Glock Talk banner

So what's the consensus regarding the Magpul Glock mags.....

10049 Views 67 Replies 46 Participants Last post by  Warp
Yeah, I know....another Magpul thread.

I'd like to pick up a few or maybe quite a few of the Magpul Glock mags. I have not had a chance to test any, but I did read about the small hiccup they had with the earlier generations. If they are on the cheaper side, say $10ish bucks, I'd pick some up. Considering OEM mags are about $18-19, the 2:1 ratio seems like a fair deal.

So what's your thoughts or opinion?
Reactions: coreymcl
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

· Registered
59,814 Posts
I bought one to try. I did try it at the range. I am confident that in a year from now the number I own would be one.

Reactions: Paul53

· Registered
7,556 Posts
I think I would rather go to a gun show and buy used metal lined oem that drop from my gen 2. If they have hiccups, they will be marked as suspect mag and used for practice jams on the range. I have enough edc mags that I keep in the carry pouch that I'm sure work well.

· Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again, not having seen one in person, are they really that cheap feeling plastic?

In all fairness, when the PMags first rolled out, I was in the camp of how the heck is a "plastic" polymer mag is going to hold up versus a GI/Aluminum mag.

· Registered
56 Posts
I don't think they're $10ish. Seems I saw them on sale for $15ish recently, they may drop Pmags did. I will probably get a couple, but as yet no experience with.

· Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
12,024 Posts
We need a pic !
Sorry, I am not going to dig them out, I have (40) 17's, (40) 26's and (20) for 30s.
If you ever compete ie GSSF you will use 10 mags per category, and if you shoot 4 categories thats 40 mags. Steel Challenge (8) courses of fire times 5 runs= (40) mags. I do not like to reload mags at a match, do not like to rush, fatigue my hands and keep my head on whats going on.

· Registered
264 Posts
Though I have a ton of (Magpul) mags for my AR, I'll stick to Glock mags for my Glocks. If it ain't broke...

Reactions: Paul53

· Registered
3,232 Posts
I'd like to try a few but right now the price difference isn't great enough for me to purchase any. I'm having no problem buying OEM Glock mags for $19.99 new. Also, at the last 2 GSSF events I've been able to load up on Glock mags that are used but 100% reliable. They are only $10 each.

If the PMAGS get down near the $11-12 mark then I'm in.

· Registered
59,814 Posts
At a USPSA match two weeks ago a guy in my squad was having issues with his G34 and Magpul mags.

After agreeing to use some of my factory mags, he went the last 4 stages without a single hiccup.
It was not a match but my experience was with a G34. I am glad I only bought one.

Reactions: Paul53 and HEXE9

· Registered
1,000 Posts
I've been thinking about trying out a 17 sized one as my spare carry mag, since I have no idea why I carry two G19 mags.

I'm generally a fan of Magpul products thanks to the military, but it seems like I may end up waiting these out longer if they're hit or miss like it sounds.

· Registered
1 Posts
The only issues we have seen are in dusty conditions with steel cased ammo, but the springs in the PMAGs are just slightly stronger than a regular Glock mag spring, so if a particular load and recoil spring combo is right on the hairy edge of just having enough energy to function with Glock mags, the extra pressure could potentially make a difference. Although the upward pressure from the round stack during cycling is slightly higher, required stripping force is generally less, so it's really close to being the same. We have been unable to produce a load/spring combination in testing that causes an issue in a PMAG that doesn't also cause issues with stock magazines.

The higher friction of steel cases on the reinforced polymer runs just fine until they get dirty, then we've seen some issues. Brass cased ammo runs fine clean, dirty, dusty...doesn't matter.

If anyone sees anything different, we'd be very interested in hearing about it, and more than happy to take care of any issues.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.