Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Ill admit it. I havent been working my abs like I should.

So.. I started today with the following.

Using a bench:

Flat bench situps 20 reps.
Decline bench situps 20 reps.
Side bends 20 reps each side.
Side twist with bar behind neck 20 reps each side.

I will add 5-10 reps every other day until who knows.
:freak: :freak:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Hanging leg raises and declined situps. 3-4 sets of each, as many as I can do. I don't add any weight. Side bends 3-4 sets of 15 with 60-70 lb dumbbell in one hand only.

I can do crunches all day and all night and my abs never get sore. My abs will burn like fire and I'll not be able to do another rep, but then nothing seems to happen because of it. I started to notice much better results when I canned crunches and went back to these more basic exercises. My hip flexors also get a better workout. Some people want to eliminate them from the exercises, which boggles my mind. They are a critical link in the chain.

DBD

·
NRA4EVR
11,698 Posts
Weighted situps (as much as I can handle for five or six reps in a set) for three sets. Three or four days later, two or three sets of hanging leg raises (straight leg, trying to touch the ceiling on the first couple reps with no swing) for as many reps as I can do. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Originally posted by Timothy658
Could someone explain side bends to me?
I'm not sure what you mean, so:

In a standing position, hold a dumbbell in your right hand (probably need a wrist strap). It should be directly at your side. I find that it works best if feet are very close together, may 2-3" apart. Lean to the right, sliding the dumbbell down your right thigh. I stop when it gets to about my knee. Don't lean forward. Try to keep your torso sliding only to the right and left. Return to the vertical position. Repeat. Do about 10-15 reps, which will require a fair amount of weight. Do other side.

Is that what you were looking for? It's about as simple as an exercise gets.

DBD

·
Banned
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Side bends /w weights? But.... In Joe Weiders book it says not to use weight while doing side bends. Anybody know why? I'll look for it in my book as soon as I have time. :beer:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Originally posted by mossy500camo
Side bends /w weights? But.... In Joe Weiders book it says not to use weight while doing side bends. Anybody know why? I'll look for it in my book as soon as I have time. :beer:
No weight? I think I could start a set of side bends without weight right now and probably just stop due to boredom tomorrow sometimes. You sure you ain't readin' that wrong?

DBD

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Originally posted by Timothy658
Could someone explain side bends to me?
Another very effective way of doing side bends is to use an empty barbell. Put the bar on your back like you are squatting. The difference being that you should have the bar as off-centered as possible. In other words, get as close to one collar as possible. Obviously, bend towards the long side of the bar.

Jack

·
Banned
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by DBradD
No weight? I think I could start a set of side bends without weight right now and probably just stop due to boredom tomorrow sometimes. You sure you ain't readin' that wrong?

DBD
Yep! " do not use weights" due to the the side muscles (obliques) will increase in size (muscle growth) fat under muscles will make you look fat. If you dont have fat you will look "wide". LOL!

Ps
This (the above) was not from the Weider book. but it sums it up in a way. Ill post the exact article from the book tommorrow.:beer:

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Originally posted by mossy500camo
The MAN (Joe Weider) that started it all and you dis him?:upeyes:
Dis him? I don't know what he typed or why he typed it. I know I've seen pictures of big-time bodybuilders doing side bends with weight.

Even if the obliques get larger, I really don't see that as a problem.

First, I doubt that any normal (read "natural") person is going to put on enough obliques size to make a difference. It might make a good yoyo excuse though--It's not fat, but all the side bends I've been doing! :rofl: Keep in mind also that squats give the abs a tremendous workout and I doubt that Joe Weider would recommend not doing those.

Second, I'm interested in health and athletic performance also. It seems unwise to work some of the torso muscles with weight and make them big and strong, but then not condition their neighbors. Seems like an unbalanced situation and an injury waiting to happen. Just flopping back and forth with no weight about 800 times isn't going to do much of anything.

DBD

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Brad,

No inside joke. I just think your average, drug free trainer could find better training advice.

Now, Weider could give good advice on how to make money with glossy magazines with pictures of Anabolic Steroid users to sell worthless supplements and cheap all-in-one home gyms and make a fortune. If that's the advice you are looking for he is the MAN.

I also can't tell if it was a joke or not stating that the Weiders started IT ALL. What about Calvert, Paschall or Milo of Cortina?

Jack

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Originally posted by California Jack
...Now, Weider could give good advice on how to make money with glossy magazines with pictures of Anabolic Steroid users to sell worthless supplements and cheap all-in-one home gyms and make a fortune. If that's the advice you are looking for he is the MAN.
He is definitely the master at that! I have absolutely no respect for pro bodybuilding. All those guys should be rounded up and thrown in the can. What a joke. I need to go over to cop talk and post a question about why law enforcement turns a blind eye on steroid use.

I also can't tell if it was a joke or not stating that the Weiders started IT ALL. What about Calvert, Paschall or Milo of Cortina?[/B]
One might be able to argue that he was a huge player in bringing bodybuilding to the mainstream.

DBD

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
One might be able to argue that he was a huge player in bringing bodybuilding to the mainstream.

DBD
Maybe Brad, I won't argue that. But if one agrees to that, one might be able to argue that bringing bodybuilding to the mainstream was NOT a good thing for the sport. One might also be able to argue that Weider gave momentum to the movement that took HEALTH out of Strength and Health.

But for sure he did not start strength training or physical development. You'd agree witht that correct?

Jack

1 - 20 of 35 Posts