close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So who else got the iPhone 5??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Drjones, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Drjones

Drjones

I pre-ordered mine on the 14th.

I admit, I was a little underwhelmed/disappointed on the day of the unveiling, but mostly because of all the leaks the past several months. I don't know if Apple is intentionally doing it, or if it's really just become harder to contain, but it really takes the fun out of it; kind of like if you find your presents before Christmas & take a peek; it kills the moment on Christmas morning. As if I needed another reason to hate the media... :upeyes:

Anyhow, I got the 64GB white, AT&T.

Some thoughts:

- It is STUNNING. It has been called a "jewel" and it is so true. The build quality is just outstanding, and the mirror-polished edges are amazing.

- It is freakishly light. For a phone that looks larger than its predecessor, it is noticeably lighter. Of course it is also thinner too.

- It is FAST. Makes the 4S seem like the 3G....the benchmarks show the 5 to be about twice as fast as the 4S, and it's true. Webpages load so much more quickly, maps are much faster, etc. It is a very fast device.

- The LTE is positively insane. Here at my house I ran a test with the speedtest.net app and got 28mbps down and 19 up. Over the LTE cellular. No, that's not a typo error. Words fail me as to how fast that is. If I didn't get close to 100mbps over my comcast at home, I'd be extremely jealous.

- I think probably the most under-rated and under-discussed feature is Panorama photos. Not sure if it's a function exclusive to the 5, or if the 4S can get it through iOS 6, but it is a really stunning capability; I can now take 180 degree panoramic photos, and it is just as fast/instant as snapping a regular photo; there is NO wait time for it to process. You just hit the button, are guided how to move the phone, and that's it. I think this feature will absolutely revolutionize photography now that it's so easy to do and so widely available. The iPhone is by far the most popular camera in the world, and this opens up a whole new dimension.

Panorama also made me very glad I got the 64GB, because each finished photo is supposed to be around a 16mb file; haven't checked for myself yet. Yeah yeah, you can offload them to your PC or iCloud or whatever, but when you're on a trip, it will be nice to not have to worry about it at all.

Anyhow, I think once you take your first panoramic photo and see the quality you'll be hooked. It is really, really cool and I'm going to use it a lot.

- The screen. I didn't think it would make that big a difference nor be that big a deal, but the extra screen space makes it into a whole different device. I won't hesitate to read more books now when I don't have my iPad handy. Makes a very big difference in usability and "comfort" - it's just easier/more fun to use with the larger screen. Much like how the iPad is far superior for reading books, browsing the internet, etc, the larger screen of the iPhone 5 makes it superior to the smaller, older models. Of course the colors are stunning.

- The speaker is noticeable louder and of better quality than the 4S. This is just nice for when you watch a video clip, movie trailer, whatever.

Overall, it is a stunning device and Apple hit it out of the park - again. I'm very, very pleased with it.

2. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Just wanted to mention that panorama on a cell phone isn't new. I've been doing it on my android for a while.

3. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I got 2 delivered on Friday.

I like it, but it seems that iOS6 hesitates sometimes when I hit the home button. I'll give it a few weeks and see. It might be hardware.

It is very light. Haven't noticed the fast, but I like only having 3 screens of apps. Lets me organize better than before.

4. bchandler

bchandler

No, but it's new to iOS6, and therefore to a sizable portion of the smart phone segment, just like LTE, stock navigation, etc. For these people it is a new and exciting feature. Let's not forget most people don't keep up with, or care about, competing OS features, or who did it first. Most iOS users are set into their ecosystem for whatever reason and are unwilling to switch to Android, myself included, and don't really care about what Android has to offer, though I'm sure its a fine operating system. In my view, the inevitable "Android does it better" or "Android did it first" on every Apple post gets tiring very quickly. Just enjoy your OS and let us Apple users enjoy ours.

5. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

Android users will ignore the build quality because that S3 thing is made of a very high grade of plastic I believe. At least that's how it feels.

6. JW1178

JW1178

I'm not eligable for an upgrade yet, so I have to pass. I love my 4G and I'm so happy with it, I couldn't imagine the 5. I guess kind of like my 2002 Silverado that I love so much, the same thing when I look at a 2013 model. I do like the IOS6 features on my Iphone 4. My girl has a 4S.

Lets not let this turn into another Iphone vs. Android thread. IPhones are kind of like Glocks. Other guns have more features, and are "better" in some ways, (we know, you don't have to continue to inform us) but Glock continues to outsell them hands down. Just like IPhone, Why is that? There is a reason. Nobody cares that S&W's M&P had the interchangable backstraps first, the point is, Glock has them now. It's kind of hard to take a brand seriously that calls their systems things like "Ice Cream Sandwich" and "jelly bean". Lets just hope that IOS6 and IPhone 5 glitches aren't going to be like a 4th gen G19. I think us IPhone users understand, its the Android users that can't understand. That's why non-glock enthusiasts always have to bash Glock, they don't get it and can't understand it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  7. Mochahooligan

Mochahooligan

I got to the Verizion store at 9:30 they opened up at 8 and I was number 24 and I was handed my sheet as to what I wanted and they said as soon as someone is avail they will help me. 5 min later got it and I am a very happy camper!

8. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

So is a Glock...

9. Phaze5ive

Phaze5ive

Off on a tangent to this, but my girlfriend just got OS X Mountain Lion for her notebook and she was so impressed that she could now full screen her broswer. In other words, Macs finally get F11 :rofl:

10. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

errrr, its been that way for quite some time

11. Thumpernator

Thumpernator

12. Resqu2

Resqu2

I'm loving mine, will love it even more when Verizon gets a texting issue fixed. I think its a good upgrade from the 4S, the LTE is unreal fast, it equals my home network, both are between 25-30 MBPS and I have coverage everywhere I'm at. The new camera is even better than I expected and the panorama is beautiful and easy to use, it's my favorite new feature of IOS6. I still am not a fan of ITunes but I work around most of it. Oh yea, the new earpods are great, went from unusable trash to something I can wear all day.

Now bring on the Green Poison and this thing will be as close to perfect as it can be.

13. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Still be a couple of weeks before mine gets here.

14. Bring_it!

Bring_it!

Preordered. Got it Friday. No negative issues yet.

15. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

I will wait a while till they get the bugs worked out. Happens on every new device and people want it right now.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  16. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

I have the 4s and no reason to upgrade right now, so I'll just drool over everyone else's. What's up with the maps? I use google maps for work, so I'm glad I didn't update to the new iOS yet.

17. Resqu2

Resqu2

Maps are a mess, I have seen several pics, very bad! I read that Apple has locked up the whole maps team and said the WILL fix it. They need to approve the app Google has submitted to the App Store and quick.

18. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

19. uhlawpup

uhlawpup Gentle Soul

I LOVE mine! And since it's from Verizon, it's unlocked. If they ever really make me mad, I'll pay the freight and jump ship.

So far, though, I'm happy where I am. And my computer, iPad and 5G all talk to each other through the cloud seamlessly.

20. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

5g? I'm confused.