close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So, tell me about USAA.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by J_Rico, Jun 18, 2012.

1. J_Rico

J_Rico

Did a quick search and it seems USAA makes most of their customers happy.

I am about to change insurance companies as Allstate has lost its mind since I added a teen driver (I get that teens have more wrecks, but USAA will be around $800 cheaper every six months). Also, my agent retired and the replacement seems a little lackluster (why have email if you never answer it?)

This makes me unhappy as I have been with Allsate 20 years and they have been good to us up til the last year, but $800 is a bit excessive.

Anyway, those of you that are USAA customers, still happy? There is no local USAA office around here. How has been the phone, internet service?

Thanks, Rico

2. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

USAA is the greatest financial institution that ever existed. The reason for this is because you used to have to qualify (through service) for membership.

Now that just anybody can join and they're advertising on the radio, things are fixin' to go downhill.
    (but they're still great for now!)

3. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle

I'm a banking and insurance customer with USAA. I don't have any local office, that I know of, and I've always been very satisfied with their folks over the phone. I've never had any accidents or anything so can't really speak to that.

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

They don't let you carry a gun inside their home offices, but they can find out if you have a carry permit. :rofl:

5. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

I qualified through my dad's service (Vietnam - '68 - '69).

I had a bad experience with them and a house I was willed. Basically the house was unoccupied (I lived in Charleston and the house is in Chapin) and they said they would insure it, then did insure it and promptly cancelled the policy saying they could insure it (after about 1-2 months). They were also expensive. I have no problem with them not being willing to insure the house, but they should have told me that to start with. Honestly it was probably just a mistake.

I also had an apartment robbery that they handled very unprofessionally. I had to ask for the supervisor of the agent handling my claim. I finally told him that "USAA used to be known for high price but great service. All I'm seeing is the high price." To his credit he got everything straightened out.

Now - in full fairness both of these had circumstances that may have made USAA nervous. The house was unoccupied and the apartment was robbed not long after I got the policy. They also didn't drop the policy on the house right away - they gave me notice - and did not drop the renter's policy at all.

My dad had a house robbery and also had trouble though I don't know the exact details.

On the other side, I insured a motorcycle with them and was in a wreck, totalling it. They could not have been better. Fantastic service.

IMO the auto side is (or was) better than the homeowner's side is (or was).

Then again, I am only one customer.

For Allstate (and other insurers) - many have several agents in your area. Also - some will not insure a house with a roof over 12 years old. State Farm told me this when I was trying to insure the unoccupied house.

6. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

I joined when I was an Ensign, O-1. I'm very happy with them. I used them for real estate, banking, insurance and investing.

Excellent customer service. I trust no others more.

7. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

Many of us have been with USAA for decades. They have a very loyal customer base and for good reason.

There aren't any "local" agents, to my knowledge. The company was formed to serve military members whether in the US or abroad and they are very good at delivering personal service "long distance."

Give 'em a call and see for yourself.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  8. magic

magic Mean Old Man

I was with USAA for awhile then I switched to AAA. I can't remember why I switched. I had one accident that was not my fault, the other driver was with AAA too and they gave her preferential treatment through the whole claim. AAA treated me like crap and I filed a complaint against the claims adjuster and told them I was leaving and never coming back. I promptly cancelled my insurance with AAA along with my roadside assistance. I have roadside assistance with USAA too, and will never buy anything else from AAA. I will stay with USAA from now on unless they start changing the way they operate.

9. crazyasian1

crazyasian1

Been with them since shortly after I joined, going on 15 years now. Bought 4 cars through them, do all of my finances with them. Never had a bad experience with them.

10. J_Rico

J_Rico

Thanks for all the replies.

Guess I'm going to make the switch.

Appreciate it. :wavey:

11. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

I have heard many good things about USAA. But when I got a quote from them a couple of years ago, they were every bit of 50% higher than State Farm, who I've been with for over 30 years.

12. Detectorist

Detectorist

13. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

If you qualify for USAA - meaning REAL USAA for former service-members and their families, not the associated companies they pass you off to if you're not prior service - it's by FAR the best insurance/bank/etc. I've ever had anything to do with.

Highly recommended. They're usually the cheapest outside of total fly-by-night operations, and they're ALWAYS the best price/performance.

14. blackjack

blackjack

I was with them from the time I was a cadet in ROTC in college until I got teenage drivers in my house...$$$$$$. Left them for Liberty Mutual, it's getting to be time to do the whole quote thing again but I've never had USAA be competitive. There's always a first time, though.

15. vart

vart

True...:whistling:

We added millions of new members over the past 5 years and we are just now starting to catch up with employees to meet the demand.

Our customer service was degrading pretty rapidly, but to the General's(our CEO is General Joe Robles) credit, we have been hiring like crazy the last few months and are finally getting staffed appropriately.

16. Jfduece

Jfduece

I have had USSA insurance for over 12 years. Probably not the cheapest but very good customer service. I have had 2 auto claims and one house claim and all were handleed very well. I would not hesitate one moment to recommend them for insurance.

However, I would not use them for banking or investments. My personl opinion with banking and investments is that there are much better deals out there if you do the work. To me its all about finding the best rates, not customer service. I don't screw around with my accounts(bills are paid, minimum debt, very few trades in investing), so I don't need access to customer service there. I use vanguard for investing - great fund performance and lowest expense ratios out there, decent customer service too.

17. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Just do it. You won't regret it.

Some other outfits may be a bit cheaper, but you 'll find out why as soon as you try to file a claim and they can't seem recall how to speak English.

18. Liebestraum

Liebestraum

I use their regular banking service and had their insurance for a time. They were not the cheapest, but were the only company to give me insurance through the hurricane. Their service has been excellent thus far, and if you qualify I would definitely check them out. They will be the first people I call when its time to validate insurance costs.

19. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Part of the reason they're not the cheapest is because they actually pay you when you incur a loss.

It's very profitable to offer inexpensive insurance, and then not pay out when a claim comes in. With a lot of companies, you're actually paying for the opportunity to sue them for your coverage at an unspecified future date.

20. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I begged my father to get insurance from them just so I could sign up for a credit card and get deposit@mobile from them. He got a quote and it was slightly higher than he is currently paying, so he didn't make the switch.

The only way I can fully qualify is for him to get insurance since he is a veteran and I'm not.