close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So what kind of watch does everyone wear?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Roger1079, Sep 27, 2012.

1. podwich

podwich

For me, there's just something about the tiny, complicated machine that is an automatic watch. It's an incredible masterpiece of mechanical engineering that I can wear on my wrist. While a quartz is interesting from a technical standpoint and may well keep better time, it just doesn't have the same allure to me. You may well not agree, but that's fine. It's just how I feel about it, that's all.

2. railfancwb

railfancwb

Best of the breed from the clearance section at Walmart...

3. Schaffer

Schaffer

i always have my mobile device on me. I break watches and won't spend anymore than 20 bucks on one.

I have 3 watches. One is a cheap walmart special. The other two were given to me by each of my grandfathers. One is a pocket watch that my grandfather on my dad's side had given to him by his grandfather.

The other was given to me by my other grandfather, who received it after being in the local brick layers union for 25 years. Letting me wear it under the condition that i gave it back to him at some point. I never got the chance to give it back.

Both will be passed on to future generations of my family simply for sentimental value.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  4. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

Thanks, gentlemen! I love the Sinn and rarely take it off. I feel a little guilty leaving the Omegas idle but the 856 just works so well. Seems nearly indestructible and is just a very practical and easy to wear watch.

5. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

Philistine.

6. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

1977 Benrus Type II Class A military dive watch

7. 2-8 Marine

2-8 Marine Limp Member

Blah, Blah, Blah . . . more mumbo-Jumbo "BS". Muddy up the issue much? You still didn't answer this simple question. Of all the people you came in contact with yesterday, how many of their watches did you even notice? You refuse to answer because you'd have to say NONE! My original point which seems oblivious to you, was that MOST people don't notice what watch other people are wearing. Not all, but Most. You made a rediculiously, wild over statement incintating that most people notice, but don't comment out of common courtesy, and now you're stuck with it. Trying to muddy things up with the "BS" in your last two posts won't help.
    Yes some people - and I classify that as a very low number including the criminal element you so adamently persist in citing - though how they could be considered courteous, I can't perceive, might do as you say. But, the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of honest, everyday society go through their daily lives never noticing the watches that others are wearing. However, you'll never accept that simple truth, will you? No need to answer as now you've gone and bored me, so to you I say :wavey: I'm off to enjoy my Sunday.

8. roberev

roberev

I collect and wear two brands primarily: Ball and Doxa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rob

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

9. roberev

roberev

I love the Sinn!

I've managed to hold on to this one:

[​IMG]

Rob

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

10. Shagrat

Shagrat

For me, I now wear my Seiko Kinetic Diver on a daily basis, while my Ulysse Nardin 1846 chronometer spends its days on a winder. At 11 years old it still runs at -2 seconds a day which is pretty accurate for a mechanical watch.

Rolex (I have owned six in my long life) is an entry level "high end" watch. They are mass produced; they do not take a year to build, but in saying that, they are rugged and and when adjusted properly, can be very accurate watches. One reason for Rolex's popularity can be attributed to their huge advertising budget.

Unfortunately, apart from those that appreciate quality wristwatches, many buy a Rolex so that they can demonstrate their (perceived) success. "I paid $25K for this baby" was the worst I ever heard one blowhard say. In the high end watch world that's chump change. Try two or three hundred thousand for a Patek Philippe complication, and then you're into some "high end" credibility.

11. Roger1079

Roger1079

99.9% of the replica watches for any luxury brand are junk built with quility standards far below any genuine watch, be it a $10 Casio or a $150,000 Patek Philippe. In case you have never heard of the brand I just mentioned, they are a watchmaker based out of Geneva Switzerland that has been in the business since 1839. Their watches start around $16,000 and go all the way to the $400,000 mark and beyond. This is an example of what certifedfunds was talking about when he made mention of chuckling because Rolex is really an entry level luxury watch.

If you have ever handled a real Rolex, most fakes are easy to spot unless you are willing to spend $600+ in most cases. Anything less than that and you are getting something made from parts that are cheap Chinese garbage. Being that it is also an illegal industry, quality control and warranty are virtually nonexistant so you are on your own after the sale and this is all assuming that US customs does not seize the package on the way into the country.

Aside from that, I would never wear a replica simply because I did not buy my watch for recognition from other people. I bought it for my own satisfaction. If it was something outside of my budget, I would not have it. That philosophy goes for my guns, cars, and any other nonessential items that I own.

Plus, if I am going to be mugged, brutally beaten, or murdered for my watch, I would damn sure feel like an idiot if it was for a fake. If any of the above is to transpire, the object that causes it may as well be genuine.

12. Roger1079

Roger1079

You beat me to it as I was typing. The funny thing is you made reference to the same luxury watchmaker that I did. As you can see, my thoughts exactly.

13. Wasatch

Wasatch back again

Everyday wear: Seiko Orange Monster

Hard labor: $20 Citizen knockoff (Field & Stream "Ocean Angler")

Running: Garmin Forerunner 305

14. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

I feel exactly the same way. It's one of the reasons I like pistols too - the way a semi-auto functions in sequence and a wheelgun clicks in perfect timing. It's a concert of mechanical movement, with a powerful outcome, all in your hands.

Cue the adolescent comments...

15. Shockem841

Shockem841

I use to wear a fossil,it was nice and lasted....Now i just use my phone.

16. w30olds

w30olds Magpul whore

Older Luminox
    Casio G-Shock

17. sappy13

sappy13

Ironman triathlon runtrainer when I actually wear a watch

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

18. victormikelima

victormikelima Tactical-Yogi

A GW9200-1 G-Shock Riseman (great battery life/solar powered + very durable, reliable, and simple wqtch) and I just got the Suunto Quest Runners Pack (the Heart Rate Monitor is the main reason I got this watch, I've heard that it is not durable and easily scratched, so I only wear this when I'm not doing anything rough or when I'm working out/exercising).

19. rahrah12

rahrah12

I love watch threads on Glocktalk...

Not really in to watches at the moment but when I was younger (early 20s) I thought I was pretty cool with my Kenneth Cole watches...I didn't know.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  20. Anglin_AZ

Anglin_AZ

You got a lot of Balls.