close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So much for Arizona juvenile prisons.

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by blueiron, Jan 16, 2010.

1. blueiron

blueiron

Because the Arizona state budget is an absolute mess and getting worse by the week, it looks as if the state Department of Juvenile Corrections is going away come 01 July and the elimination of the jobs of 980 state employees working in that agency.

The plan is to have the counties take it over, but most of the counties can't afford to house a few chickens in a coop.... things are getting interesting here.

The only good news is photo speed enforcement will die.

Lots of people think Arizona is a paradise, but it isn't anymore.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/elect...1/15/20100115brewer-budget-plan-tax-hike.html

2. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

I know first hand that the county facilities outside Maricopa aren't set up to handle long term commitments.

3. blueiron

blueiron

Even Maricopa County would have trouble with juvenile felons. I would believe Sam Spade would probably say the same about Pima County.

Greenlee, Apache, Graham, and the rest will be royally hurting.

4. ClydeG19

ClydeG19

You know, 50% of the state budget goes for education. Why are we ranked near the bottom of the educational rankings year after year? What are other states doing right? If someone figures out the financial black hole that is the state education system, they solve a big chunk of the budget problem. But the second you talk about reforming the education system, you get vilified and ten different unions and political action groups are out protesting at the capitol. For instance, my local school district just finished reorganizing which schools serve what grades. Why? So they could justify the number of teachers they had so they didn't need to lay anyone off.

But yeah, it's ridiculous that we need to be cutting juvenile corrections altogether because the legislators can't agree on anything.

5. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

Maybe Joe will start a kiddie tent city and rent out beds to the other counties.

6. blueiron

blueiron

Administrators and their love of bureaucracy. Every time I dealt with one particular school district in Maricopa County, I was amazed that dealing with HQUSMC was more streamlined and efficient compared to a bunch of 'educators' that were fixated on paralysis by analysis.

7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

"Trouble" implies that there would be a contest or a chance. For instance, I have trouble not giving gratuitous hickory shampoos to hippies, but I'm often successful.

There won't be trouble with juvenile felons. There will be abject failure.

8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Wow, I thought things would improve after you got rid of the Silverback Gorilla Janet Napolitano and hoisted her on the rest of us.

As for education, don't worry, we are ranked 47th or 48th last I checked and we're not improving any... Ahnuld's latest budget seeks to cut more education funding so more of the kids can end up in the penal system. I'm no bleeding heart, but if you don't put money in the front end, you will spend a lot more on the backend.

9. GPalmer

GPalmer CLM

It always amazed me when I lived in CA that in the heart of the tech area for the US the schools were underfunded and in atrocious shape. Says a lot about why our jobs are getting outsourced.

10. akapennypincher

akapennypincher Glock-O-Holic

Joe at one time had a Kiddie Tent City with "PUP" TENTS.

11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

It is improving. The accounting tricks and sleight-of-hand are gone and the real problem is out in the open.
    T'ain't about funding McGee.

Thought experiment: Triple the money, right now, magically and instantly. Would that make *any* positive difference in what's going on in the classroom? Would the teacher convey information any better? Would the administrators be more efficient? Would some new theory in phonics, mathematics or critical thinking come bubbling to the surface?

Everyone wants to make it about $$, and points to the high-tech gizmos and advanced whatchyajiggers and the social advancements that would come about. Tell ya what----when you get the kids reading at grade level, have them producing proper informative and persuasive compositions and show me that your class can add, get back to me.

12. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

I got a suggestion. Get volunteer organizations like the Salvation Army involved.

13. MooseJaw

MooseJaw NRA Lifer CLM

Blueiron,

Who runs the Juvie facility at Pinnacle Peak & I-17? Is that State run?

14. blueiron

blueiron

It is owned and run by the Arizona Dept. of Youth Corrections [for now].

15. Bobshouse

Bobshouse

Just throw them in an adult prison, the majority of them are going to get there eventually.

When I first started with the BOP we had YCA inmates among our adult population. Only difference they had is we weren't supposed to shoot them if they climbed the fence.....yeah, right...kinda hard to tell the difference at 30+ yards, so we told them to make sure they climbed over right at the base of the tower.:whistling:

16. GPalmer

GPalmer CLM

Maybe my comment wasn't clear enough. The schools in San Jose were:
    1) Underfunded
    2) In atrocious shape

two largely independent variables. My wife was a teacher there. Her budget allowed for somewhere around 5 xerox copies a week as I remember. Not conducive to a good educational experience. The teacher's salaries were so low that two midrange teachers could not afford an average house. Not conducive to getting good candidates in, refer to NYC police and their problems hiring.

OTOH, those were only part of the problems. My wife was a special ed teacher. It was considered wrong if she took a child out of the class for disciplinary reasons since that would ruin their educational experience. She had one child who would spend his day yelling and screaming obscenities at the top of his lungs. After the second time she sent him to the office, she was told she would be disciplined if he was sent to the office again since she was ruining his educational experience.

Get the idea? In the heart of the Silicon Valley where the entire culture was based on tech, no one was learning and they had to go overseas for candidates because our children weren't learning...

17. blueiron

blueiron

A minor correction... the children were not learning because administrators do not want teachers effectively teaching. They want them to baby sit, minimize liability for the district, and cover for their bosses' kiesters.

18. GPalmer

GPalmer CLM

That is definitely one reason, there are no two ways about it. We could also discuss the effects of generational poverty and the lack of parental reinforcement of the benefits of education. It's not a simple problem, much like the issues confronting the health care system. Certainly the core of any effective educational system begins long before the schooling in the raising of the children and the role models they have to emulate and continues with reinforcement throughout the educational process. At some point the American "Do well and you will succeed" mantra seems to have gotten lost.

It was sadly ironic though that the schools located in an area where high tech was the lifeblood were failing so profoundly.

19. OXCOPS

OXCOPS