Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Olympics on, I was thinking what an Oly training program would look like for the average Joe (me). I think I might experiment with something like this for 2-3 months in late fall. I'd test my strength before (DL, BS, BP and press) and after, and see what type of effect Oly training would have. Just thinking casually now, but it might become reality if you guys can help with building a program.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey TR, are you talking about a strength program centered around thye OLs or a OL training program?
Sort of both, I guess. I'd like to know how real OLifters train - what are their exercises, rep schemes, etc.? Knowing that might be too advanced for me, I would then consider a S&C program centered around O-lifts. I want to see if the explosive training will change my strength in the long run.

·
Registered
487 Posts
From past experience, I will add a little bit here. You will need to spend some time with a highly experienced Oly lifting coach. They will be able to help you get the technique down for the Clean & Jerk as well as the Snatch. You are going to find the set/rep structure to resemble a 3 rep 5-6 set structure. I have been coaching powerlifting including the Oly lifts for the last 12 years. I currently work as a personal trainer, but I spent 1.5 years training with a great coach in order to get the technique correct. It will take some time, but the benefits are wonderful.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Well, the Bulgarians believe that to get stronger in the OLs you do the OLs. Joe Mills and American Weightlifting great and coach ertrordanaire had a 20/20 program. 20 C&Js and 20 snatches. Add weight when all lifts are done in good form.

Now remember, I never had any reason to learn andy programs further than beginner. The Hercules Barbell club used and beginners program of:

Snatch 8x2
C&J 8x1
FS 5x5
Press 5x3

rotate which exercise is done first.

I pretty much did something similar to this.

If you want some more I will have to dig them up. I cannot give any elite programs because I don't know what they are.

BTW, I've always like the PM WOD and Coach Mike's WOD.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Oh yeah, something from Gary Valentine...........

Monday
1. Snatch...3 x 3
2. Behind Neck Jerks...3 x 5
3. Front Squats...5 x 3
4. Snatch Pulls...5 x 5
5. Sprints...40 yards, 5 sprints with 20 seconds rest in between

Wednesday
1. Cleans...5 x 3
2. Back Squats...5 x 5
3. Standing Press...3 x 5
4. Clean Pulls...5 x 5
5. Jump Rope...10 second sprints, 5 sprints, with 20 seconds in between

Saturday
1. Snatch...5 sets, up to a max single
2. Clean and Jerk...5 sets, up to a max single
3. Romanian Deadlift
a. Snatch Grip...2 x 5
b. Clean grip...2 x 5
4. Straight Arm Shrugs...2 x 5
5. Vertical Jumps for height...10 jump per set, 5 sets, 20 seconds rest in between

·
Registered
487 Posts
Oh yeah, something from Gary Valentine...........

Monday
1. Snatch...3 x 3
2. Behind Neck Jerks...3 x 5
3. Front Squats...5 x 3
4. Snatch Pulls...5 x 5
5. Sprints...40 yards, 5 sprints with 20 seconds rest in between

Wednesday
1. Cleans...5 x 3
2. Back Squats...5 x 5
3. Standing Press...3 x 5
4. Clean Pulls...5 x 5
5. Jump Rope...10 second sprints, 5 sprints, with 20 seconds in between

Saturday
1. Snatch...5 sets, up to a max single
2. Clean and Jerk...5 sets, up to a max single
3. Romanian Deadlift
a. Snatch Grip...2 x 5
b. Clean grip...2 x 5
4. Straight Arm Shrugs...2 x 5
5. Vertical Jumps for height...10 jump per set, 5 sets, 20 seconds rest in between

This is a pretty good setup^^. If you mixed that in with some CrossFit, you would be an animal in no time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm a little short on time, but a very GENERIC description of a "real" OL program is this:

-Competition lift
-Pull
-Overhead
-Squat
-Hip dominant exercise
-Core/Accessory work
-Multiple sets, primarily 1-3 reps, rarely over 5 reps

Depending on how many sessions you can fit in during a week and what your level of experience is, determines how you would lay it out. Again, that's just the most basic description. All the variations and accessory work would be included. There were some good examples in the previous posts.

When I get the chance, I'll post a sample OL program and an OL-based strength program I designed for some football players a few years ago.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are getting me jazzed about building an Oly program. Need to build a platform within the next month or two. Then, I just have to figure out if it is going in the basement or garage.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, om Coach Mike's site, under the tab "Programs", there is a 12 week program that looks solid. It is in spreadsheet form.
Thanks, CJ. I have a lot of reading and studying to do before I dive into an OL program. I think going to have to go visit the local OL club and see about joining, to learn proper technique.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
If you are solid in the bottom position without the need for heel elevation than I think you are good with Chucks.

I can squat clean in Chucks w/o a problem. Squat snatching is a different story. I need a heel for that and therefore I require shoes.

Can you get a solid rock bottom OHS in flat shoes?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts