So my car caught on fire...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Berto, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper

I had an old Volvo that had a similar problem... only worse... almost like the Flintstones car. I got a piece of sheet steel, cut to fit and riveted it in place... better than sheet metal screws, IMHO. I gave it a nice thick coat of aerosol undercoating. It was still holding strong when I sold it years later. If I had it to do over, I would probably use heavy gauge sheet aluminum because it would be much easier to work with.

2. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    If you have had it a while, it still good, pressure wise? (fun fact: Halon has been out of production since 1994 -the tree huggers saw to that) so the existing supply is getting recycled; the gas itself never goes bad, but the bottles lose pressure, so that's something to look at if you have had it for some years, you don't want to get caught with a dead bottle when you need it; You can get it recharged, so it's not a big deal if the pressure is down.

On the consumer market, the best bang for the buck going are the First Alert dry chemical (ABC ) units; they have metal parts and handles (which is a huge plus, as some other brands use plastic and have been known to break, leaving you with a full extinguisher that you can't dispense from) and a good shelf life (10 years!) for around $20-$25; they are of a decent size, and inexpensive enough to have a few of them (in addition to the vehicles, I keep one in most rooms of the house, mounted, you can NEVER have enough fire extinguishers)....

Anyway, check that Halon bottle, make sure the pressure is good; it's good stuff (no nasty residue to contend with after the fire) but pressure in the small bottles is always an issue and you don't want to get caught short....

Berto, nursetim and pgg00 like this.

3. RenoF250

RenoF250

If the floorboard is rusted in half you have many other problems just waiting to pop up, junk it.

4. RenoF250

RenoF250

Halon is not very effective in an open space, it will blow away and the fire is free to restart. ABC chemical is the best for vehicle but makes a mess. Baking soda would work for most vehicle fires and be less messy.

Berto and Caver 60 like this.
  5. Cambo

Cambo

When I clicked on this, I was expecting to see a Range Rover or Land Rover. I have seen 4 recent models engulfed in flames on the side of the road. Don't trust British electrical systems.

Berto likes this.
  6. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Might want to look closer underneath , would be bad it the drivers seat fell out going down the road

lazarus66, Berto and nursetim like this.
  7. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Good Job! I had a rusted floorboard in a 54 Chevy flatbed truck and I took the seat out and fiberglassed the entire floorboard. It was a tough job because of the fumes but I wore a respirator And that helped.

After replacing the weatherstripping around the doors, that cab was almost air tight. Fiberglass would work for your rig, along with a heat shield, but you'd really need to fix your exhaust system first to get some clearance away from the floor.

Berto and Caver 60 like this.
  8. briarpatch

briarpatch

May be me but looks like a hole in the exhaust pipe, if so that would be like a flame thrower on the floor pan. M.0.

Berto, Caver 60 and Cubdriver like this.
  9. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

I had it recycled when I did my house bottles. I use Amerex fire extinguishers. They all came up on their 4 year check, so I had them all inspected. They just recycle the powder and refill the gas. They did have to take my two Halons back to the shop to recover the Halon and refill the gas.

10. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

Piece of sheet metal, self tapping screws, some RTV sealant... She'll be good as new :)

jimcorbin and Berto like this.
  11. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Has your check engine light been on for a long time?

A lot of things can cause a very hot catalytic converter (I mean they get hot normally, but cherry red hot can mean something else is wrong). It is possible the rust was hastened by the heat cycles you were subjecting the floorboard to. If your cat was getting super hot, along with a damaged or partially clogged cat, you may have other fuel system delivery issues.

If the floorboards outside the specific area are solid, along with getting a new floorboard fashioned, I would take a look at the whole exhaust system, pollution control system and the whole fuel delivery system.

Cars are always "for want of a nail" things.

railfancwb, NoStress, Berto and 2 others like this.
  12. Sfaql

Sfaql

Toss a floor mat over the hole and sell it on Craig’s List .....

Berto likes this.
  13. E-2-E

E-2-E Long Trail

Enjoyed the story, and couldn’t help but laugh while visualizing this all playing out. The repair looks great BTW.

railfancwb and Berto like this.
  14. pgg00

pgg00

Glad you and your mom are safe

railfancwb, rugercat78, Berto and 2 others like this.
  15. Caver 60

Caver 60

Pop rivets work great. I put some sealer around the patch before placing the patch metal, and then Pop riveted it. Been good for about 20 years so far. Course mine doesn't have a cat converter.

railfancwb and Berto like this.
  16. Cubdriver

Cubdriver

That looks to me to be a nice little split at the top of that section of exhaust pipe. If it is, then you have a nice jet of flaming hot exhaust gasses blasting the underside of the floor pan (or what was left of it). That'll heat up the metal enough to combust the carpet insulation that's in contact with it, and if you were doing a long pull up a hill you were probably running it harder than usual for that length of time. Fix that pipe before doing anything else, or the CO may get you before the fire ignites.

-Pat

17. DAKA

DAKA

McGuyvered it did ya! Cut up some old asbestos shingles, wedge them above the pipe .. keep the windows open...good to go

Berto likes this.
  18. Z71bill

Z71bill

Bring hot dogs next time -

When I was a teenager I always dreaded getting my car inspected - it was mostly a scam - you need ball joints or your tires are bald - I was a teenager with a Chevelle SS396 - of course my tires are bald!

Anyway I go in to get my car inspected and the guy ahead of me was mad as hell -

His car had failed inspection -

Not because of tires or ball joints or a cracked windshield - but because his heater was broken -

Well not really because his heater was broken - but because he had routed his exhaust pipe up through the floorboard on one side of his back seat and back down the other side.

South Dakota has cold winters - and since his heater was broken the heat from the exhaust pipe kept the car nice and warm.

He was yelling at the inspector guy to "show me where it says in the regulation that I can't have the exhaust pipe inside the car!!"

People are crazy.

NoStress, Berto, Caver 60 and 2 others like this.
  19. fx77

fx77 CLM

'true story
    1962 driving my sister home from college in a borrowed station wagon for all her stuff, and the car caught fire (wiring harness) and we exited the car on the Hwy. Then it totally combusted in flames 80 mi from home. Burned to a cinder.

Went to a rental car place, and my father tried to rent a car, but he did not believe in or have a credit card...he had to have his bank wire the cost of a rental car to be held in escrow essentially until we returned the car.

Z71bill and Berto like this.
  20. nursetim

nursetim

Look on the bright side, you can roast hot dogs on your way to scenic views and have lunch ready by the time you get there. Added bonus, s’mores.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    Rinspeed, railfancwb, Z71bill and 2 others like this.