So what sports did you play in HS?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Hannie Caulder, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

I wanted to play soccer and softball but my parents would not allow me to do sports. The girl's volleyball coach asked me to try out for the team based on my PE class performance, but I had to tell her I knew my parents wouldn't let me. I have often wondered if playing high school sports would have had any impact on my character development.

Rotn1 and Hannie Caulder like this.
  2. Dafrank

Dafrank

In different years I played different sports. I liked lots of sports and mostly played them in HS for the sheer fun of it, and didn't get too serious about it as I wasn't looking for a college scholarship, but loved just the sheer joy of playing them and enjoying the comradeship of my team mates. Soccer for one year. Football for one year. Track for one year. Wrestling for two years. Tennis for three years. And, some baseball in a non-HS league in my freshman year, but that doesn't count.

Tennis was my favorite of all. We had a great team and a good coach who, although he trained us pretty well, wasn't a fanatic about winning, just more so about improving and doing our best. I'll never forget how much fun we had on the team bus, going to and from all the "away" games. And we were pretty good too. We came in second in the N.Y. state championship twice. I played first doubles and occasional third singles.

One of the funniest things about it that I remember was a story that some of you might find interesting. This was in the mid 1960's. Our coach happened to be good friends with an old tennis tournament pro named Bobby Riggs. When our team met him at our practices, he would come and volley with us and even play practice games with us. He was by then washed up as a tournament player and specialized in hustling money from club players and getting paid for "trick shot" demonstrations. If you're old enough, you may remember from the tremendous publicity at the time, in the later 1970's, that he was the man who played the famous match against Billy Jean King that was publicized as the event that would show the world how great were the women pro tennis players at the time. Of course, Billie Jean beat him somewhat handily. But then again, so did my high school team's first singles player ten years earlier. However he did give us some good tips and was absolutely a riot to be around. I remember when he challenged me and my partner to play a game against me and my doubles partner, two against one. He was right handed and he started out bragging by using his left hand, but he soon switched back as we beat him pretty badly in that, of course, uneven contest. But he took the loss with great humor and was friendly as hell, despite his minor celebrity status at the time. But, still, when the match with Billy Jean came up, I knew that the whole "ballyhoo" about its significance was ridiculous, because, by then, given about two weeks of training, I might have been able beat him single handed myself, and I hardly had played a game in 10 years at the time.

Oh well, memories - our one treasure that the IRS can't tax.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    Rotn1 and Hannie Caulder like this.

3. azbuckeye

azbuckeye

Lettered all 4 years Varsity Beer Drinking

4. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Football, Basketball, plays. (It can be a sport when you jump from stage, climb rail to balcony to fix lights, lower yourself down for your entrance.). I got so used to (as you had to go 60 yds to stairs, then 50 yds back. But down stairs before you went up....
    I did it when the faculty director was present...... not good.
    What I learned in 7th grade. Training, teamwork beat natural ability but no training. What I mean. 4 guys on 7th grade football team of average ability can now walk all over the better athletes who didn’t go out for football.

Hannie Caulder likes this.
  5. Mister Clean

Mister Clean

The only "sport clubs" that I participated in that were sanctioned by my High School were:

- The Rodeo Club (Calf roping and "one" Saddle Bronc "riding" event. One and done.)

- The Bicycle Club (Participated in the United States Cycling Federation, inter-state, point-to-point ROAD RACES, multi-lap CRITERIUMS and TRACK CYCLING races held in a velodrome. Began as a Category 5 and worked my way up to Category 2.)

- The Frisbee Club (Don't laugh . . . we won first place at the State Championships.)

As an aside, I attained the rank of Eagle in the Boy Scouts while I was still in Junior High School. And I remained active throughout High School (i.e. Boy Scouts, Order of the Arrow & Explorers). Although my troop was not sanctioned by my High School, I think it is worth mentioning because there were certain elements that required physical fitness and leadership skills. (For example: Backpacking, Hiking, Camping, Swimming, Lifesaving, Rowing, Canoeing, Kayaking, Cycling, Marksmanship, Rifle Shooting and Shotgun Shooting.)

My Explorer Post was sponsored by the local Fire Department. Every year we were required to pass the exact same physical agility tests that the paid firefighters undertook. We also attended training sessions to become NFPA Level 3, Certified, Volunteer, Firefighters. We fought grass & wildfires, structure fires and motor vehicle fires alongside the paid staff.

