So what's for supper tonight?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Hannie Caulder, Mar 30, 2018.

1. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

So since I decided to change course and dump gas grilling, I have been learning all about smoking, etc.

I didn’t want to dirty the built in Wolf gas grill, so bought a Weber kettle and have been experimenting with a Slow and Sear, different charcoal and smoking wood.

Today will be a smoked Boston Butt. My wife has been marinading it for two days with her spicy carnitas concoction. I will get it on the grill and smoking at about 10am, hopefully get the temp stabilized at about 225 degrees and start moving a few things over to the temp place we rented for a place to stay until our house is done being built.

I won’t buy a real smoker until we get settled in the new place, probably next spring for the smoker, so the Weber will have to do.

I will report back on how pork pulls apart and tastes, maybe a few pics if I can figure out to post from my iPhone. Some fun.

2. rj1939

rj1939

I usually do the cooking on Mondays, always something simple. The wife has two longer days a week and Monday is one of them. Tonight it is chicken tacos, first attempt, but it isn't rocket science.
    Wife gets few days off, Labor Days isn't one of them........but it is overtime.

WeeWilly, Badazuwanme2b and flyover like this.

3. papershoot

papershoot

I fired up the old Texas style smoker. I should have started earlier in the day. I'll be smoking a couple small boneless Boston butt roasts with Byron's rub on them, using homegrown hardwood. I have a pot of pinto beans simmering with some hog jowl and country ham for seasoning. Maybe start some fresh green beans later.

4. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Joe!, studawg170, steve1911 and 5 others like this.
  5. xTerpx

xTerpx

Grilled chicken for the bambino; I opted for a liquid lunch/dinner, so I don't have to labor in the kitchen today...wouldn't want to violate any social Labor Day norms.

IMG_4462 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4458 - Copy.JPG

6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Looks like a terrific menu. :)

xTerpx, G30SF/F-250 and flyover like this.
  7. G30SF/F-250

G30SF/F-250 Pinky Out Platinum Member

PA to LA to NY to FL to IL to VA to GA to OH to FL
    That reminds me.

I should start drinking now.

:cheers:

8. SRS

SRS

I’d be interested to know how that two-day marinade works. I’ve never done anything but dry rub on pork shoulder pre-cook. Normally I’d be worried about that long of a soak causing texture problems, but I can see it working in the smoker. Like I said, I’m curious.

WeeWilly and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  9. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I will let you know with an after action report. The marinade is a spicy concoction she uses when roasting pork shoulders for summer meals. Things like salads, rice bowls and tacos. It is sans salt, so there isn’t any of that kind of conditioning going on.

I was going to do a dry brine (24hr) and rub (just before placing), but she wanted to try her spicy recipe smoked.

I am shooting for 202F internal prob and then 1 hr+ fir resting before pulling.

G30SF/F-250 and SRS like this.
  10. Captain Steinbrenner

Captain Steinbrenner

You slacker you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deputy tom, WeeWilly and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  11. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

I just had a cold meatloaf sammich. Thin sliced meatloaf (wife's recipe), let, tom, onion, pickles, must, and mayo....yummy. Ice cold skim milk to wash it down.

12. Captain Steinbrenner

Captain Steinbrenner

I did roasted chicken tights, rice, black beans and coleslaw salad, SWMBO asked for seconds so I think it was guut...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

One of my biggest eating and drinking breakthroughs came recently.

I had gotten to the point that I could only tolerate a glass or two of wine just pre and during a meal. Anything else was pretty punishing and when I willfully departed the above prescription, I paid the price.

I had written the above off to a theory I had that you only have so many drinks in you and I got all of mine out of the way early.

I was in getting my annual checkup with my Mormon internist and explained my intolerance for alcohol. While he felt it might not be all bad, he did ask about my water intake. I told him I was always pretty much of a camel, but lately have had bouts where I just forgot to drink any water at all during the day. He explained that as you age, many people lose their thirst receptors and just don't ever feel thirsty, right on through dehydration.

I set a series of alarms on my iPhone to remind me to drink water. I can now enjoy a pop or two of my favorite Bourbon before dinner and have pretty much as much wine as I want (always less than a half bottle anyway). No hangovers at all.

It is like a new lease on life. :)

Got to go, my iPhone alarm is ringing, more water. ;)

pupjoint, JohnnyE, OGW and 1 other person like this.
  14. Badazuwanme2b

Badazuwanme2b

27FDE38D-EDC3-4393-B26E-44C9B3E11141.jpeg Tonight will be chicken and rice.
    But this will be dessert!!

Joe!, pupjoint, studawg170 and 4 others like this.
  15. G30SF/F-250

I do my best to stay hydrated because I know I stop drinking water after 5:00 PM.

Stay Thirsty My Friend. :cheers:

16. billorights

billorights

This beautiful Labor Day I grilled BBQ chicken. Made potato salad. Wife made mac and cheese, and baked Cauliflower. Corn on the cob. And chocolate pie. Had all my kids and grandkids over, except my beautiful daughter and SIL who now live in Texas. Sure missed them.

17. steve1911

steve1911

T bone steak med. rare. baked potato sour cream, bacon bits Hormel, cucumber onion and tomato salad, beer.

1911club#410

18. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

So we just finished the smoked pork shoulder (Boston Butt as per our butcher). It was really good, thanks to YouTube. I know my wife was skeptical, but I think it will become our standard pork shoulder summer recipe.

We had it with her kale/radicchio salad (dried cranberries and crumbled Gorgonzola with a raspberry vinaigrette dressing) pretty stout stuff. It stood up well to the spicy smoked pork.

Consistency was perfect, it fell apart as I divided it.

I will post the spicy marinade, more of a paste than marinade. It will be great for spicy taco carnitas and pulled pork sandwiches, which I will get with her killer slaw but sans bread. :(

19. G30SF/F-250

We don’t need bread!

WeeWilly likes this.
  20. G30SF/F-250

I love bread.....

I do miss bread at times but overall I am glad I no longer consume it.

WeeWilly likes this.