So this is what gets my goat about felons and guns...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Critch, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Yep. Felons don’t need to vote or own firearms. It’s called consequences.

2. Caver 60

Caver 60

Far as I'm concerned, once their sentence and probation (if any) are complete, they should be able to purchase, cash and carry.

NO questions asked, just like anyone else should be able to purchase. That includes full auto.

John Galt, Joe H, treg and 6 others like this.

3. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

18 months on a fed gun case?!?

4. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Um, no. There are laws against convicted felons from possessing firearms and ammunition.

Well then, if "they" illegally hurt/assaulted someone with any lethal weapon, that still a crime - regardless as to a prior convictions.

Oh, the old "paid their debt to society" fallacy. Losing certain rights is part of the punishment, where (with the exception of federal felonies) they can petition to have them restored.

I agree with this one, but unfortunately the legal system doesn't. Of course this were in practice, the prison capacity would would have to be increased by at least an order of magnitude.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  5. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

^^^^This guy right here, he gets it! He fully supports the Second Amendment and knows what the term, Shall Not Be Infringed, means. And I agree with him.

Gray Dood, railfancwb, Joe H and 5 others like this.
  6. Kentucky fan

Kentucky fan

If a person can't be trusted to own a firearm by society they can't be trusted to drive a car.

7. ironhead7544

ironhead7544

Sheriff Nick Navarro served in Broward County FL when I lived there. His policy was to keep felons in jail. Criminals commit about 4 felonies a week. So, if you keep them off the street for a week, that is 4 felonies that do not get committed. It works. He had 36% of the state prison capacity from just one county.

Caver 60 likes this.
  8. screwman

screwman

AMENDMENT VIII
    Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

I’d say losing your rights for life for a felony, or a misdemeanor where the sentence could be more than a year would be cruel.
    Remember, anyone could be committing a felony at any time. There’s a lot of laws on the books!

9. Trademark

Trademark tabula rasa

Convicted felons dont get to own guns. Or vote. Not that they are to dangerous, usually just too stupid.

10. Pluto57

Pluto57

Not hardly. I've managed to live six plus decades without committing a felony and it really wasn't all that hard to accomplish. I also don't know anybody personally who has committed a felony. Amazingly, the vast majority of people in this country haven't committed a felony, despite all those laws. Or at least haven't been caught, which is the same thing for the purposes of this exercise.

sheriff tom likes this.
  11. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

Just think how the crime rates would plummet if we actually put people away for the required amount of time. No plea bargaining down. No activist judges. Do the crime do the time.

sheriff tom, Terry G and Caver 60 like this.
  12. Hoochrunners

Hoochrunners

Isn’t conceal carry with a Chinese virus do nothing sheeple mask a felony? I haven’t followed the debate on that one closely.

13. Critch

Critch

I can actually see letting a non-violent felon petition to have their gun and voting rights back...however, violent criminals, (this guy had an armed robbery conviction) uh, NO.

I had a client who spent 27 years in prison for laundering money...27 years..

If I could get my scanner working I would post this story from our local paper. it might pop up on our TV station today.

14. NAZG26

NAZG26 Lost in transit

Real criminals have no money. They want people like us who can afford to pay fines to continue to finance the trampling of your rights via "rulings"

Caver 60 and treg like this.
  15. Critch

Critch

Here are copies of the article, I hope they post in the correct order. You know I used to make things that flew in space for the Air Force but scanners kinda confuse me...
    Felon 1.jpg Felon 2.jpg

Caver 60 likes this.
  16. Cambo

Cambo

Here in New Jersey, from a period of 2004 to 2014, a punk:
    1. Deliberately ran over one of my clients with a car. It was brutal.
    2. Gets sentenced to drug rehab (he was supposedly on drugs during the attack).
    3. Gets caught with PCP and a cell phone in drug rehab.
    4. Gets released from rehab, sent to a half way house, escapes half way house.
    5. Gets sent home after being caught.
    6. Throws boots and shoes at cars coming down a hill, gets arrested. He's then released.
    7. Puts a knife to a cab driver's throat and robs him. He's released.
    8. Gets pulled over for going 90 mph in a 25 mph zone. His trunk has every type of drug known to man in large quantities AND a sawed off shotgun. He's released.
    9. Robs a man of $3000 (phony ATV sale), shoots at him as he's running away. Finally gets sent to prison.

My question: How did he not do jail time for number 8? A sawed off shotgun is a federal crime, all the defense attorneys and liberal judges in NJ shouldn't have been able to save him.

Edited to add:
    - he also was arrested for assaulting people and throwing rocks at police officers.
    - he is now out of prison, living in Florida.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  17. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

Bill and Hillary Clinton haven’t been “caught” either. It makes a person no less Guilty.

syntaxerrorsix and Inyo Tim like this.
  18. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

It’s maddening isn’t it?

Cambo likes this.
  19. Cambo

Cambo

It is, although in NJ, I am used to it.

jimcorbin likes this.
  20. PrescottGlock

PrescottGlock

Been a lawyer for almost 31 years, and I hate to break it to you but ... a whole ton of laws are a revenue generator, aimed at the middle class as a silent tax. Parking tickets? Pfft, money-makers. Do the parking laws actually help anybody or anything? Of course not. How is the city a better place because I have to put money in a little silver container in front of the parking spot??

Adam Corolla tells the story about being in Los Angeles (where I used to live) and seeing a cop car sitting at a T-intersection or 4-way stop, waiting to issue tickets for rolling stops to people going to work while ignoring illegal fruit and hot dog vendors set up across the street.

Why? People going to work pay the tickets and generate revenue, the food vendors simply set up somewhere else.