Plus - during the summers when school was not in session I lived in a bunk house on a local ranch and earned $5.50 per day (plus room-and-board) working as a "Hired Hand". Roping & branding cattle. Running cattle thru "dip tanks" to treat them with insecticides. Repairing barb wire fences. Ordinary run-of-the-mill, day-to-day, ranch chores on horseback (i.e. physical labor).

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  6. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Football, track, and wrestling played legion baseball in the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Kathy did, and still has a "good stance" no matter what she is doing.

And just how "BIG" are you??
    Here in Maine, that's a pretty bold statement unless you're a couple ax handles wide.

8. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 Friends Call Me "Flash"

I loved wrestling and enjoyed 4 years of intramural wrestling. I had a knack for it and anyone who wrestled me, got banged up.

Would have loved to be on the school wrestling team, but I kept getting tossed out of school. For each class missed on a suspension, 2% was deducted per day. One Senior year report card was D,D,D,F and a C! Later, appeared before the School Board, got thrown out of a class and didn't graduate with the class of 1964.

Flash

9. Victor Dubya

Victor Dubya The Kindly Curmudgeon

I forgot to mention that I did go out for football in my freshman year. In the late summer, we had to practice late in the day and on the first Sat, I remember the sound of the modifieds at the local race track doing their hot laps. I asked myself, what in hell am I doing here? That was the end of my football career. I didn't take too well to learning all those plays either.

10. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I had no use for sports, but loved, loved, loved running since I was a kid. We didn't have track in any of the schools I went to in NYC, but when we moved out to Long Island for HS I broke the school record for the 440 in gym class. Coach begged me to join track & field but I wanted to surf, skateboard and get high instead. Coach hated us "longhairs" and made our lives miserable and refused to let me run in gym class again. Coach was out for jury duty or some such reason and I ran the 440 event the following semester and beat it again by two tenths. Man, he was pissed. HH

Budqweiser, Hannie Caulder and Lazy R like this.
  11. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

Football, running back and outside linebacker. Baseball, third base, left and center field, catcher. Ran track/cross country one year. Lost a knee during senior year, doctors reconstructed all my ligaments and tendons out of hamstring muscle. Recovered enough to play baseball when the season came around. Physical therapy and rehabbing the knee was rather difficult but it has held up pretty well, considering everything I put it through since then.

12. as400guy1

as400guy1

4 years of football and wrastlin'
    3 years of shotput.

13. IamtheNRA

IamtheNRA

I played soccer for two years. I was a halfback/midfielder.

14. fjrdc

fjrdc

Varsity Football , fullback after that I found rugby and I thought I was tough, didn't have nutt'in on them rugby players, beat myself half to death for four years and had enough.

15. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

photo inserted to enhance the click bait-ness

Hannie Caulder and willie_pete like this.
  16. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

<--------- JV and Varsity Cheerleader and Pom Pom watcher!!!!!!!!!

My Senior year, the day of the Homecoming Parade and Football game, there was nobody willing to give the cheerleaders a ride to the beginning of the parade.

What the Hell............. I volunteered and had THIRTEEN Cheerleaders in my '62 Pontiac Catalina!!!!!!!
    Arms. Legs. Rearends. EVERYWHERE!!!!
    In the seats. On the rear package shelf. On the dash.
    Arms. Legs. Hands. Mouths. Everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!

Dated one of the Cheerleaders for several months after that day!!!!!!!! :)

Paraphrasing Frank Sinatra.......... "In 1972.... it was a very good year........"

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeDfgUvyKHk

Hannie - - Thanks for letting me take a trip down (good) memory lane!!! :)

17. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

Swimming, track and girl chasing...

BTW....lettered in girl chasing...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    byf43 and Hannie Caulder like this.
  18. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Fencing.

Swords, not stolen goods.

(not my pic)
    [​IMG]

19. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

upload_2020-10-1_19-38-53.jpeg

By the time I was in Junior High it was pretty clear I was no athlete. I was a decent piper though and the pipe band and solo piping were my extracurricular activities, along with amateur radio and girls.

20. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

And I bet the girls chased you LOL.

I was skinny in HS too (BF says I still am LOL). I was also the tallest girl on the softball team so they put me on 1st base.

I waitressed during HS at the local diner. In the summer I worked for Daddy running the TLB.

I'm afraid to ask what that is.

I was wondering the same thing. But she does have a good batting stance.

!
    Did your parents know about that?

:rofl:

Were they afraid you would get hurt?
    MBNAIWID

You win the honesty award.

5-9 138.

But did you catch any?
    LOL

azbuckeye likes this.