So this is what gets my goat about felons and guns...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Critch, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Otto Pistol

Otto Pistol

You mean, felonies you have been arrested for.
    upload_2020-8-5_16-24-19.jpeg
    From Amazon:

The average professional in this country wakes up in the morning, goes to work, comes home, eats dinner, and then goes to sleep, unaware that he or she has likely committed several federal crimes that day. Why? The answer lies in the very nature of modern federal criminal laws, which have exploded in number but also become impossibly broad and vague. In Three Felonies a Day, Harvey A. Silverglate reveals how federal criminal laws have become dangerously disconnected from the English common law tradition and how prosecutors can pin arguable federal crimes on any one of us, for even the most seemingly innocuous behavior. The volume of federal crimes in recent decades has increased well beyond the statute books and into the morass of the Code of Federal Regulations, handing federal prosecutors an additional trove of vague and exceedingly complex and technical prohibitions to stick on their hapless targets. The dangers spelled out in Three Felonies a Day do not apply solely to “white collar criminals,” state and local politicians, and professionals. No social class or profession is safe from this troubling form of social control by the executive branch, and nothing less than the integrity of our constitutional democracy hangs in the balance.

So maybe in your deep, dark past you once applied pesticide to your garden at 10% over the prescribed dose.

Welcome to Leavenworth!

And no gun rights for you!

2. flyover

flyover

Always read and follow the label instructions. :whistling: You ever find a day in Kansas when the wind is under 10 MPH? :couch:

railfancwb likes this.

3. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

IIRC, federal prosecution of a gun charge, including that of possession by a felon, is one in a number that are rarely prosecuted. Don't know why that is, unless they believe it is a useless "add-on" charge. But the statistics where from the Obama period, so go figure.

4. Pluto57

Pluto57

Yep and felonies neither I nor anyone else is likely to be arrested for, or more importantly, convicted of.

IamtheNRA likes this.
  5. Pluto57

Pluto57

Obviously, as no, it is not a felony.

6. Pluto57

Pluto57

Real criminals have lots of money. Street thugs? Not so much.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  7. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

Real criminals with lots of money like Epstein and El Chapo just buy politicians and cops. Eventually they go down. But the damage is already done.

flyover and Inyo Tim like this.
  8. Pluto57

Pluto57

Having a sawed off shotgun is a federal crime, but the feds can't prosecute if they're not notified of it. These types of things are usually plea bargained away, i.e., do this and we won't notify the feds about the shotgun. Of course, I doubt the feds would have bothered with it anyway. They've got bigger fish to fry. Or think they do.

IamtheNRA and Cambo like this.
  9. Pluto57

Pluto57

For the purposes of this argument, guilt is not the issue. Being convicted is the issue.

IamtheNRA likes this.
  10. thewitt

thewitt

Not in North Carolina. Commit a crime with the mask on and carrying is however.

11. fastbolt

fastbolt

If this was indeed a federally charged and prosecuted case, did it go to trial, or did the federal prosecutor just bargain the charges down?

The last felon w/firearm case I was involved in, where AFT asked to take it over for prosecution under one of their programs, I was told the suspect got 10 years. I was also told he'd have likely gotten a year, give or take, if the case had been tried at the state level.

Did ATF take the case against the armed felon in the OP's article, or was it just handed to a federal prosecutor who decided to work out a plea agreement without having it take up time on the federal trial calendar, and who wasn't particularly interested in pushing the felon/firearms charge as far as he could?

Details still missing from the articles (unsurprising, since it's the press).

Inyo Tim likes this.
  12. MrGlock21

MrGlock21

Also, most prosecutors- like most people in general- go the path of least resistance.
    There may be cases in which a "local career criminal" is connected or under the protection of organised crime and in order to avoid trouble or retaliation a decision is made to let it go.
    There are so many more sheep to shear.

Inyo Tim likes this.
  13. RenoF250

RenoF250

Yeah, they need to catch people buying fuel filters on the internet.

IamtheNRA likes this.
  14. Mugsie1

Mugsie1

I couldn't agree more. These "prosecutors" need to stop coddling these criminals and put them away for maximum sentences with no option for early parole or plea bargaining down. Make it so painful that to even think of committing a crime would cause them to crap their pants.

15. Dave Hill

Dave Hill

Our politicians and government employee are a crime gang.

16. ironhead7544

ironhead7544

The plea bargain systems is also known as "Let's Make A Deal!" show.

The penalty for home invasion in TX is 5 to 99 years. George Floyd got 5 years. He also pistol whipped a pregnant woman and put a gun to her belly. Why the minimum?

IamtheNRA likes this.
  17. Vito

Vito

The political climate right now would make it a very bad situation for a middle class, white, male who has been law abiding all of his life to be arrested and charged on some technical gun issue. As far back as the 1970's, in the bestselling novel "Bonfire of the Vanities", author Tom Wolfe describes how a rich, white male who hits a young black thug with his car while trying to get away from a dangerous situation, and becomes the target of the white D.A. trying to show the black community how supportive he is of that group. Today things are even worse, and some local prosecutor, trying to earn credibility with the scum from Antifa or the Black Lives Matter movement would likely be salivating at the chance to throw some NRA member, likely Trump voter, into jail for decades on ANY criminal charge. I have little doubt that even in the most clear cut self defense situation, a white gun owner that shoots a black young man will be treated like Public Enemy #1 and have the book thrown at him. Troubling times for sure.

45caldan, clancy and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  18. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bliksem

In the American justice system, punishment is meant to punish those for their violations, not to influence society's behavior.
    Society is presumed to be law-abiding, because it is the law, not for fear of punishment.
    A law-abiding society follows the law, because it is the law, not because of possible punishments.
    That's the reason people are presumed innocent, because it presumed they follow the law.
    Punishment is given to punish for the severity of the violation of the law, not to cause fear of punishment in society, that presumably follows the law.

19. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

I had to go back and find this post. Now that ACB also appears to REALLY support the 2A, do I still get to be the leper? Or have the tough on crime boys come around somewhat, in light of the times??

20. railfancwb

railfancwb

Show me the person I will find you the crime.

larry_minn likes this.