close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So, tell me about baseball and Cincinnati

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MrsKitty, Jun 22, 2012.

1. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I've never been to a pro baseball game before. It's been a good while since I went to a minor league game, too. I've not really followed baseball since my grandpa died over 20 years ago.

What do I need to know (other than leave the guns at home?)? Anything that will make this more enjoyable if I am bored out of my mind?

Any must do's in Cincinnati? Anything to totally avoid?

2. Buki192327

Buki192327

Avoid the Over the Rhine section of Cincinnati. High crime area.

3. Tim151515

Tim151515 iHeartGuns

Well, I love baseball, so me saying it is a great experience really should be taken with a grain of salt. But I would check out the Newport aquarium while your around there. Maybe the Cincy Zoo as well.

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Nice park. Great views of the river. Good amenities. Probably in my top 5 parks attended thus far, and I'm halfway thru them all.

5. Kloogee

Kloogee

I'm with Tim, I've been a lifelong baseball fan. I love going to Reds games and usually go to about 15-20 games a year. We've sat all over the ballpark and have always had a good time. If you need some advice on where to sit in the stadium, happy to provide some direction there.

Also, as Tim suggests, the zoo and aquarium are pretty good.

What types of activities do you enjoy? Are you a zoo/museum girl? Are you a shopper? Are you a museum girl? Are you a party girl?

Cincy's downtown is starting to make a comeback. When we first moved here, it was horrible. But the ongoing Banks project is starting to make a difference.

Check out cincinnatusa.com for some ideas as well as to see what else may be going on for those days.

Some ideas:
    - take a riverboat ride (b&b riverboats on the KY side)
    - Jeff Ruby restaurants are pretty popular "local" steakhouses
    - take a duckboat river/city tour
    - grab a quad-cycle and ride along the river front
    - check out Fountain Square and grab a bite to eat
    - Montgomery Inn is "famous" around Cincy. The boathouse is right along the river. I'm not a huge M.I. Fan, but it's pretty good
    - Graeters ice cream is famous around Cincy. Supposedly Oprah has it shipped to her.

6. Kloogee

Kloogee

As for enjoying the game the most, I'd highly recommend sitting closer to the action where you can see and HEAR the action of the game a bit more. It's easier to keep the attention of a casual fan that way. If its a crazy hot day game, a shaded seat goes a long way to being more comfortable and enjoying the game.

7. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

'scream will hate it and all of the human beings associated with it. :supergrin:

Few things better than relaxing at a ballpark with nothing to do but watch the game.

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

If I had money, I would love to shop. :rofl:

I grew out of being a party girl when I was 15 or so. Clubbing it's my thing either.

Aquariums and zoos are always something I can get into. :supergrin:

We've already got our tickets. I think it was in the 130s but I can't remember specifics...

9. Kloogee

Kloogee

Low 130s are really good seats in my opinion. We are sitting in 131 for tomorrow's game. :wavey:

10. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

If you have seats in the 130's section they will be pretty good and in the shade. You'll be able to get LOTS of good pictures of the players and the rivers. You can take a soft sided cooler in with you and plastic bottles of water or soft drinks, as long as they are not open. You can do this with snacks and food also. It's a lot cheaper than buying it in the park. The Banks area is right next to the ballpark and has a lot of good restaurants. We really like Toby Keith's Bar and Grill.

You should visit the Zoo, Newport Aquarium, eat at Skyline Chili, eat at Pompillio's in Newport, stay the hell out of Over the Rhine and Price Hill. PM me if you have any questions or need anything while you guys are here.

11. Kloogee

Kloogee

Agreed!

12. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Drink Beer
    Eat Hot Dogs
    Oogle women

13. Kloogee

Kloogee

I thought that is watching baseball! :tongueout:

Which reminds me, I think they changed their brats at GABP this year and I thought they were horrible. But the Big Red Smokies are still awesome. Gotta have one!

Only problem with ballpark beer is that they cost 3 months salary for each one!

14. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

You have to do the Newport Aquarium! They have a big gator there right now too :)

Greaters and Montgomery Inn are both over rated IMO, but hey if you're in the area may as well try them. They aren't horrible, but are on par with most other places. There is a steakhouse down there that my BIL swears by, but are very pricey (too pricey for me). If you want the name I can ask him.

15. Blast

Blast 'nuff said

Be sure to check out the Cincinnati Art Museum.
    +1 on the Newport aquarium and zoo.
    Get some cheese coneys and 3-ways at Gold Star chili, Skyline chili, or Dixie chili. And don't miss out on White Castle burgers.:supergrin:

16. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Between him and trout I may need to borrow bail money.... :faint:

17. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

Ok MK, you're a foodie.
    Eat at as many local chili parlours as you can. Order it 3 way. Dixie and Skyline are good starts. Trust me my friend, you'll love it.
    Eat coneys outside the stadium, they're great too.
    Montgomery Inn has good ribs. The sauce is basic- tomato and lightly seasoned, but very good and unique.

18. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I love Cincinnati chili. Probably one of the few places you can say you had a 3way with your husband and not get any funny looks. I actually prefer cheese coneys from Dixie Chili on Monmouth Street in Newport (there is a small parking lot next to the restaurant), then Gold Star, then Skyline.

Pompillio's, mentioned above, is a small italian restaurant in Newport who's claim to fame is that part of Rainman was filmed there (toothpick scene...246)

Newport Aquarium is OK, but a little high priced IMO. Cincinnati Zoo is good, but it's cramped on space because of it's location. It's a very old zoo. IIRC the reptile house there might be the oldest zoo building in the US.

Also, since it's a gun forum, the Southgate House is where John T. Thompson lived (I think it's been renamed to the Thompson House now). He invented the Tommy Gun. It's a small venue that bands play at now. Across from the Newport Aquarium/Newport on the Levee.

Most of my family lives or lived in Newport at one time.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  19. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

20. South Fla

South Fla ©South Fla 2017

All three of these are excellent choices. LaRosa's Pizza is top of the line in my book.

Stay away from Skyline Chili (everybody thinks they are better because Skyline tell them they are), and Over The Rhine (lotsa crime).

(My wife is from Cincinnati...)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012