close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So when did the BTF and other Glock ejection woes REALLY begin?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Deputy, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

Seems like it's not a recent thing. I have a book called ""The Complete Glock Reference Guide" 3rd Edition published in 2006. On page 36 of this book, they have a section on "Ejected Brass". Let me quote the whole section...

"Wearing a hat or shooting glasses will help to protect your face and eyes from the occasional piece of ejected brass. Many shooters experience ejecting brass hitting them in the face. You can fix this problem by simply changing ammunition brands or bullet weights within a brand. The power factor difference between each brand and bullet weight will effect the distance and angle of the ejected brass. Keep switching manufacturers and bullet weights until the ejected brass simply misses your head. But what if you do not want to change the ammo you are using?

The fix to this problem is to change the length and angle of your ejector. You cannot start the ejection process sooner, that would require a longer ejector. You will have to delay the ejection process. Remove the trigger housing and stone or file the ejector a little at a time. Change the length and angle of the ejector until you get the desired effect (ejected brass misses your head)."

So...this book is the 3rd Edition with a 2006 printing date. I don't know when the first edition was, but I suspect the same advice was in it. This was LONG BEFORE the 4th Gen Glocks came out. And people were still experiencing brass hitting them in the face. So it's not a new thing. The fix seems simple enough. I would buy a spare ejector and go to work on it. That way you would still have the original in case you goof up. This will also sort out the replace guys from the real gunsmith guys. Or you can do as I suggested previously and take it to a competent gunsmith. Of course, if you prefer to piss and moan on Glock Talk, you can continue to do that too. :supergrin:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  2. Z71

Z71

I own an old G17..and a slightly newer G19..gen1 and gen2 guns.

On the last round from the G19..the ejected empty comes close or hits me in the head.

I figure the Glock 19 is just telling me the mag is empty a split second before the I realize the slide is locked open.

The old 1980's Glock 17 doesn't pitch brass in my face. The G19 only the last shot...other pistols I own(and I own plenty) don't hit me with brass.

I've replaced extractors on three pistols in my shooting career..a Bauer .25 'cause it had a worn out extractor...a Star B for same reason..and a P08 Luger 'cause it broke the extractor. None of these were hitting me with brass though.

Heck!..I've got a couple auto-pistols that don't even have extractors(a Taurus PT-22 and a Beretta Tomcat)..they don't pelt me with brass either. My P38 chunks the brass the wrong direction...but doesn't hit me.

If I were to buy a handgun that pelted me with empty brass in a regular fashion...I would have to have it fixed or get rid of it.

To me...it seems odd that handgun manufacturers can and have produced auto-pistols since at least the late 1890's that are fairly free of the BTF issue...but that suddenly one specific maker of pistols is having troubles getting empty brass to the ground without touching human skin with the expended brass!! Something odd with that..

3. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

Only gun I had that ever sent an occasional piece of brass on my head was an AMT Backup in .380 auto. And even then, it was "ricochet brass" that hit the side wall of the gun booth before hitting me.

4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I don't see how "delaying" ejection by shortening the ejector would help, in fact it would make the problem worse. The weak/erratic ejection happens because the case is not held firmly. Modifying the ejector won't change that. That's why changing from the 336 ejector to the 30274 didn't help many people (including me).

And yes this problem predates Gen 4s. Go watch older YouTube videos and you will see crappy ejection.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  5. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

NOOOOOOOOOOOO Don't tell that to everyone here.

The experts here insist it's MIM parts n stuff. :whistling:

6. PAGunner

PAGunner

Without a doubt some guns, maybe a decent number of Goocks had issue, but it didn't become this widespread until glock changed to the MiM dip extractor, late 2009. My LZT Gen3 19 with non-dip extractor has never malfunctioned or pelted me in the head in thousands of roinds.

7. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT Ex-Gunslinger

+1!

I have an AMT .380 Backup and it does the same thing!

