So what's for supper tonight?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Hannie Caulder, Mar 30, 2018.

1. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Well when I was 16 I was staying with some friends of my parents(Illinois) essentially they were my guardians for several months and I lived at their house atop a hill in Escondido, California. They had a small orange grove out back that went down hill to the horse coral. Beyond was a whole bunch of very cool places to ride or hike, lots of cliffs and rock formations.

I was hiking one day and I was surprised by a rattlesnake, I had never seen one before, I jumped back in time but it was close. I killed the rattler with rocks eventually smashing it's head. I carried it back to the house. One of the Marines staying at the house while recovering from a shrapnel wound to his shoulder while in Vietnam, helped me out with the rattler. Skinning it and then putting it on wire to stretch and keep in place while it,dried out, then a hatband was made. He then cooked the snake and we all had some for dinner. Well it does taste just like chicken...well pretty damn close, and I'd rather eat that than that f***ing escargot sh**!

While staying in Escondido, I shot my first rifle(22), learned to surf(At Carlsbad) and ride horses(Just a blanket on horse and a halter bit), those were some great days. Two years later I was in the USMC and in Vietnam.

flyover, CanyonMan and xTerpx like this.
  2. xTerpx

xTerpx Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)

Pierogis...pastry-like shell packed with a potato puree, cheese, and love. :)

flyover and syntaxerrorsix like this.

3. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Hamburgers with Walla Walla sweet onions, Mushrooms, jalapeños, pepper jack cheese a littel mayo, a little sriachi ketchup, and a little mustard. And a few kosher dill pickle spears to go with the burgers.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    JohnnyE, steve1911 and CanyonMan like this.
  4. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

Still better than a Marine telling me about his Marine friend killing a rattler for dinner for other Marines in a Marine compound possibly creating new Marines that may or may not fought in Vietnam all while thanking him for his service...

Who doesn't love Pierogis?

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  5. syntaxerrorsix

6. xTerpx

xTerpx Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)

Charlie doesn't surf.

7wyM.gif

cyberghostx13 and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  7. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

They're good with sour cream and butter. but ketchup? -Yuck.

JohnnyE and MaxB like this.
  8. syntaxerrorsix

True story. Marine or otherwise.

G30SF/F-250 likes this.
  9. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

What's left of my world famous meatloaf, more freshly made mashed 'taters and brown gravy. I'm thinking a volcano of mashed 'taters with crumbled up meatloaf on them and covered with gravy. MMmmmmmm!

flyover and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  10. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
  11. Intolerant

Intolerant

Finishing up the last of the goulash the lil woman made. And a BIG shout out to Mr flyover for mentioning the Worcestershire Sauce added to it, it was great! I added just a little bit, changed the flavor nicely. It actually gave it a little sweeter taste. Thank you Mr flyover, i`ll be adding some WS everytime we have goulash from now on.

;)

12. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Great story amigo...!

As you (probably) observed, skinning that rattler is like skinning a catfish, then gut him, then thoroughly wash with cold water, cut into "link style" slices, and roll in cornbread and flour 50/50,
    and deep fry...

Your snake skin is stretched, and we use borax, 'when' we have 'tanned' them in the past.
    Sounds like you had a great time with that Marine, and a good meal and hat band to boot! ;)
    Glad you also got to do some ridin as well, and glad you learned that bareback bronc needs a blanket on his back... Can't beat that!

Thanks for the story!
    Thank you Hombre, for your service! ;)

CanyonMan
    :horse:

Out here:

86308.jpg

!cid_001c01c9efb9$b3144c90$6564a8c0@Northwest2.jpg

!ATT5.jpg

IMG_00204444.jpg

IMG_088002.jpg

Attached Files:

13. flyover

flyover

I haven't seen Pierogis in a long time. I have had them before, just not a favorite.

xTerpx likes this.
  14. flyover

flyover

Had a late dinner at Freddy's but I will warm up the leftover pasta after a bit.

steve1911 and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  15. cyberghostx13

cyberghostx13 USMC "The Few The Proud"

Thanks for your compliment. Now for your pictures, are those all personal experience photos(I think they are, but hate to assume)? Those are just fantastic shots. Do you sell the meat? Make a lot of belts and hatbands? Your sure living the life, I'm jealous as hell, but I'm a little old for the tough stuff anymore.

Before I go just one more story about rattlesnakes. We young Marines were done with Boot-Camp and were deep in the boonies of Camp Pendleton learning a bunch of different combat stuff. It was some great and needed training but very hard and intense.

Well one of the Marine instructors a big, tall, no fat, black Marine and he had been in Vietnam as well. I don't remember the class but that doesn't matter. We were grouped together under some trees and he was teaching. An assistant, a corporal came up to the instructor and handed him a large dead rattler. The instructor then adapted quickly and changed the class subject.

The subject now became how to skin, gut, and prepare the snake for eating. He stretched the snake wide with his arms, just for effect, next he pulled the skin all off in like one motion. Stretching the snake again but horizontally, our eyes were like popping out, he took a big bite outa that raw snake, collectively our jaws dropped, that instructor was definetly "Hard Core" for sure.OOORAH! Later.

flyover likes this.
  16. Glockalong

Glockalong

flyover and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  17. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

All on the ranch:
    In the desert southwest, rattlers are common. This is just "one" den. These rattlers come out of the dens in this part of the country around first part of April. The one in the pic that was stretched out on the ground with the tape measure, was 5'3" I believe. It is the smaller/babies that are the worst, as they have NO rattles for a while, and at 12" or so, and in the buffalo grass during spring turkey season, we make "guest" wear snake legginis while hunting turkeys. One bite from the babies is as bad as a bite from a mature 6' rattler.

We do not sell them, just shoot them, HA, they do make a 'tasty meal every now and then...' ;)

Been around these guys most of my life, and used to them, YET still respect their presence !
    Raw? No thanks! ;)

Be safe amigo
    Stay well.

CM
    :horse:

cyberghostx13 likes this.
  18. napp32

napp32

I learned to drink beer with anchovies. I didn't really like the taste of beer; but I've always been a salt addict. Anchovies on saltine crackers made the beer taste better. I may or may not have been somewhat underage when this occurred. :drink:

19. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    They really are great sources of nutrition.

Seafood, not cats...

I am a living Yin Yang when it comes to health.....

:cheers:

1723293D-80CF-48AA-A740-48F1FA408ED5.jpeg

20. steve1911

steve1911

shrimp fried rice.

1911club#410

flyover and G30SF/F-250 like this.