So where would I even carry...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by jjcool, Jan 12, 2010.

1. jjcool

jjcool

I've been wanting to get my CC permit for sometime now, and at this point it's just coming down to money. Eventually I will follow through on this and get it, but in the meantime I've come up with some questions.

I've been thinking through what it'd be like to carry a firearm 24/7. I know some people say that concealed is concealed and they always carry, but for now I'd like to respect the law and only carry if absolutely legal. With that being said, there are only a couple of places left to carry. The best I can figure, I'm pretty much only going to be able to carry at fast food places and shopping centers. My employer has signs posted at each location prohibiting weapons in the building. Also, in NC any place that sells and serves alcoholic drinks is off limits. Lastly, any place that charges admission is no good as well. This pretty much just leaves me carrying my gun in my car most of the day and then taking it shopping, to church, and to family and friends houses. It almost doesn't seem worth it since sooooo many places are off limits when it comes to carrying. I'd be interested to hear from other CC people on where they carry, particularly if you're from NC.

2. farley45

farley45

I carry everywhere I legally can.

Having a weapon with you going to and from work may not seem like a waste of time if you happen to need it.

3. MetalSlugIV

MetalSlugIV

I can't even have a gun in my car at work.

4. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

Unless you're eating out every day and going to only places that serve alcohol then why not get it? A good car safe can help in securing it while in places off limits. Just the day to day things like shopping, errands, etc make it well worth it for me. Plus you don't need any more pistol purchase permits from the sheriff.

Let your life style be your guide.

5. BuffaloXJ

BuffaloXJ

Don't take my word for it, but it's my understanding that a location can not supercede the governments law. Meaning that unless the building were to provide armed security at every entrance AND have metal detectors to prohibit firearms from entering the building they can not legally prohibit you from carrying into the building (if you have a CCL).

I could be completely mistaken, and that is my understanding of Colorado Law regarind CC, but its somethign to look into.

6. NC Bullseye

NC Bullseye

This doesn't work in NC.

7. 2afreedom

2afreedom

In NC the no guns signs carry the full force of law. There's no "ask you to leave" you are in violation of CCW laws if you carry where prohibited. The state wrote a very restrictive statute when they made CCW legal and yes it almost seems pointless. Remember though being armed 100% of the time in your vehicle and 60% of the time everywhere else is still much better than nothing. Hopefully we can change some of the dirty diapers in Raleigh this year and get CCW in restaurants passed and remove some of the other idiotic restrictions we have to endure. Another reason to get the permit is you won't have to get a purchase permit when you buy a handgun anymore. If you buy many pistols it's worth it for that reason alone. Get one, get involved, and help us change these laws.

8. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

And even if it did work, it'd leave our OP looking for a new job when he gets fired.

I know all the arguments. Jobs are scarce, and sometimes you gotta go along to get along.

9. jjcool

jjcool

I would never jeopardize my job to carry at work. Its not a dangerous environment at all. I am really close to the CEO though and have thought about having him sign a notorized letter stating I have permission to carry at work. Since he owns all the buildings it seems like that would override the sticker on the door. Has anyone ever heard of something like that?

I don't go out to eat a lot, but I constantly find myself in places I can't carry. Whether it be a park or an establishment with a sign posted (which as others have said carries full weight in NC and there are no restrictions on the type of sign). But it probably is worth it to be armed some of the time and for the purchase permit issue. Thanks for all the advice guys.

10. Littlescroll

Littlescroll NRA Member

In your situation (JJcool) I would carry whenever possible. Some is better than none. And to echo what others have said, I would carry wherever it is legal. The lone exception for me is work. I can't lose my job, and therefore I have other means of defending myself(albeit less effective means) when I am at work.

11. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I have no idea what the laws are like in your State or how difficult it is to carry but I always encourage everyone to follow the law. On the topic of carrying (in general), if ccw does not suit your lifestyle or you are feeling detered, unsure or unmotivated- purhaps you shouldnt carry.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  12. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Welcome to the reason the anti-carry people put so many exceptions to the places you can carry. The more they put in the fewer people even bother getting a license and even fewer actually carry.

Start getting involved in your local politics and start pushing for repeal of these no carry places.

13. NVMYGlock

NVMYGlock

You may want to check your local laws again because I think your list of places may get even shorter, but here in Virginia, you are not supposed to carry in a "place of worship" either.

14. ComeAndGetThem

ComeAndGetThem

I really encourage you to resist the urge to fall prey to this line of thinking.

Mass murders are usually committed at "no gun zones" that people thought were safe. Anti's still to this day ask "why would anyone need a gun at a school?"

15. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I deleted the rest of it just to bring out this line. So, you can teleport to wherever it is that is not a dangerous environment? Wow, I wish I could.

Do you never need to stop for gas going to or from the safe environment, ever? I wish I could say the same.

Have you never in your life run errands after coming out of the safe environment? I seem to need to pick stuff up every couple of days going to or coming from places I know are safe.

Unfortunately a lot of the places I stop to get gas, pick up milk, look at the latest computer sales and check out what's going on for teen age boys for my son are not the safest places around. Wouldn't really matter even if they were because I have no idea if I'll get a flat tire somewhere or have someone decide to rob the place I'm at in spite of it never having been robbed before.

Get out of the "well, XXX place is safe so I can go along with a restriction of having a firearm there." You still need to get TO there and back FROM there as well so agreeing you should be forbidden to have a firearm THERE also means you agree to never have one before or after.

16. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Till he doesn't sign one for everbody and someone get butt hurt and causes a big stink over it.

17. ranger56528

ranger56528

The only places I dont CC is Fed and Gov buildings and school when picking up my children.Other then that my Church is gun friendly and I dont go out to bars.....
    In Mn if a store or shop isnt posted with the legal requierd sign its open to CC and if they post a legal sign it has to be at all entrences to said building as Mn law states such as loading docks,employee enterance's,ect,if they only have a front door posted as to no guns and not the rest they are not in compliance with the law and you can CC into building..

18. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Time to get the law changed. Eh?

19. trifecta

trifecta

If the CEO will sign a letter for you, will he just change the policy for everyone?

As others have said-get your permit. Carry where you can.

20. David Armstrong

David Armstrong

Good job. You have already taken a step forward that many completely deny, realizing that there are safe places where one really doesn't need to be particularly concerned about fighting off the BGs. And for me that is one of the reasons to go ahead and get the CCW. Just as there are some places where you can feel pretty safe, sometimes we have to go places one does not feel safe, and often we don't know what the area/situation is. Having the option of modifying your response to a problem sometimes makes a lot of difference in the outcome.