Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Second2None
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive had my Sigma for about a year now the SW9VE version and i have never had a problem with it. The grip is way more comfortable than a Glock to me and im about to start carrying it for my EDC. Im well aware that most Glockers bash them but i believe that theyre scared to admit that a half the price gun maybe every bit as good. Ok so the trigger sucks so some people say, but this is very easily fixed in about ten minutes. Just a simple spring removal takes you from the 8 pound trigger to about a 4 pound trigger. Just as good as a Glock if not better IMO. So who here carrys one? Dont be shy now stand up for your beliefs. FYI i do have a few Glocks and they are awesome but why are so many hatred of the Sigma?:dunno: After all its a S&W.

·
INFRINGED
42,217 Posts
I have mostly carried a 40 for the last ten years. Sometimes I will use a revolver or 1911, but mostly it's a 40 VE.

I know the gun. I know what it will do and how reliable it is. I am more than familiar with the trigger pull. I also care not at all what someone thinks of my choice in carry guns.
Sure I have better guns. Some that would set most to drooling. Those are reserved for my practice and enjoyment.

The Sigma is a working gun that can be carried and relied apon to due it's duty when called to action. It's a no frills gun that while first made to compete with Glock as a duty weapon, now has found a niche in the market as a good solid 300 dollar gun.

Even when S&W redesigned the gun to what we now know as the Sigma, it took a half dozen or better years to gain any kind of respect. Most that would ***** and complain about them now, have never before shoot one or most likely never even touched one.

At the end of they day my opinion is the only one that matters to me. I have owned two of the VE's since 98-99. One in 9 and one in 40. They both have fired thousand of rounds. A year ago I picked up a second 9mm. From someone who has a ton of S&W P&R revolvers, Colts including the Python and Gold Cup. It's high praise for me to buy more than one of a particular gun.

That's not to say I don't enjoy the Glock.
I have several 17's, a 22, and a 19.

·
Banned
18,886 Posts
The early Sigma's sucked. Period. The newer one's are alot better, but are still a $300 gun. You get what you pay for. If you're happy with a Sigma, then by all means... Personally, I'd rather pay a little more for a Glock, M&P or XD/XDm. And BTW, I've shot several of the older and newer Sigma's, so this isn't a "never even held one before" response. Just calling it like I see it.

·
Florist
22,453 Posts
At the end of they day my opinion is the only one that matters to me.
Yes, I absolutely agree.

Why? Because IMHO, in the end, one's choice (hopefully made intelligently) regarding brand, model, caliber, amount of reloads, etc... will only affect you and yours. Not going to affect me.

And visa-versa with my opinion/decision.

But if the OP posts on a site named GlockTalk, it's safe to assume most posters are Glock enthusiast. If the OP goes to a forum named BrussleSproutTalk, I'm sure most posters there will opine that the best vegetable in the world is brussel sprouts. :supergrin:

·
Second2None
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I absolutely agree.

Why? Because IMHO, in the end, one's choice (hopefully made intelligently) regarding brand, model, caliber, amount of reloads, etc... will only affect you and yours. Not going to affect me.

And visa-versa with my opinion/decision.

But if the OP posts on a site named GlockTalk, it's safe to assume most posters are Glock enthusiast. If the OP goes to a forum named BrussleSproutTalk, I'm sure most posters there will opine that the best vegetable in the world is brussel sprouts. :supergrin:
This is true. I am very much a Glock fan as i have several. I carry a g19 most of the time. My main reason for switch is because i tend to be hard on EDC. Dont want to bang up my more expensive Glock when i could carry a Sigma and feel a little less bad about dings and scratches. I will carry my Sigma and feel completely as armed and comfortable with it as if i had a Glock on or M&P. For the record brussels sprouts suck:supergrin:

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
A close friend of mine works for dunbar armored & carries a sigma daily. It runs fine but the trigger is not much fun.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I rotate my G19 and my Sigma VE 40. I did the pigtail spring removal and have since fired 500 or so rounds and no flaws. If I can find a used 9 I'll pick one up. I've seen them for $175 used.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Banned
45,580 Posts
The stainless .40 Sigma was my first handgun. I knew little about pistols at the time, and looking back, it was a good gun. Never had any problems, and shot the piss out of it.

·
is not cool.
3,016 Posts
My first semi auto was an SW40F, despite everyone and their mother saying they sucked mine was great and was my EDC for a couple of years. It got stolen, while it was missing I replaced it with a 5906 and when it turned up in a pawn shop a couple of years later I got the gun back and sold it to a buddy of mine who still owns it (13 or 14 years later) and isn't parting with it (I tried to get him to sell it to me, he ain't budging). Haters can hate, but the Sigmas are good budget gun.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I had one until I sold it a few weeks ago. Nothing wrong with the gun, I just didn't use it, so I sent it on down the road. I had used it enough to know it was a good, reliable, accurate, handgun. The trigger for all bad press, isn't really THAT bad. My wife has a G-19 that I've shot a few times. Good gun, but it cost us twice what I paid for the Sigma. The Glock is better, but it's not twice as good.

The security company I work for is talking about upgrading our department to "armed" status. The Captain tells me we'll be able to carry whatever we want to, as long as it fits into the envelope the state authorizes, which basically is a 38/357 revolver, or a 9mm semi-auto. I'm a revolver guy myself. If that is the case, I'll carry a Smith & Wesson or a Colt revolver. IF however, plans change and we're limited to a semi-auto, I suppose I'll go out and find another Sigma. (Well, I'll check the used rack and see what I can find cheap, but a Sigma would be on the list.)

·
Florist
22,453 Posts
Shooting a Sigma is/was kinda like riding a moped!
It's fun, & gets the job done, but ya just don't want your friends to see!

Well, if the moped is a Vespa, and you're wearing a white silk scarf, with Gigi sitting in the back seat, it might be OK.

Last year, when S&W came out with the SD pistols, I thought they were going to discontinue the Sigma line. Thinking maybe there would be a fire sale on the Sigmas, I seriously considered purchasing 2, maybe 3 Sigmas as part of the spare HD battery. Then at last year's SHOT show, the S&W rep said the Sigmas were not being discontinued.

My understanding is the SDs are marketed for purchasers who want something better than a Sigmas but not quite the M&Ps. Supposidly, compared to the Sigmas, the SD triggers were cleaned up.

·
Second2None
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, if the moped is a Vespa, and you're wearing a white silk scarf, with Gigi sitting in the back seat, it might be OK.

Last year, when S&W came out with the SD pistols, I thought they were going to discontinue the Sigma line. Thinking maybe there would be a fire sale on the Sigmas, I seriously considered purchasing 2, maybe 3 Sigmas as part of the spare HD battery. Then at last year's SHOT show, the S&W rep said the Sigmas were not being discontinued.

My understanding is the SDs are marketed for purchasers who want something better than a Sigmas but not quite the M&Ps. Supposidly, compared to the Sigmas, the SD triggers were cleaned up.
A friend of mine has an Sd40 it's pretty nice actually. A better trigger than a stock sigma and the grip on it awesome and my opinion. They sell them at academy and I've really considered picking one up. If they go on sale I probably will.

·
Second2None
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I rotate my G19 and my Sigma VE 40. I did the pigtail spring removal and have since fired 500 or so rounds and no flaws. If I can find a used 9 I'll pick one up. I've seen them for $175 used.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
I bought mine used at a pawn shop for $210 and thought I got an amazing deal. At $175 it would be a steal!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.