So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Hannie Caulder, Nov 19, 2019.

1. bandsaw

bandsaw

Inviting my Nephews, both Vets over. Eating a lot of Turkey, stuffing, mashers, gravy, green beans, crescent rolls and PIES...My God, the PIES.....PECAN w/Chocolate Chips, Pumpkin and maybe a Key Lime. Pie for Breakfast first. Mid day we start the feast.
    My wife loves to cook and entertain guests. I'll make the pies and mashers.

Hannie Caulder and redrick like this.
  2. Pete perfection

Pete perfection

3. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

My wife is heading out to her parents on Thanksgiving day. We had all planned to go, but one of the relatives was diagnosed with a pretty bad cancer, so a part of the party dropped out and nobody felt like “Thanksgiving”, so she is going down alone. Her parents are in their 90’s so big get togethers are kind of tough on them anyway.

I will be home with the dogs, smoking a turkey in the Traeger. For me, it is all about the leftovers anyway. :)

4. powernoodle

powernoodle

Thanksgiving at the Powernoodle Compound: Boy 1 flies in from Chicago. Boy 2 comes home from university. 82 year old mother comes over. 76 year old mother in law declines invitation to leave assisted care facility and visit. Mrs. Powernoodle prepares everything while I try to help but do very little. Organic turkey from Costco.

Hannie Caulder likes this.
  5. jmohme

jmohme

Staying home and dealing with relatives that I may or may not want to deal with.

The wife lives for this kind of thing. She loves to cook and does an exceptional job of it.
    The woman could cook dirt and you would go back for seconds.

Hannie Caulder and redrick like this.
  6. flyover

flyover

A local city puts on a "Feed the Spirit" type of feed around Thanksgiving. Gives folks with nowhere to go a place to eat and hang out. Anything like that for you to attend?

7. WT

WT Millennium Member

Basically, same as last year. Going to #1 daughter's house, about a 2 hour drive.
    I do the heavy cooking.
    Beginning before dawn, turkey on the Weber charcoal grill. Later a ham covered with pineapples and brown sugar in the gas oven. I wrap them in foil and they stay pretty warm during the drive over.
    The daughters will do the sides and deserts.
    No. 2 daughter makes jalapeno pierogies as well as cheese and broccoli pierogies. For some reason, she is in a pierogie and borscht phase of life.
    I also have a box of cigars for afterwards. Maybe knock off a bottle of Remy.

8. WT

WT Millennium Member

You have my sympathy.
    When I was an EMT we used to call them 'Holiday Pageants'.

Hannie Caulder and pgg00 like this.
  9. pugman

pugman

Dealing with my family...which means drinking.

Black Friday will once again have me scoring my one big find of the year again...cat litter.

Seven cats means a lot of litter boxes and a lot of litter. Local place has a killer sale again...hoping to score the 2200#s or more I did last year.

Hannie Caulder and Jisbell40 like this.
  10. John_AZ

John_AZ

Working working working.

on call for thanksgiving and Christmas this year.

Hannie Caulder, deputy tom and pgg00 like this.
  11. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Great suggestion.

Another option is something we used to do each year. We would go down to one of the local churches and volunteer helping out with the homeless TG dinner they served.

We would get back in time to finish the fixings for our dinner, everyone with a little lighter step. Charity work is one of those endorphin triggers for me.

12. pgg00

pgg00

I was supposed to be on DRE call out and for major incidents. the chief changed it up. Now I'm working and the slacker has it off. Said he wants to make sure problems are handled aggressively so here I am. My opposite wants to be admin

13. NE89

NE89

Close to a decade now that my mom and pops have been divorced. Both of them are now re-married to different people. Which I guess is great for them, but it split the family apart that will probably never really recover. So I guess it's pretty accurate to say that it's awkward during the holidays with the family.

I am probably going to smoke a few cigars that I have been wanting to try as well as knocking back some Scotch and Bourbon that I've been wanting to try from my collection. I have to work the night shift on Thanksgiving Day so my employer throws us a big Thanksgiving Meal which is not bad. It's the usual offering. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, cranberry sauce, green beans, corn, sweet potato casserole, rolls and butter, and for desert; pecan, apple, pumpkin pie, or cheese cake.

14. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Me, the Wife and the dogs. Traditional dinner only smaller. We will drink and cook together. :cheers:

Hannie Caulder, Ramjet38 and redrick like this.
  15. John_AZ

John_AZ

I know your pain. Work hard enough, and you get to do everyone else’s work too!

Hannie Caulder and pgg00 like this.
  16. billorights

billorights

Just had lunch at Cracker Barrel with the wife and son. Always good. Love the Brussell Sprout and Kale salad. I think I would be satisfied with just that.
    Saw that they had a Thanksgiving dinner special, whole meal for 10 for $125! That would be a deal, and you know it would be all good. But, we have to cook everything or my kids would be disappointed.

Hannie Caulder and G30SF/F-250 like this.
  17. jmohme

jmohme

The best Thanksgiving I ever had was about 25 years ago. A local organization was cooking a bunch of turkeys and all the traditional sides and deserts.
    I was among the volunteers that were delivering TG dinner to elderly folks all over the area.
    I don,t think I even ate anything myself, but had a great time making old folks smile.

18. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

China Buffet, most likely. We’re in the middle of remodeling our kitchen so no cooking possible.

19. jcullen

jcullen

Being annoyed by my wife's scummer children and grandchildren, can't wait for the taillights to disappear down the driveway

20. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Finally met my half brother this year. His family is coming over.