close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So tell me if I messed up starting a refinish job.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mellio, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Mellio

Mellio

I have a Russian SKS I paid about $115 dollars for it more than 10 or 12 years ago. I was recently looking for a low budget gun project to work on a little bit. I decided to reifnish the SKS . I have removed all the laquer off of the stock and I also took the black finish off of the bolt and sanded to a bright fininsh. I was telling a guy at work about it and he told me the Russian SKS are worth way more than the others and I should have not messed with it. He said it was possibly worth around 500 to 600 bucks , if I hadn't messed with it. What do you think?

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I think if you're happy with it, I wouldn't worry about what your buddy said. If its possibly worth 500, a dealer is only gonna give you 300. A collector might give you 500. I don't think the fact you made a $400 error is worth getting your panties in a twist.

Do what you started w/ it, and be happy when you're done.

IGF

3. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

Agreed. It seems that if you are going to refinish it then you must like it so would you really want to sell it anyway? Fix it up and enjoy it!

4. RichJ

RichJ

I guess it depends on what the finished product looks like. If you do a killer job and it looks like a special edition custom rifle that no one has ever seen anything like before, then it might fetch even more if you were going to sell it.

Most SKS's i've seen have that crappy yellowish orangy stain on them with a super heavy laquer that looks terrible. Anything would be an improvement over that and I'd pay more to get one with more natural looking wood and an oil finish.

5. speedsix

speedsix

If your Russian SKS had a black finish on the bolt it was a arsenal refinish anyway. Arsenal refinished guns are not worth $500-600 because they have already been refinished once. They are worth about $400 give or take.

If you do a good job with the refinish and do not sand down the arsenal marks on the stock or metal, you will not hurt the value. A nice refinish on an arsenal refinished Russian SKS will be worth about the same.

If this had the original finish, then you would be better off leaving it as is.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Uh... NO. As a hobbyist, you might.. but as a true collector, nope.

Guns that have been altered/restored, are always worth less. I know the show can be fairly ridiculous, but watch Pawn Stars sometime when someone brings in a "restored" firearm. If its worth even 25% of what it was beforehand, its a surprise. Now these are "home" restorations, not professional restorations. If it were a professional restoration, to keep it original, you *might* be right.

IGF

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  7. RichJ

RichJ

First of all, I wouldn't base anything on what a pawn shop would give you. Those places always low-ball everything for a reason. Secondly, whether it's a hobbyist or true collector it makes no difference, the value of anything used is completely up to buyer. If someone see's something unsusual or otherwise have never seen before and they like it, there is no telling what someone will pay. Look at all the stuff (junk) on e-bay that people pay outragous prices for.

Don't assume the OP will screw it up because it's a "home job", he might know what he's doing, and if the OP's rifle turns out to be the coolest SKS anyone has ever seen he will get top dollar for it.

8. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

LOL... whatever you say. You've obviously not seen the show, and I was simply using it as a reference for what their weapons expert often tells them about refinishing jobs. He doesn't work for the pawn shop. Yes it would make a difference... A hobbyist buys because it looks cool... A Collector buys because it is a an antique or has something unique about it. A collector typically wants an item in an unaltered condition. Because John Doe done a refinishing job, doesn't make it unique. If some famous person had done the refinishing job, that would be different.

IGF

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  9. RichJ

RichJ

Who cares why a collector or a hobbyist buys something, that is irrelevant. Money is money regardless of who buys it or why. Besides, "collector" is a subjective term anyway. In some regards we are all collectors and unique is in the eye of the beholder.

10. vafish

vafish

I think your friend is right and you took a $500-$600 gun and turned it into a $200-$300 gun.

But now that you have started you might as well finish the job.

11. Mellio

Mellio

Thanks for the post so far. I rarely alter anything from stock condition but I thought WTH it's just an SKS. I didn't know they were even collected! I have always kinda looked down on them a little bit . I'm going for a stock look with the refinish just a much nicer stock look. But yeah the numbers on the stock are all but gone. The bolt is the same way. I guess I should have done some research first. I never sell anything gun related once I buy it anyway (almost) so I'll refinish it and enjoy it for myself.

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Uh, the OP does, he asked if he ruined its resale value by doing his work on it.. That was the whole point of the thread

IGF

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Post pics when you're done... In the end, all that matters is was it "worth it" to you...

IGF

14. mike253

mike253 NRA - IWLA

I've yet to see anyone pay ~$500 for an SKS of any type unless they were first time buyers who got screwed.

I've got an SKS and I absolutely love it, but I wouldn't pay more than $250 for one and that's taking in to account the current supply/demand.

If you find someone that would have paid you $500 - $600 for an SKS, I'm quite sure you can find something else to sell them.. perhaps an $1,800 Century Arms HK91 clone.

15. speedsix

speedsix

Sounds like you may have messed it up worse than I feared. The numbers on the stock and metal should never be sanded or removed as they are a key to the value of a SKS.

There are ways to get the finish off without sanding but it sounds like it is too late. In any case, it is just an arsenal refinished Russian SKS and not a 150 year old Winchester or something.

Doesn't matter what you did to it, it is still worth at least $300 and was never worth $600 so don't worry.

People who are telling you your gun was worth $600 do not know what they are talking about. It was obviously a ARSENAL REFINISHED SKS and I have never seen one sell for more than $500. It was a $400 gun and worst case is you messed it up to the point where it is just a shooter and it is still worth $300. Considering that you paid $115 for it, and it is still worth more than double that, I wouldn't worry too much.

16. smokin762

smokin762

Out of curiosity, why didn’t you just buy another stock for it and customize that one? A guy at the Gun Shows that I go to has surplus unfinished SKS stocks for $10.00. They look like brand new.

17. speedsix

speedsix

A lesson learned late is still a lesson learned.

18. RichJ

RichJ

I think you are missing my point. What I mean is that a seller doesn't care about the buyers motives. Whether it is a collector or a hobbyist or why they are buying it is beside the point.

Someone, somewhere is looking for an SKS that doesn't have a crappy finish on it and will pay good money to get it. Like I said, e-bay is full of buyers who'll pay more than "book value" for anything.

19. smokin762

smokin762

You are right. I learned this same lesson about 20 years ago with a rifle that I wanted to restore. I know better now!:whistling:

20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

You mean people weren't just lining up to buy it because it was unique?

IGF