close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So, still on the fence re XP SP2?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MB-G26, Aug 28, 2004.

1. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

m

2. mzenzer

mzenzer Argus-eyed

I've been using SP2 in beta form on non-production PCs for a while and both of my laptops, my desktop, and several non-mission critical work computers have the final release. No problems so far.

Most of these PC's run accounting programs such as Solomon, mas200, and the usual of MS Office.

In one case, I used it on a clients PC.

On my laptop a couple times Outlook gave me a weird error, but it hasn't happened in over a week and may have been related to something else.

As a matter of policy, I let other people break their stuff with service packs first, and wait before rolling it out to clients.

3. KSS745

KSS745 The Geek!!

I only had one issue in my office when i installed SP2. It hosed one of our machines so that Office 2k3 would not run. It required me to flatten the machine and reinstall the OS and SP2. After that it worked fine.

4. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

no fence sitting for me. i'm not installing it for at least another month. some of the programs that it can break are ones we use at work.

most of them don't effect me, but i must have my vpn capability so i can work from remote locations. sp2 breaks that.

5. gudel

gudel

i must be the only one who has extreme luck with MS products, and Glocks products despite other people who breaks this and that and exploding guns. :) more power to me!
    my office 2003 enterprise works well with XP SP2 RC1, RC2 and released version, autoupdate is on too. vpn works fine as well.
    pcworld huh. lots of noise, little useful info, if any. reading computer magazine is like reading gun magazine. we all know how that goes.

6. 0100010

0100010 Millennium Member

Those above articles are related to the firewall in SP2, it blocks the ports for the listed applications. I wouldn't call it breaking them, one just needs to configure the firewall to allow the application to communicate.

7. streeter69

streeter69 This is Kewl

Take this with a grain of salt;P I know I am a software idoit:) Hardware I do know:cool:

This morning I decided to upgrade and see what it was about. It was a friggen firewall and virus crap!!!! Gee, what would they think of;g
    So far I turned off the firewall and virus scan ( I just bought one that actually works;f ) I do not know what else I got;g but it took me about 1 hour to reconfigure so it would work.

If microsoft is so high and mighty (Yes, Gates did good, BUT!), Why did they not do this in the first place! They knew about this crap.

If I knew more about software and how it works, I would would switch!

8. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

90% of users have no idea what a firewall is. monitor a support desk, and those people will be calling in about broken machines.

9. stick430

stick430

10. srhoades

srhoades

It's highly misleading to say that SP2 breaks applications. It enables the firewall, which is supposed to block incoming ports, unless configured otherwise.

I realize the everyday user finds this an inconvience, but for those who already practice standard security measures, it's nothing new.

11. Locke

Locke

Exactly. My recommendation for businesses is to block application until it's tested on representative machines, then stage the deployment.

On a home PC, you have no such luxury. I flattened mine, XP, SP2, runs great. It was 2 years of accumulated installs / deinstalls / etc. Due to be flattened.

12. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

it 'breaks' some of our web apps, it is not a simple matter of disabling the firewall.