First shot ----- brass will hit you in the forehead. 2nd shot goes down the back of your neck if you're wearing a short with a collar.

After firing +100,000rds through various Glocks and never having BTF I feel the problem is shooter error.

Everybody keeps posting about changing the extractor and I'm like WTF? why would you change your extractor to solve an ejection problem?

Ask any "Old school" 1911 shooter and they will tell you that if you are having ejection problems it's in the ejector.

"Old school" 1911 shooters are known to hone, lengthen, shorten, change the angle of the face, etc. to the ejector to get their brass to fall in a certain place.

My 1911 with a "tuned ejector" will drop all of its brass into a 5 gallon bucket. So does my G20, G23 and G35.

If you have a BTF problem and there's nothing wrong with your basic fundamentals of pistolary ( ie your stance, grip, etc.) then your BTF problem is in the ejector.

Spyder

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

After firing +100,000rds through various Glocks and never having BTF I feel the problem is shooter error.

If it's shooter error than why would it only happen with my Glock and none of my other guns? Tell ya what, if you're so dang sure it's shooter error, let's trade Glocks (after I shoot yours to verify it works). I'll even throw in $50 for your trouble.

why would you change your extractor to solve an ejection problem?

Is that a serious question?

If it's not the extractor I guess Apex has just wasted a lot of time and money developing a extractor that fixes the problem.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  9. Bruce M

Bruce M

Before this thread turns into a thread similar to maybe a hundred or two of similar topic, I think I want to know how anyone managed to get a Bauer to shoot enough to wear out an extractor!! Even if it was only say 37 rounds that wore it out...

10. DocWills

DocWills

1986 Gaston took a hit in the head knew it was a message from John Browning, good job.:tongueout:

11. Ogie

Ogie

As far as the Gen 4 G19 goes, the new RSA and ejector should fix the problem, if you have one. The new ejector has a larger surface area on the tip. The RSA number is 043 and the new ejector is the 30274, or the entire trigger mechanism housing with ejector which is 30275.

I see at the other place that all your enemies are sick or dead. :supergrin: (Figuratively speaking of course)

12. dgbee456

dgbee456

Late 2009 to 2012.
    Late Gen 3 and Gen 4 9mm's mostly.

13. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

No, actually anybody having ejection issues out of a 1911 would immediately suspect the extractor before anything else. That is if they knew anything about a 1911.

All that might be done to an extractor, but not an ejector. You don't really know what you are talking about, do you?

By the way, aren't you the guy who claimed to use a Beretta 93R in combat? Yeah, I thought so...

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1434880&highlight=Combat&page=3

14. Z71

Z71

Don't know how it got worn out?...The Bauer was a jammer when I got it..and the extractor looked beat...I stuck a FN Browning Baby extractor in the Bauer and it works great.

15. FFR Spyder GT

G36,

Time to add you to my ID ten T list. Since you were in the military you'll will know wha it is.

Been shootin' 1911s for over 36 years and you tweak the extractor when you have extraction problems and you tweak the ejector when you have ejection problems.

Extractor = Extraction

Ejector = Ejection

Pretty simple

Spyder

16. FFR Spyder GT

My Glocks are in my sig line. When you get to Hot Springs send a PM my way and I'll give you my phone number and I'll show you the proper way to shot you Glock then you will not need to trade them away.

Spyder

17. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Yeah, I sure you make a lot of idiot list. Now about that Beretta...

:rofl:

And no, I never served in the military.

18. FFR Spyder GT

You've never been in the military but you're an expert on the military?

Ok. Time to move you up 3 spots on the ID ten T list.

19. 92GTA

92GTA

Someone should start a thread with all the models and their production dates that do NOT have an issue.

My June 2012 production G22 has absolutely 0 issues and ejects flawlessly.

I use 180g FMJs in several brands, never an issue. Never tried re-loads. Never tried a lighter grain. Even when my friend who shoots a SIG limp-wristed it, it still ejected as it should.

20. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

Is your friend a female?:supergrin: