close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So sick of court....

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by matt86, Feb 23, 2010.

1. matt86

matt86 Oink Oink

I'm so sick of court... They never schedule anything on our court dates but throw out random subpoenas on my days off throughout the month... It never fails. I just called in for a court case tomorrow and have to appear and the offender has an order for arrest still for my charge for never appearing in court about 3 or 4 months ago on his first appearance.... It's ridiculous :steamed:.

Thanks for letting me rant :whistling:

2. PinkoCommie

PinkoCommie Unusual Member

Anytime!

;)

Now, I have to go shave, shower and get ready for a Dept. of Revenue hearing on a DUI I hooked a few months ago. He was .140 on a blood test! What the heck are we gonna talk about? How he was stopped in the middle of the road and hanging out of his car, banging on the roof and hollering to his friends when I contacted him? Or the fact that he was the designated driver (at .140)?

What a waste of a perfectly good morning with the wife and kids! I could be making chocolate chip pancakes for my two year old daughter!

3. Officer X

Officer X

Our municipal court works with our admin to schedule as much of the officer's court time on duty so they can manage and eliminate as much overtime as possible.

I work evenings and since there's 4pm court twice a month, I get very little OT. Two times a month there's 9am court so day shift won't get much. The only time we really get OT is if you're involved in a job with an officer from another shift. They also try to consolodate the midnight guy's court so they only have to stay over once a month for the 9am session.

We have a few grievences going on now where officers have been cancelled from court (to avoid the OT) and then the prosecutor has called them at home while they're off to work out a plea.

Most of my court OT comes from Superior Court or Grand Jury but you usually get at least two weeks notice for those so you can plan.

4. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash

I guess I should feel lucky, we get to DOR revocation hearings by phone... and I thought that was a pain.

5. Gangrel

Gangrel

We have zero control over our court dates and they certainly don't care about our days on or off.

I'd rather go on my day off so I can get decent sleep between shifts.

6. Mattz

Mattz

I feel your pain, brother. In the past we were only supposed to get called to court twice a month at the most. At one point I was going 4-5 times a month... unfortunately it makes a good officer start to question how many tickets he writes and how proactive he is when all of his time off he's spending in court. Fortunately it's gotten better as of late.

7. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

Come work for us. No one is ever prosecuted therefore there is no court to worry about. If they don't accept one of the DA's cushy plea bargains(such as 20 years for capital murder murder, eligible for parole in 14, or 1 year for a 5th felony DWI, making 7 total DWIs, or the standard public intoxication in place of a DWI, or disorderly conduct in place aggravated assault with a deadly weapon or deadly conduct) then they dismiss the charges and file it under "insufficient evidence to prosecute". One way or another our DA is going to keep his 100% conviction rate. They'll either plead, or they drop the charges as insufficient therefore refusing to prosecute.

8. ugly8604

ugly8604

I just use the inconvenience as motivation to march into the court room and rage on the defense attorney and his tweaker clients.

9. op2k

op2k

This.

10. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

11. SAR

SAR CLM

I never get a subpoena unless I am going out of town on a trip. Then I always get a subpoena. :steamed:

12. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I've been pretty lucky... I get hit with subpoenas very very unoften. My cases get pled out thanks either to my awesome report writing or because public defenders here are awesome like that, who knows.

I do get subpoena'ed more often for off-duty stuff, as a matter of fact... I think it's been around 100% rate for getting subpoena'ed everytime something happens and I saw it off-duty. Then that's when they make sure they subpoena me on my days off and the last time they did that, they didn't even deliver to the station and asked me to go down to the Sheriff's civil service office way out in the middle of nowhere to pick up the subpoena.

Then I show up to court on a rainy day on my day off and of course... the case was pled out during pretrial 2 months ago and the DA just said, "Why you here? Didn't you get the call that it's settled?" Yeah, that's exactly why I showed up 35 miles outside of my jurisdiction on a rainy day when I am not working because I wanted to be in a courtroom where my case was settled 2 months ago to feel the ambience.

13. JBaird22

JBaird22

We no longer get OT for court. I am sure those ticket numbers are going to skyrocket this year.

14. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

That is illegal... they're going to end up paying out a lot more after a FLSA lawsuit.