so what parts have you broken ..

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by harleyfx69, Mar 7, 2010.

1. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

im curious what parts you have actually broken on your guns ..

myself,

either me or my dad did this one, not sure as we didnt notice it as the gun still functioned perfectly, american arms p98 broke the slide,

on my dads 1022, i cleaned it for him, and it was so dirty that he springs and everything fell out of it and they would no longer work, so i had to replace those, but it still worked about 95% of the time even though it was very dirty ..

extractor blew out of tec 22

other than that i havent really broken any parts..

and i do shoot quite a bit with a variety of different guns

2. ranger88

ranger88 CLM

Hmmmmm...good question.

On a Colt Combat Elite .45 ACP, I managed to break the slide stop lever off (MIM part). Easy fix, I bought a Wilson lever to replace the broken one.

Had a Beretta 92FS blow up in my then wife's hand (double-charged reload). It bulged the trigger mechanism and the slide lever out from the gun. No slide, barrel or frame damage was noticeable. Sent it to Beretta and they fixed it all for free including shipping. Even X-ray'ed it to make sure that their were no cracks or damage that couldn't be seen.

Thinking that's about it.

3. Gokyo

Gokyo

Glock slide stop pin

that is it.

I shoot a lot and have owned a lot of weapons.
    I guess glocks are no good. :)

4. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

Firing pin return spring on a 1911. It still worked, not even so much as a slam fire. I discovered it while cleanig.

5. SHG21

SHG21

springs, sites, and various parts on my ancient 22.

6. smokin762

smokin762

I had a Winchester 1400 that I used for deer hunting for years. When I quit hunting, I put a barrel on it for shooting Clay Pigeons. I took it out to shoot some Clay targets and the forearm split on it. I don’t know what happen but I called Numrich, ordered a new forearm for it, and never had a problem again with it.:dunno:

Once, I was cleaning my L1A1 (inch pattern FAL) and I got a cleaning patch caught in the gas piston tube and I had to take the tube off to get it out. The next time I took it to the range it was a jammomatic. After checking it, I discovered the roll pin that secured the gas tube in place fell out. I replaced it and it was fine.:embarassed:

7. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

On this S&W mdl 19:
    [​IMG]

The barrel split from the forcing cone toward the muzzle, 1-1/4" directly above the ejector shroud after only 125 rounds.
    The ammo used - Remington 125 gr 'semi-jacketed' hollowpoints.

I took the revolver back to the gunshop where I bought it, and they sent it back to S&W.

This fantastic mdl 19 now has over 15,000 rounds through it, with only a trigger job and having the forcing cone re-cut, since the barrel change.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  8. DesertEagle.45

DesertEagle.45 USMC 8531 Lifetime Member

Slide lock spring on my G27. It broke while I was at the range. After cycling the round the slide just fell off the front of the frame.

9. Fritz1

Fritz1

Locking block pin on my G20 after firing a few thousand max loads. No difference in performance, I found the broken pin while cleaning the gun.

10. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Hammer on a Savage 24V. Extractor spring on an Anschutz .22. Whatever the rod is called that guides the recoil spring on a 10-22.

11. -gunut-

-gunut-

Slide stop lever on my Glock 22

12. fastbolt

fastbolt

As a firearms instructor and armorer I've long since lost count of the broken, damaged and worn parts which have required replacement in any number of different make/model/caliber firearms.

Owner/shooter abuse and neglect (as in failing to perform the manufacturer's recommended standard maintenance practices) can contribute to the potential for a parts failure/breakage or succumbing to wear & tear sooner than might otherwise occur, but sometimes even a new part can unexpectedly fail, or be out of spec and unnoticed during production.

Why do you think they make spare parts? ;)

This thread serves to again remind me that I need to place an order for more Glock parts, though. I've had to turn away a number of folks who needed replacement parts (broken) for their Glocks. I've been busy with other makes/models and let my Glock parts get used up when repairing/servicing guns. :whistling:

13. Road Dog

Road Dog Senior Member Millennium Member

Beretta 92 firing pin. It broke in half at some point but the gun never malfunctioned. I fired it enough with the broken pin that the two pieces were smoothed out from hitting together so much. One afternoon I arrived home from shooting a pistol match, locked the slide back and the firing pin slid out of the slide. I fired that gun a lot.

Also a firing pin spring on a FN double action "hi power."

14. 22highcaps

22highcaps

Take down lever on a Ruger MKII
    Multiple forends and forend tube assemblies on 870s
    Castle nut on an AR15
    A2 Flash Hider on an XCR

Note that in all cases there was no defect in the design or construction of said parts.

Just me trying to force something that was stuck.

15. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Was rebuilding a S&W .38 Spl. 1905 3rd.
    Rebound spring disintegrated in my hands.
    Bought all need springs.

Recoil shield on my first M58 where the firing pin comes through wore back.
    Smith fixed.

Glock:
    locking block pin
    springs
    extended slide lever

:supergrin:

16. 2afreedom

2afreedom

I broke the ejector (not to be confused with the extractor) on a Kel-Tec PF9. KT sent me a free replacement and I fixed it and sold it the next week. Otherwise I've been very lucky with guns holding up.

17. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

fast bolt im not talking about things that youve seen, as i too was an armorer and a gun smith and a gun builder / repairer,

so i have seen things that would make your mouth drop on the abuse / neglect / stupidity end ..

just what youve personally broken

18. Berto

Berto woo woo

Firing pin, Star BM and Enfield 2a1.
    Barrel Bushing, Colt 1991a1 Compact
    Recoil Spring plug, Colt 1991a1 Compact (single tab jobby, since changed)
    Hammer Nose, S@W M@P K frame .38sp
    Magazine catch spring , S@W 422
    Bent ejector rod, S@W no dash 36
    All I can think of now.

19. rfd339

rfd339

g27- front night site fell off around 6000rds.
    XD357sig-Recoil spring broke in the 5000rd mark.
    1969 SW model 36 broke the firing pin, lol......finally .

20. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

Personally responsible for breaking? Nothing

Had broken for me? Hammer on a SWD MAC-12 (.380 MAC clone). That was caused by a range officer at a local range "stove piping" the closed bolt weapon with no bolt hold open feature.

He jammed a .45 casing in to force the bolt to stay open when he called a cease fire.. My dad was shooting it at the time and didn't question the RO when he asked to inspect the weapon.

Weapon failed to fire immediately after.. when I popped it apart, half the hammer fell out. Manager was brought to the firing line to inspect, I got loud and rude, got free ammo/range time/part replacement covered.

Had fail on me? Some spring in a Bersa .380.. caused the gun to go off and almost shoot me in the leg (finger out of trigger guard, brought the weapon down to "low ready" and the hammer dropped).. sent it back, sold it right away.

Everything else I've ever replaced has been "general use" stuff.. never broken anything. I tend not to use a "bigger hammer" when dealing with my firearms.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010