So this is what gets my goat about felons and guns...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Critch, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Critch

Critch

A few months ago a local career criminal got drunk and crashed his car into the sheriff's department...yep, right through the sheriff's office. Anyway, he's drunk and he has a loaded gun in his pocket and he is a convicted felon, having spent time for armed robbery....and guess what...the Feds only give him 18 months it...Hell, a guy like him can do that standing on his head...why they Hell don't they hammer the dumb SOB so that maybe some of his buddies will think twice about it..?

I bet there was some case worker in the court telling everyone what a good boy he really is and he won't do it again...

2. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

It's always catch and release with the real criminals.
    But they catch you at the airport with a pair of nail clippers and you get sent to gitmo.

OttoLoader, Bus007, badge315 and 20 others like this.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Got a link?

4. pgg00

pgg00

More than likely it was a plea deal. The US attorney's office is usually interested in convictions and avoiding trials. I've seen plea deals for just a few years for homicides

5. jimcorbin

jimcorbin

I was on a dope raid where the guy who was dealing (convicted felon) was also cutting down the barrels of shotguns (less than 16-14 inches) and selling them. The PD handed it over to the feds who told us they didn’t want the case, prosecute it in the local circuit court.

They will kill a family on Ruby Ridge but they won’t prosecute a convicted felon dope dealer for altering numerous firearms. Crazy.

6. AF-Odin

AF-Odin

Seems like felon in possession of a firearm is always the first thing to get plea bargained away. Thought it was supposed to be 5 years....

7. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

It is no big deal for criminals to get caught with a gun. Little to lose. But let’s say we make a legal mistake. I personally had considered taking a virgin AR receiver. Making a AR pistol with a $240 PSA kit a yr back.
    I think totally legal. But maybe during the time I have a completed pistol upper (in my possession as it’s complete) but have not assembled the pistol lower. As I had a AR carbine. Could they charge me with having components to make a SBR?
    So what if I win in court. It could cost me $100k
    Point is laws scare law abiding. (Especially bad laws)

45caldan, IamtheNRA, Dr. Bill and 4 others like this.
  8. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Did he use the firearm to hurt anybody? Sounds like the real story is a felon got drunk and crashed into the station. Having a ‘loaded gun’ shouldn’t even factor into the equation. Once somebody does their time, stripping them of constitutional rights is unjust. Now if they use that gun to hurt somebody, that’s a different story entirely. They should also be punished if they use any other inert object to intentionally hurt somebody (a pointy stick, a hammer, a baseball bat, a car, a fist, a jar full of hornets, etc).

If they are too dangerous to own a gun, they are too dangerous to be released. If they want a gun, they can find a gun, regardless of what laws are in place.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Gray Dood, Gokyo, IamtheNRA and 15 others like this.
  9. flyover

flyover

The only thing I agree with is the very last part of your statement.

10. Glockman4

Glockman4

The guy that killed those people in the Florida swamp had how many arrests and convictions again? I think it was over a couple hundred. The fact that people like that are even alive let alone out walking around is nothing short of astonishing.

I run into people weekly out in public; that 50 years ago would have been locked in a padded room of a state hospital and had the key thrown away, for good reason.

We can thank the Democrats for all of this, and it is not surprising.

Gokyo, IamtheNRA, Caver 60 and 13 others like this.
  11. screwman

screwman

Prosecutors take the easy way out to get more convictions. They want to be senator some day.

12. TNRonin

TNRonin Happy g21/g19 /g43 owner! Millennium Member

Did he use the firearm to hurt anybody?
    Not relevant. Its the law. And possession of a gun while intoxicated is illegal in many states.

Sounds like the real story is a felon got drunk and crashed into the station. Having a ‘loaded gun’ shouldn’t even factor into the equation.
    Ah but it is for the law.

Once somebody does their time, stripping them of constitutional rights is unjust.
    Again its the LAW.

Now if they use that gun to hurt somebody, that’s a different story entirely.
    So the first time (armed robbery wasn't enough for you? Maybe we should let him kill or hurt one of yours as a sacrifice? )

They should also be punished if they use any other inert object to intentionally hurt somebody (a pointy stick, a hammer, a baseball bat, a car, a fist, an jar full of hornets, etc).
    If it felonious ok.

If they are too dangerous to own a gun, they are too dangerous to be released.
    Well evidently not to your ilk.

If they want a gun, they can find a gun, regardless of what laws are in place.
    Yep

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

13. fastbolt

fastbolt

Did the "feds" give him 18mos in a federal court case, or was it the local state court who gave him that sentence, under state law?

billy_56081 likes this.
  14. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

If I talk enough crap, I eventually get some things right. ;)

rogn, jimcorbin, flyover and 2 others like this.
  15. Terry G

Terry G

I thought the Federal Law had a Mandatory Minimum on Felon In Possession. Guess not. Back in the day the Fed's tacked on 15 years, must have been found to be "Cruel and Unusual."

Caver 60 and Inyo Tim like this.
  16. securitysix

securitysix

Just like anything else. If you have a job, mortgage, or any assets you get the full treatment. Nowadays it’s about asset forfeiture. Not the actual crime, punishment or rehabilitation.

17. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

Pretty much the way it is in Cal. If it looks like you have the money, you get the ticket.

Caver 60 likes this.
  18. Caver 60

Caver 60

Many decades ago a shooting friend at a local gun club, also happened to be an attorney. He told me that if I get caught in some simple gun violation; I'll be in a lot worse trouble than some punk with multiple convictions.

ironhead7544 and flyover like this.
  19. WT

WT Millennium Member

The criminal justice system, like universities and colleges, is BIG BUSINESS. Billions of dollars are spent to support it.

It employs thousands of people including C.O.'s, physicians, lawyers and judges, architects and construction workers and food suppliers and so on.

Repeat offenders are definitely required to keep the system rolling.

ironhead7544 and Inyo Tim like this.
  20. Pluto57

Pluto57

I don't think being too dangerous to own a gun is the issue. Losing your right to own a firearm is just another aspect of the punishment for committing a felony. Of course, felons can still obtain firearms. I'm not sure how that is an argument to allow them to legally purchase or carry one, tho.

railfancwb and motorcycleman like this.