So the day you've been waiting for.....

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by HomeLandPatriot, Feb 24, 2010.

1. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

The day has finally come, an opening has arrived at your dream job.... and in your home town no less!......

ecstatic, you read the job description, get ready to apply......

and bam, they changed the qualifications and you are no longer qualified for the job...... not a high enough grade yet.

Anyone else have a similar experience when hunting for a new job/ putting in for a promotion?

2. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I have put in for jobs where I met the quals on paper to have them reject me for not being qualified. Whatever. If they are going to dick you around like that on initial screening, you're probably better off not being there.

3. CJStudent

CJStudent No Longer Fenced In

I had that happen, too, only to call them back a few days later and them to say, "Yep, you are actually qualified. Now you have to wait until our next hiring session...." :steamed:

4. Bushido5150

Bushido5150

Yesterday I called the human resource department to ask them a question about their job posting from the states law enforcement website and the city's own website. Their response?

Human resource guy: "I don't know who told you we are taking applications, but we aren't"

Me: "well sir MCOLES and your website" (I was looking at their website when I said this)

HR Guy: "oh....umm...well.....those are mistakes..."

:steamed:

I'm applying anyway

5. WarCry

WarCry

I'm not in the LE line of work, but I've had that happen in other professions. My advice would be to apply anyway. The worst that can happen is they say "no" and you're in the exact same spot you're in now.

However, if they look at your info and say qualification A outweighs the lack of qual B, you may get a chance. You'll never know if you don't try, though.

6. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

Well the change in this case is a change in the time in grade. I don't have enough time on yet, and education won't bump me up high enough to compensate. Of course its an online app, so if I can't prove my time on, immediate disqual. Oh well, guess I check back next year, cuz then ill be qualified to today's standards....hopefully haha

7. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

I've had this happen too. Called the HR desk the next day, and apparently it was a problem with the computer, it was disqualifying anyone and everyone. HR lady told me I was amply qualified and manually overrode my application into the system. Gotta wonder what would have happened if I hadn't called.

8. evilwill

evilwill Speaks Jive

I've applied to several places within the department, that I know I'm qualified for, with no results. I keep thinking that I'm competing with guys with hooks and that most of those positions are already filled (with a nod and wink)before they're even posted

9. The Hawk

The Hawk

Oh yeah, been there, lived that. Many years ago (25 or so) I applied for police officer job in Jeff. Co. KY. Passed written, oral, physical exam. Was told that due to Federal Court order, they had to hire 80% minority for at least the next two classes.
    Things work out OK though. I got on with the state and have now retired from LE.

10. HomeLandPatriot

HomeLandPatriot

Thats good that things worked out for you. WIth this job it is one of hte things that I want to do with my life, and I still have plenty of time, so not that big of a deal. In a years time ill be qualified. Just hope another opportunity like this one comes along while I'm looking.

11. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Those pesky Psyche evals, get ya every time huh?

:rofl::rofl:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010