So Many Chinese Spies In U.S.

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by snerd, Aug 31, 2018.

1. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

I would bet there are hundreds of them. And hundreds more from other countries as well.

Chinese American scientist admits plot to steal GlaxoSmithKline’s trade secrets for firm in China

One of the world's leading biochemists pleaded guilty Friday to stealing proprietary information potentially worth millions from a GlaxoSmithKline research facility in Montgomery County to help a Chinese company launched with financial backing from that nation's government.

Yu Xue, 48, told a federal judge in Philadelphia that she pilfered promising cancer research she had developed while working for the British pharmaceutical giant's Upper Merion Township location between 2006 and 2016. She had hoped to market the potentially ground-breaking therapies through a business she set up in China with two other co-defendants.

The case is the latest in a string of recent prosecutions of Chinese American scientists accused of purloining trade secrets from U.S. companies in hopes of bolstering China's competitive edge.

http://www2.philly.com/philly/news/...trade-secrets-for-firm-in-china-20180831.html

2. ArtyGuy

ArtyGuy

Only hundreds? There are more than a 100 Israeli spies in the US and they are an “ally”. I didn’t see any of them on my combat deployments, fighting Islamic Terrostists, but they are enough of an “ally” to move an embassy and have Glock Talk cheer it on.

3. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

[​IMG]

Wolfie38S likes this.
  4. fatduk1963

fatduk1963

One behind every blade of grass ?

5. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

My daughter works ATC for the FAA. When she was stationed in San Diego the small airport she worked at (Gillespie Field) had 4 flying schools teaching private pilots.

I was told (and saw) 90%+ of the students were Chinese young males, early 20's.
    Learning to fly here.
    Learning English (getting better at it).
    Buying charts/maps.
    If lucky, marrying an American lady of Chinese family, and making a baby. (dual citizenship)

Spies? (I was told the kids were all Chinese Air Force cadets... but who knows? Not like there is a Navy or Marine base nearby or anything worth spying on)

Wise. (IMO)

San Diego only or was/is this a common practice throughout the USA? (dunno)

Use our greatest gift, freedom, against us...? Sure.

I do (or did) often wonder if the youngsters learning to fly also learned to appreciate the USA when compared to home... as screwed up as we are... or if we're just the stupid twits of the world, letting most anyone in.

happyguy likes this.
  6. bdcochran

bdcochran

More than a few hundred. Disclosure: I attended the local JC this last term. Nearly 300,000 Red Chinese students are on student visas in the US. Nearly all of them are sponsored. They are required to belong to a Red Chinese student club on campus. Most are going to go back to China after completing studies. Most already have undergraduate courses in China under their belts.

I explain why and it relates to language. Chinese students memorize. They are not taught to think creatively. A tree in the morning is not the symbol for a tree in the afternoon or for a tree in the winter. So, to get ahead, you memorize. You cannot write Chinese characters without memorizing. With that understanding, you can figure out that you do not get ahead by thinking of how you get from point a to point b. In English, you don't memorize characters. Now, do you understand why there has been a focus on stealing plans/diagrams/processes.

In the old days (and I know this from discussions in China), if a kid's father didn't have enough pull and was local, the kid would be sent to a Jesuit school in PA, USA.

When you factor in that withTiananmen Square, the Chinese government stopped guaranteeing jobs to college graduate in civil service (200,000 a year) or the military, you had to do something.

So, you send your kids to the US to learn how to think creatively and do it cheaper than you can do it in Red China.

Spies? When I worked for a Japanese company decades ago, a person was not allowed to leave Japan without a business purpose. Not for vacation. When you returned, you did a report.

Baba Louie likes this.
  7. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

My dad said every chinese person at electronic trade shows was busy taking pictures of everything.

8. ArtyGuy

ArtyGuy

Maybe you have a point, or you let someone else think for you? I didn’t see ‘ole Ben down range either. Maybe he also had heel spurs. But I digress.

Wolfie38S likes this.
  9. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wolfie38S likes this.
  10. G29guy06

G29guy06

Really?

We’d love to have their assistance on the ground but there’s over a thousand yrs history that says Jews killing Muslims in Muslim countries is a bad idea...did you trash israeli’s for not bombing Saddam during desert storm too?

11. Dave Brubaker

Dave Brubaker

I understand it as the Chinese being cheating thieves who take full advantage of the leftist idiocy that allows them to be here as if we need them.

I don't excuse their theft because of some inherent deficiency in their written language.

12. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Plus, any person of Chinese decent with strong traditional family ties with relatives in China would likely be easy to turn into a spy. Considering the kinds of threats the Chinese government is capable of.
    Just sayin' ...

13. C_Hallbert

C_Hallbert

Poor Yu Xue, Xi JinPing has already called the hit. Say hello to your ancestors.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatboy2001 likes this.
  14. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

stare.gif

15. bdcochran

bdcochran

San Diego only or was/is this a common practice throughout the USA? (dunno)

Very common practice. The language of international air controllers is English. Most controllers speak with a standard American English overlaid with native accent. No time left over to spy or appreciate American culture.

Wolfie38S likes this.
  16. MDLibertarian

MDLibertarian NRA Life Member

I'd suggest looking into China's 1000 Talents Program for information about this issue. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_Talents_Program_(China)

And I'd like to highlight this part of the Wikipedia page to ensure you understand the seriousness of this program and its true intent.

bdcochran likes this.
  17. bdcochran

bdcochran

MD is correct.

Here is the garbage I have read about allowing foreign students in on visas:
    1. it used to be that the US was brain draining the rest of the world;
    2. now it is the US in its public institutions is training the rest of the world to the detriment of US students (not many of the foreign students are studying sociology, p.e., anthropology, history, psychology, political science are they>>)

You should try to maintain a sense of humor. When the great recession hit in the last decade, the Los Angeles Unified School District lost 100,000 elementary school pupils. they went to Mexico with mom and dad because there wasn't work here. Mom and dad are not coming back so soon because the skills that they picked up in the US were of a higher order than what was learned in Mexico. (FYI, I have read that 1/2 of the policemen in Mexico City do not have a high school education). 100,000 kids from one district alone. 100,000 kids taking American cultural aspects, concepts of freedom (like not voting for the PRI), and a strong dosage of philosophy from elementary school teachers. Oh well. Another few years and there will Americanized or American born agitators who were bred in LAUSD elementary schools. (By the way, not one teacher was laid off!)

There are 2,000,000 Taiwanese nationals employed in Red China. A great opportunity for spies to go both ways, right! Moreover, Red Chinese nationals are being "infected" by those Taiwanese.

My sense of humor is admittedly warped. One time I stood in the middle of a concrete reinforced highway in western China for 10 minutes without a single vehicle coming by. It was designed as a tank road and I laughed. My companion asked why I was laughing. I said that the military road built to facilitate suppression of the Ungher people also ran to Beijing and it was only a matter of time before car bombs were sent to Beijing (and it has since happened!). Try to see the positive as well when observing the negative and you might live longer without ulcers.

18. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Seems we are our own worse enemies.

rj1939 likes this.