close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So what kind of watch does everyone wear?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Roger1079, Sep 27, 2012.

1. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

Not good for you or the watch. I salute your common sense Sir. A very valid reason indeed. :wavey:

2. maxmanta

maxmanta

Breitling Colt Ocean Quartz that I've worn every single day for the past twelve years. It's actually made an indentation in my wrist. There's no other watch that I want.

3. michael e

michael e

Fossil, cheap and I like them. Good enought for me, it tells me the time and thats all i need.

4. Anglin_AZ

Anglin_AZ

Sometimes it'shard to choose...

[​IMG]

5. professorpinki

professorpinki Bumbling idjit

Actually, not a professor.

I answered your question that you posed directly.

My point is that just because people don't say anything or seem to notice doesn't mean they don't notice at all. Every movement you do makes you judged by those around you - even by the prissy Paris Hilton and Nicky Minaj wannabee teens. And, certain actions and things that surround you enhance the motive of would be attackers. Like not locking your doors. But you should know that, being that you're on here at Glock Talk, and being that your handle suggests you were in the Corps. Lack of having been attacked yourself does not equate to lack of risk of attack.

6. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

I have 3 watches that I wear for appropriate occasions.

. Timex Explorer - huntin', shootin', fishin' workin', etc
    . Elgin Gold/Stainless steel with one diamond - for medium nice
    . Wife and I have matching Fossil watches for super nice.

7. Hef

Hef Stop Obammunism

Thank you. I've worked for and with guys who are missing fingers from accidents on table saws and chop saws, and I have friends who are amputees. I refuse to join them. I was taught in 8th grade shop class not to wear jewelry or anything else that might get caught in a machine, and have heeded my shop teacher's warnings my whole life.

8. Roger1079

Roger1079

The only thing I can guess is that I look young (early 30's) and when not at work I am normally in sandals, a tshirt, and jean shorts. Not the attire most people would associate with someone wearing an expensive watch. It is just like when I walked into Cadillac to buy my last car. I was completely ignored for about 20 minutes before I finally approached a salesman for assistance. I can only attribute it to the fact that I was dressed as I mentioned above when I walked in the door.

9. devildog2067

devildog2067

The cheap automatic movement that Invicta uses in the Pro Diver series is a seriously nice movement for $25. When I built watches for my groomsmen a few years ago, that's the base movement that I used.

But if you honestly think a Miyota 8215 beating at 21.6 kbph can keep "better" time than a COSC certified 3135 beating at 28.8 kpbh, you have another think coming.

10. Roger1079

Roger1079

I am not an Invicta basher in any way, however I assure you that under almost all conditions, the Invicta Pro Diver DOES NOT keep more accurate time than a Rolex.

The Invicta uses a Swiss Sellita SW200 movement which is adjusted for 4 positions. The Submariner uses a Rolex 3135 movement which is adjusted for 5 positions and also temperature variation. Positions are dial down, dial up, crown down, crown up, and so on. What this means is that in those adjusted positions, the watch movement is less likely to have a variance in seconds.

Common sense will tell you that more adjusted positions as well as taking other factors into account will equate to a more accurate timepiece. No automatic movement is perfect, and ALL of them will lose or gain seconds over the course of a day, but your statement about the Invicta being more accurate than a Rolex is completely inaccurate.

11. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

None of this last paragraph has anything to do with my original post that we've been discussing. Just more "BS".

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  12. Roger1079

Roger1079

When I looked up the Invicta SWISS AUTOMATIC PRO DIVER
    Model 9937 the Sellita SW200 movement came up as the installed movement. Are they using Japanese movements in some of their Diver Pro's?

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

The cheaper Pro Divers (the 89xx series) uses the Miyota, the more expensive ones (the 99xx series) used ETA 2824 or 2836s until a few years ago, and now use the Sellita SW200 or SW300 (clones of the 2824/2836).

Both the Sellita and Miyota movements come out of Chinese factories. The Sellitas are assembled in Switzerland, to Swiss specs with Swiss quality control. I've torn down several of those movements and they are quite good.

However, again--if you expect the lowest-grade ETA or Sellita movement to perform to the same level as a COSC certified 3135, you're going to be sorely disappointed. The ETA 28xx ebauche is a fantastic, well-designed movement, but it takes a lot of careful tweaking to make one run to within COSC specs. A lot of the lowest-grade ones never will.

14. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

I didn't say all Invicta's are more accurate than all Rolex's.

The question was if my cheap piece of junk Invicta keeps better time than a Rolex, doesn't that make the Rolex a terribly expensive piece of junk?

My buddy has a submariner. My invicta Pro Diver keeps better time. Pisses him off to no end. Add to that his wife thinks the pro diver looks better than his submariner because the center links in the bracelet are polished and he really gets steamed.

BTW, my every day wear pro diver has the Miyota movement.

I can't remember which ETA movement is in my Swiss Invicta.

I'm not a Rolex basher. When both daughters get out of college, I will finally purchase a submariner. I like them, but since I don't have the spare change at this point in time, I gotta go with what works reliably, looks good, and is affordable.

I just get tired of the same garbage that is posted by a certain individual when Invicta is mentioned.

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

It doesn't.

16. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

I'm 41 now but for the last 10 years you're describing me in terms of age and daily dress.

Put it this way, I had black crocs for formal occasions..

17. Bruce M

Bruce M

18. Fed Five Oh

Fed Five Oh NRA Member

Didn't mean to upset you.

19. Roger1079

Roger1079

I hear ya. Invicta does make some quality watches and nobody can argue that their prices are great. My complaint with them and the reason I do not own one for my every day watch is the lack of creativity with many of their models. Many of their designs are extremely similar to watches made by other established manufacturers and I doubt this is a coincidence in any way shape or form. The pro diver is only one example of this.

It seems like they are riding the coat tails of the popularity of the more expensive manufacturers by designing their watches the way they do. I am certain that there are many people out there that bought the pro diver simply because it looks very similar to the submariner. That to me is a questionable business practice hence why they have never gotten any of my money. Just a personal choice and in no way a jab.

20. Roger1079

Roger1079

For formal occasions I actually do own a couple Brooks Brothers suits, however wearing them has been limited to weddings and funerals. The next closest I come to casual dress are dress shoes, dress pants, and whatever obnoxious colored Tommy Bahama I happen to grab out of the closet. The rest of my clothes come from JC Penney and Target.

Clothes have just been one of the things that never meant much to me. My taste in expensive items is limited to guns, cars, home electronics, and watches not in any particular order.