Home > The Main Room > The Okie Corral > So this is what gets my goat about felons and guns...

So this is what gets my goat about felons and guns...

1. A few months ago a local career criminal got drunk and crashed his car into the sheriff's department...yep, right through the sheriff's office. Anyway, he's drunk and he has a loaded gun in his pocket and he is a convicted felon, having spent time for armed robbery....and guess what...the Feds only give him 18 months it...Hell, a guy like him can do that standing on his head...why they Hell don't they hammer the dumb SOB so that maybe some of his buddies will think twice about it..?

I bet there was some case worker in the court telling everyone what a good boy he really is and he won't do it again...

2. It's always catch and release with the real criminals.
    But they catch you at the airport with a pair of nail clippers and you get sent to gitmo.

3. Got a link?

4. More than likely it was a plea deal. The US attorney's office is usually interested in convictions and avoiding trials. I've seen plea deals for just a few years for homicides

5. I was on a dope raid where the guy who was dealing (convicted felon) was also cutting down the barrels of shotguns (less than 16-14 inches) and selling them. The PD handed it over to the feds who told us they didn’t want the case, prosecute it in the local circuit court.

They will kill a family on Ruby Ridge but they won’t prosecute a convicted felon dope dealer for altering numerous firearms. Crazy.

6. Seems like felon in possession of a firearm is always the first thing to get plea bargained away. Thought it was supposed to be 5 years....

7. It is no big deal for criminals to get caught with a gun. Little to lose. But let’s say we make a legal mistake. I personally had considered taking a virgin AR receiver. Making a AR pistol with a $240 PSA kit a yr back.
    I think totally legal. But maybe during the time I have a completed pistol upper (in my possession as it’s complete) but have not assembled the pistol lower. As I had a AR carbine. Could they charge me with having components to make a SBR?
    So what if I win in court. It could cost me $100k
    Point is laws scare law abiding. (Especially bad laws)

8. Did he use the firearm to hurt anybody? Sounds like the real story is a felon got drunk and crashed into the station. Having a ‘loaded gun’ shouldn’t even factor into the equation. Once somebody does their time, stripping them of constitutional rights is unjust. Now if they use that gun to hurt somebody, that’s a different story entirely. They should also be punished if they use any other inert object to intentionally hurt somebody (a pointy stick, a hammer, a baseball bat, a car, a fist, a jar full of hornets, etc).

If they are too dangerous to own a gun, they are too dangerous to be released. If they want a gun, they can find a gun, regardless of what laws are in place.

9. The only thing I agree with is the very last part of your statement.

10. The guy that killed those people in the Florida swamp had how many arrests and convictions again? I think it was over a couple hundred. The fact that people like that are even alive let alone out walking around is nothing short of astonishing.

I run into people weekly out in public; that 50 years ago would have been locked in a padded room of a state hospital and had the key thrown away, for good reason.

We can thank the Democrats for all of this, and it is not surprising.

11. Prosecutors take the easy way out to get more convictions. They want to be senator some day.

12. Did he use the firearm to hurt anybody?
    Not relevant. Its the law. And possession of a gun while intoxicated is illegal in many states.

Sounds like the real story is a felon got drunk and crashed into the station. Having a ‘loaded gun’ shouldn’t even factor into the equation.
    Ah but it is for the law.

Once somebody does their time, stripping them of constitutional rights is unjust.
    Again its the LAW.

Now if they use that gun to hurt somebody, that’s a different story entirely.
    So the first time (armed robbery wasn't enough for you? Maybe we should let him kill or hurt one of yours as a sacrifice? )

They should also be punished if they use any other inert object to intentionally hurt somebody (a pointy stick, a hammer, a baseball bat, a car, a fist, an jar full of hornets, etc).
    If it felonious ok.

If they are too dangerous to own a gun, they are too dangerous to be released.
    Well evidently not to your ilk.

If they want a gun, they can find a gun, regardless of what laws are in place.
    Yep

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

13. Did the "feds" give him 18mos in a federal court case, or was it the local state court who gave him that sentence, under state law?

