfirst unprepared for danger, though. Like a first responder on site, I am making sure that it is reasonably safe.

As @glockhoarder hopefully understands now, hospital and governmental policy is dictated by population economics and managing limited resources. That being said, like minesweeping infantry of the First World War... sometimes the Generals deem you expendable or your risk “acceptable.”

Really CDC? Surgical masks instead of N95 for actively coughing patient care? Home made masks?

That’s all politician talk for “we don’t have what you need so we will move the goalposts and tell you it’s fine like the Tuskegee Airmen.”

I love my family more than my country and that’s my prerogative. I love my country too, but no contest compared to my family.

9. as400guy1

as400guy1

Today was my first time out since getting home from the hospital.
    Stores were ok. Shelves were sufficiently stocked. People seemed nicer some how.
    Kind of torn on how things are going. Not thrilled with the .gov telling which buisiness' can be open but like the spread of the vieus being slowed.

Intolerant and Ramjet38 like this.
  10. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I notice people going along awfully east with the Governor's orders and threats, with nobody asking where he gets the authority and the newspapers not bothering to mention it.

Even worse is when I look up where he gets the authority and see that the legislature has given him pretty broad power, as long as he says "state of emergency" first.

spork, cbetts1, Nanuk and 6 others like this.
  12. Intolerant

Intolerant

This virus BS has severely infected GT, i agree, lock the forums down. A bleachbit cleaning is in order in this place. Hurry folks, get in before the lock down ;)

13. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

It is a pretty cool thought that Americans might pull together toward a common goal.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  14. hannstv

hannstv

We are absolutely destroying this country over a damn bug that 80% of the people that catch it do not require medical attention.

15. Jan R Whitaker

Jan R Whitaker

Were pretty much hunkered down. Both of us are retired and are going out for groceries, meds and cigars.

Mtnfolk75, Nanuk and jame like this.
  16. RenoF250

RenoF250

Give people solid guidelines based in science and leave it at that. I have been staying at home or keeping my distance. If I choose to go out of my house that is my business, you are in your house so you are safe.

I am a bit annoyed with people that still do not seem to pay attention to personal space. I was at a nursery - outside, very few people, very low risk, but people still have to come over where you are instead of waiting a minute for you to leave. Same problem in Costco. Easy enough to keep your space and most were but plenty still coming over and getting in your business.

If I was going to use the force of law for any of this I would make breach of person space violation punishable by a punch to the throat.

I still say it is overblown. 33k people in the US confirmed. Out of 360M that is just noise. Certainly take precautions, make people aware but don't $#%@ the bed.

There is tons of stuff trying to kill you don't spend too much time focusing on one and no matter what you do you still die.

hannstv and rock_castle like this.
  17. bubbatime

bubbatime

Good. You see, actual experts that study this stuff for decades, to include the experts at the dept of defense, have advised the president that this is the best strategy.

So their credentials > your credentials.

spork, PhotoFeller, LV3 and 8 others like this.
  18. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

I think it's sad that the government HAS to mandate behaviors which common sense should dictate.

19. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

Too big a question. We’re in a shelter in place order and I’m fine with it.

Some things being proposed on Capitol Hill I’m not fine with.

Some things are NOT being proposed on Capitol Hill that I think we need.

It would take a while Covid-19 forum with a bunch of threads to cover the topic. Honestly I think it’s past time one was created. This is bigger than 9/11 in terms of the impact to Americans daily lives if you aren’t in the military.

Mtnfolk75 and Nanuk like this.
  20. rotorhead1026

rotorhead1026

That doesn’t seem to be the case according to the most recent data. It’s hitting younger folks much harder than anticipated. Great care must be taken until we know the true nature of this “cosa”. Now a problem down the road will be getting CYA bureaucrats to release restrictions.

x2501, spork and Nanuk like this.