So tell me guys and or gals, school me on setting up a projector TV room

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by AZson, Oct 18, 2015.

1. AZson

AZson

I'm thinking of going to a projector but I'm not sure what I'll need. I have a room I can make dark enough for one and I've heard the bulbs only last about 6 months.
    But I know there is more I should know, so school me.

2. OldSchool64

OldSchool64

3. kiole

kiole

I have an optoma hd131xe projecting onto a 92" screen from roughly 9' away.

You need a seperate sound system and a near totally dark room for good picture quality. A decent quality screen (fixed frame is better for a low prices screen). Ideally you would mount it from the ceiling with a ceiling mount.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Make sure you buy a good name brand projector and not the knockoff Chinese low res terrible light output crap.

You'll also need to use a projector throw calculator to determine if the projector will work in your space. Different projectors require different heights and distances from the screen to get a certain size picture.

4. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

You can also paint the screen with special paint, but remember any imperfections show up. Also outside light or inside light will dim the picture, so a football game during the day especially set up for a party or someone else reading in the room will affect it.

Depending on the size of the room, a flatscreen tv may be a better option. Generally, it's all about budget and the size of the room. Ceiling mounting, distance to screen for focus, brightness, size of screen all play off that.

Avsforum.com is where I'd go for more in-depth info.

5. kiole

kiole

And a bulb usually last much longer then 6months. If you watch tv 4 hours a day 7 days a week you could get over 4 years of use on econo. My projector is rated for 6,000 hours on economy mode.

6. Random

Random Banned

I have 2 LED projectors. One above my bed and one in my projector/movie room. If you control the lighting LED is the way to go. Minimum 500lumen.