close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So much aggression

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TexasPOff, Sep 13, 2017.

1. TexasPOff

TexasPOff "Dump The Hump"

I remember when the 4th gens Glock started showing up and everyone was down on them as well. All the changes, new guide rod assembly, extraction issues, jamming, back straps being a joke.

I was against the 4th gens when they first came out as well. I honestly didn't think the Guide rod assemblies would hold up, and were overly complicated. Eventually I caved in a started moving over to the 4th gen. The only two things that appealed to me about the 4th gen over the three, was slightly smaller grip, and the magazine release.

Now the 5th Gens appear and everyone is up in arms about the new/old Cutout, and ambi slide locks, and non inter changeable parts. Surprisingly, the 5th gen has impressed me more than I thought.

I was one who couldn't stand the cutout, and it still isn't something I would have wanted, but it does serve a purpose and with the flared mag well, it isn't a problem like it was on the 2nd Gens, at least for me.

The two things that I like about the 5th gen over the 4th, no finger humps of course, and the new finish. It does seems to be holding up better than the 4th gen finishes. I am starting to think the new barrel may be slightly more accurate as I am able to produce slightly tighter groups with it, but it isn't anything earth shattering.

At least the 5th gen guns are proving to be reliable, and not a repeat of the 4th gen release. I suspect they will find their place and more people will become a little more accepting of them.

As I said before, I won't run out and replace my 4th gens, but when buying Glocks in the future, they will be 5th gens.

TXPO

TXPO

21Brutus likes this.
  2. Mike-M

Mike-M

The two and ONLY two Gen5 models have been in the hands of the great unwashed masses for only two weeks. Is this enough time for a reasonable observer to conclude anything substantive about in-service functional reliability of Gen5's very significant internal design changes? Only if you have a very very very low threshold for satisfying such criteria!

Just about all of the significant problems with 2010 Gen4 pistols were associated with one model...the G19. Remove that unfortunate creature, and one is left only with minor alteration of a few ejectors and introduction of the DOT connector that applied more generally.
    Not if you want a weapon in a caliber more competent than 9x19mm.

biggen and Chordeiles like this.

3. TGT

TGT Do you want to see my little friend?

A defining factor of the Gen5 is the removal of the finger grips. That will make all the difference in the world to many Glock fans and is an important enough reason to switch to the Gen5 for many. Personally, I'm satisfied quite enough with my Gen 4, but the grip style does matter to many.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Quade and OUSooner like this.
  4. TexasPOff

We actually have quite a few 5th gens floating around between a few departments here and we all train and shoot together. More than two, and all have proven to be 100% reliable with several different brands, weights, and loads. by this time and the release of the 4th gen, yes the 19, problem had already started to pop up.

As far as this goes, from my own personal experience, the 9mm proved more than effective for the situation I deployed it in.

I personally don't use the caliber crutch to defend my abilities, or lack thereof. Relying or assuming one caliber is better or worse than another is just ridiculous. There are so many factors that affect the ability and effectiveness of handgun round, to claim one is insufficient and one is superior in any given situation is just nonsense. "One Mind ANY Weapon" is a much better mantra to go by than mine is better than yours cause it's smaller...LOL.

Now mind you this is all about handgun calibers. When you start talking about long guns and rifle calibers, the rules change.

5. WayneJessie

WayneJessie

IIRC the criticism of the Gen4 was primarily because Glock rushed their introduction sending many 9mm variants out that functioned like crap because of the recoil spring they obviously didn't test in it. I have a Gen4 G19 and it sucked out of the box. After a LW extractor, smooth trigger, and a 3.5 connector it runs like a top. No function issues whatsoever now. Sometimes consumers have legitamate complaints about being used as beta-testers.

6. JBnTX

JBnTX KJV Only

I'm staying with the Gen 3 Glocks.
    Buying what I want while they still make them.

I'm not crazy about the Gen 4, or the Gen 5.

7. Schrag4

Schrag4

This, and only this. Before the Gen5 came out, the Gen4 was the only Glock I would consider, because it could have a smaller grip than the Gen3 (and I wasn't too keen on buying a Gen2). The removal of the finger grooves is perhaps an even bigger step in the right direction. I own a Gen3, I just don't like how it fits my hands - too big. And one-size-fits-all solutions (finger grooves) are STUPID. While I think they are spaced too far apart, I'm sure there are people with larger hands/fingers who are glad the grooves are gone, too, because they're too close together.

8. TexasPOff

Yeah the 4th gen was without a doubt rushed out before it had been thoroughly vetted. I still have a d few 3rd and 4th gen pistols to fall back on in the event my 5th gen takes a header. Because of that I don't mind testing it out for them...:)

At this point it seems to be a solid pistol. Even though it does look like a glock, it does have a lot of new parts inside, and time will be the deciding factor as to it's service life. I am not worried about what some R&D says it will do, I want to see it for myself.

I am not sure why I jumped in on the 5th Gen honestly, other than I have been in the "try something new" market recently. So far it has been paying off.

TXPO

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Ill wait at least a year for all the bugs to get worked out before I buy