14. If I talk enough crap, I eventually get some things right. ;)

15. I thought the Federal Law had a Mandatory Minimum on Felon In Possession. Guess not. Back in the day the Fed's tacked on 15 years, must have been found to be "Cruel and Unusual."

16. Just like anything else. If you have a job, mortgage, or any assets you get the full treatment. Nowadays it’s about asset forfeiture. Not the actual crime, punishment or rehabilitation.

17. Pretty much the way it is in Cal. If it looks like you have the money, you get the ticket.

18. Many decades ago a shooting friend at a local gun club, also happened to be an attorney. He told me that if I get caught in some simple gun violation; I'll be in a lot worse trouble than some punk with multiple convictions.

19. The criminal justice system, like universities and colleges, is BIG BUSINESS. Billions of dollars are spent to support it.

It employs thousands of people including C.O.'s, physicians, lawyers and judges, architects and construction workers and food suppliers and so on.

Repeat offenders are definitely required to keep the system rolling.

20. I don't think being too dangerous to own a gun is the issue. Losing your right to own a firearm is just another aspect of the punishment for committing a felony. Of course, felons can still obtain firearms. I'm not sure how that is an argument to allow them to legally purchase or carry one, tho.

21. Yep. Felons don’t need to vote or own firearms. It’s called consequences.

22. Far as I'm concerned, once their sentence and probation (if any) are complete, they should be able to purchase, cash and carry.

NO questions asked, just like anyone else should be able to purchase. That includes full auto.

23. 18 months on a fed gun case?!?

24. Um, no. There are laws against convicted felons from possessing firearms and ammunition.

Well then, if "they" illegally hurt/assaulted someone with any lethal weapon, that still a crime - regardless as to a prior convictions.

Oh, the old "paid their debt to society" fallacy. Losing certain rights is part of the punishment, where (with the exception of federal felonies) they can petition to have them restored.

I agree with this one, but unfortunately the legal system doesn't. Of course this were in practice, the prison capacity would would have to be increased by at least an order of magnitude.

25. ^^^^This guy right here, he gets it! He fully supports the Second Amendment and knows what the term, Shall Not Be Infringed, means. And I agree with him.

26. If a person can't be trusted to own a firearm by society they can't be trusted to drive a car.

27. Sheriff Nick Navarro served in Broward County FL when I lived there. His policy was to keep felons in jail. Criminals commit about 4 felonies a week. So, if you keep them off the street for a week, that is 4 felonies that do not get committed. It works. He had 36% of the state prison capacity from just one county.

28. AMENDMENT VIII
    Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

I’d say losing your rights for life for a felony, or a misdemeanor where the sentence could be more than a year would be cruel.
    Remember, anyone could be committing a felony at any time. There’s a lot of laws on the books!

29. Convicted felons dont get to own guns. Or vote. Not that they are to dangerous, usually just too stupid.

30. Not hardly. I've managed to live six plus decades without committing a felony and it really wasn't all that hard to accomplish. I also don't know anybody personally who has committed a felony. Amazingly, the vast majority of people in this country haven't committed a felony, despite all those laws. Or at least haven't been caught, which is the same thing for the purposes of this exercise.

31. Just think how the crime rates would plummet if we actually put people away for the required amount of time. No plea bargaining down. No activist judges. Do the crime do the time.

32. Isn’t conceal carry with a Chinese virus do nothing sheeple mask a felony? I haven’t followed the debate on that one closely.

33. I can actually see letting a non-violent felon petition to have their gun and voting rights back...however, violent criminals, (this guy had an armed robbery conviction) uh, NO.

I had a client who spent 27 years in prison for laundering money...27 years..

If I could get my scanner working I would post this story from our local paper. it might pop up on our TV station today.

34. Real criminals have no money. They want people like us who can afford to pay fines to continue to finance the trampling of your rights via "rulings"

35. Here are copies of the article, I hope they post in the correct order. You know I used to make things that flew in space for the Air Force but scanners kinda confuse me...
    Felon 1.jpg Felon 2.jpg

36. Here in New Jersey, from a period of 2004 to 2014, a punk:
    1. Deliberately ran over one of my clients with a car. It was brutal.
    2. Gets sentenced to drug rehab (he was supposedly on drugs during the attack).
    3. Gets caught with PCP and a cell phone in drug rehab.
    4. Gets released from rehab, sent to a half way house, escapes half way house.
    5. Gets sent home after being caught.
    6. Throws boots and shoes at cars coming down a hill, gets arrested. He's then released.
    7. Puts a knife to a cab driver's throat and robs him. He's released.
    8. Gets pulled over for going 90 mph in a 25 mph zone. His trunk has every type of drug known to man in large quantities AND a sawed off shotgun. He's released.
    9. Robs a man of $3000 (phony ATV sale), shoots at him as he's running away. Finally gets sent to prison.

My question: How did he not do jail time for number 8? A sawed off shotgun is a federal crime, all the defense attorneys and liberal judges in NJ shouldn't have been able to save him.

Edited to add:
    - he also was arrested for assaulting people and throwing rocks at police officers.
    - he is now out of prison, living in Florida.

37. Bill and Hillary Clinton haven’t been “caught” either. It makes a person no less Guilty.

38. It’s maddening isn’t it?

39. It is, although in NJ, I am used to it.

40. Been a lawyer for almost 31 years, and I hate to break it to you but ... a whole ton of laws are a revenue generator, aimed at the middle class as a silent tax. Parking tickets? Pfft, money-makers. Do the parking laws actually help anybody or anything? Of course not. How is the city a better place because I have to put money in a little silver container in front of the parking spot??

Adam Corolla tells the story about being in Los Angeles (where I used to live) and seeing a cop car sitting at a T-intersection or 4-way stop, waiting to issue tickets for rolling stops to people going to work while ignoring illegal fruit and hot dog vendors set up across the street.

Why? People going to work pay the tickets and generate revenue, the food vendors simply set up somewhere else.

41. You mean, felonies you have been arrested for.
    upload_2020-8-5_16-24-19.jpeg
    From Amazon:

The average professional in this country wakes up in the morning, goes to work, comes home, eats dinner, and then goes to sleep, unaware that he or she has likely committed several federal crimes that day. Why? The answer lies in the very nature of modern federal criminal laws, which have exploded in number but also become impossibly broad and vague. In Three Felonies a Day, Harvey A. Silverglate reveals how federal criminal laws have become dangerously disconnected from the English common law tradition and how prosecutors can pin arguable federal crimes on any one of us, for even the most seemingly innocuous behavior. The volume of federal crimes in recent decades has increased well beyond the statute books and into the morass of the Code of Federal Regulations, handing federal prosecutors an additional trove of vague and exceedingly complex and technical prohibitions to stick on their hapless targets. The dangers spelled out in Three Felonies a Day do not apply solely to “white collar criminals,” state and local politicians, and professionals. No social class or profession is safe from this troubling form of social control by the executive branch, and nothing less than the integrity of our constitutional democracy hangs in the balance.

So maybe in your deep, dark past you once applied pesticide to your garden at 10% over the prescribed dose.

Welcome to Leavenworth!

And no gun rights for you!

42. Always read and follow the label instructions. :whistling: You ever find a day in Kansas when the wind is under 10 MPH? :couch:

43. IIRC, federal prosecution of a gun charge, including that of possession by a felon, is one in a number that are rarely prosecuted. Don't know why that is, unless they believe it is a useless "add-on" charge. But the statistics where from the Obama period, so go figure.

44. Yep and felonies neither I nor anyone else is likely to be arrested for, or more importantly, convicted of.

45. Obviously, as no, it is not a felony.

46. Real criminals have lots of money. Street thugs? Not so much.

47. Real criminals with lots of money like Epstein and El Chapo just buy politicians and cops. Eventually they go down. But the damage is already done.

48. Having a sawed off shotgun is a federal crime, but the feds can't prosecute if they're not notified of it. These types of things are usually plea bargained away, i.e., do this and we won't notify the feds about the shotgun. Of course, I doubt the feds would have bothered with it anyway. They've got bigger fish to fry. Or think they do.

49. For the purposes of this argument, guilt is not the issue. Being convicted is the issue.

50. Not in North Carolina. Commit a crime with the mask on and carrying is however.