Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And for some reason I'm thinking that a 442/642 with +p would be a better round.

I've done quite a bit of poking around on the internets and find there are two schools in session on this topic. The first saying it's the hits count, don't worry, there's really not much difference between the two. The second claiming superior firepower goes to the heavier grained .38.

I know this is probably one of those this that's been discussed as nauseum, but I thought I would pose it here as I couldn't find a specific GlockTalk thread.

I'm curious if anyone has made the switch and the reasons why, or why not.

Thanks in advance. ---VELO

·
Floyd
3,569 Posts
I made the switch from my S&W 642 as my pocket gun to a Ruger LCP.

I love the 642, but I love the flatness of the LCP better. I'll still stick the 642 in a jacket pocket, but for pants or shorts pockets the LCP wins.

It took several hundred rounds before I was confident enough to carry the LCP. But it has never malfunctioned.

·
****** Viejo
32,104 Posts
I carry a 642 most of the time.Certain situations dictate a smaller gun and that is when the flat,small,light weight pocket auto comes in.In my case it is a P-32 (usually).I've been kicking around the idea of a .380 and looked at the P3AT,LCP and the Taurus offering.In a short time I'll make my decission.I would keep all options open ie,snub nose revolver,small pistol,large pistol,etc.tom.:cool:

·
Boomshakalaka
3,195 Posts
If you are going to make the switch/upgrade - go with a 9mm. With the 442/642 you are going to only 5 rounds, but with the LCP you get 7 rounds. A slightly better round, but less ammo.

Lots of single stack 9mm's out there just a little bit bigger than the LCP. Kahr PM9, Ruger LC9, Sig P290, etc.

·
Infidel :)
3,977 Posts
Went through this myself w/a Ti J-frame and my P3AT.

P3AT is FASTER to reload hands down, and holds 2 more rounds (6+1).

I can carry my P3AT and two spare mags a LOT easier than I can my J frame, and have four more rounds on me, as opposed to my J frame and 2 speed loaders for it (unless I use speed strips, then it's only one round, but I can still load the mags in the gun faster than I can the revolver from the speed strips (6+1 in the gun, plus two 6 round mags, vs 5 rounds in the J frame, and either two 5 shot speed loaders, or two 6 round speed strips). Confused yet? :)

·
Badass Member
6,777 Posts
I have both, The 642 is a better gun, better round, and more reliable by nature. I've never had any issues with my P3AT but I feel more comfortable with the 642. I can make 100yd shots on 15" steel plates with the 642, I'm lucky to make good shot at 25yds with the P3AT.

The P3at is slightly harder to carry due to the width of the cylinder but it still dissapears in my front pocket.

·
woo woo
31,625 Posts
It's like anything else, one is better for carrying, one is better for fighting.

If you can conceal the J frame, it's FAR more likely to work when you need it and hits harder. The mini .380's are as good as it gets compared to .22 and .32acp guns, but make sure it works with the ammo you carry and less than perfect grip.

I find I can grab the J frame and employ it more quickly from a pocket than the P3AT (or BG .380 now), reloads about as fast and drives 158gr lead hollowpoints faster than most 147gr 9mm loads, so it gets used far more often.

·
Handgunner
255 Posts
My 640 is my primary carry during jacket or sweatshirt season. I use a crossbreed supertuck so even under a bigger shirt its not very noticeable if I have to take my sweatshirt or jacket off in a store or restaurant. For the nice weather when concealing the revolver is not happening I'll be adding a BG380 to the arsenal hopefully for a self b-day gift next March.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I have one of most all of these. I use my 642 the least. IMy fovorite pocket pistol by a mile is the Sig 290. I carry it about 90% of the time. I love the power of the 9mm loaded with Corbon DPX's. The rest of the time I use my Ruger LCP. The 380 is just as strong, if not stronger than the 38 special, and it has a higher capacity.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
I would suggest you keep the P3AT and add the snub. My carry guns are a variety of models for any occasion that ensure that there is no way I can't carry.

Pocket, ankle, IWB, biking, camping etc are all covered. I have a P238 and 638 Airweight . The P238 is for pocket and the 638 is for ankle or bicycle carry. Nothing wrong with a variety of carry guns as long as you keep proficient with them.

BTW,if you want a well performing .380 SD round I would look at the Hornady critical defense. I've seen tests where it gets 16" of penetration after 4 layers of denim with full expansion out of a P238.

·
Registered
16,713 Posts
my first small concealable CCW pistol was a KT. I couldn't trust it to function even with FMJ. I sent it back to KT twice and still no go.

I traded it for a 442. I load it .38spl+p Gold Dot SB. I trust it completely and believe the Gold Dot .38 is superior to any .380 load from a KT's short barrel.

IMO it pocket carries just as easy. The jframe is a little thicker, but the profile is shaped perfectly for drawing from a pocket.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I have a P3AT, P32, PF9, 642, NAA mini 22mag...My daily carry is pretty much the PF9 in a OWB kydex paddle..Pocket carry my P3AT in a pocket holster..
I am a much better shot with the semi auto's than the 642..No doubt the +p in 38 special is a superior round..

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
And for some reason I'm thinking that a 442/642 with +p would be a better round.

I've done quite a bit of poking around on the internets and find there are two schools in session on this topic. The first saying it's the hits count, don't worry, there's really not much difference between the two. The second claiming superior firepower goes to the heavier grained .38.

I know this is probably one of those this that's been discussed as nauseum, but I thought I would pose it here as I couldn't find a specific GlockTalk thread.

I'm curious if anyone has made the switch and the reasons why, or why not.

Thanks in advance. ---VELO
People get the criteria order for selecting a handgun for self protection out of order:

The order and qualities you should be looking for are:

Reliable - it works when you pull the trigger
Size and weight - you will carry it
Accurate - you hit what you are aiming at
Number of rounds
Caliber - adequate to deter/stop an attacker

·
Badass Member
6,777 Posts
I have one of most all of these. I use my 642 the least. IMy fovorite pocket pistol by a mile is the Sig 290. I carry it about 90% of the time. I love the power of the 9mm loaded with Corbon DPX's. The rest of the time I use my Ruger LCP. The 380 is just as strong, if not stronger than the 38 special, and it has a higher capacity.
Not so much... I even used the hottest .380 on the market for you (Buffalo Bore). .38 has at least 20% more power than the .380 no matter how you look at it.

380 Auto +P Ammo - 100 gr. Hardcast F.N. (Keltec---1061 fps-250ft/lbs)

Heavy .38 Special +P Ammo - 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P. S&W mod. 60, 2 inch- 1040 fps (379 ft. lbs.)

So out of the 2 guns we are talking about in this thread, the .38 has ~40% more energy than the .380 with comparable loadings.

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
People get the criteria order for selecting a handgun for self protection out of order:

The order and qualities you should be looking for are:

Reliable - it works when you pull the trigger
Size and weight - you will carry it
Accurate - you hit what you are aiming at
Number of rounds
Caliber - adequate to deter/stop an attacker
Ditto. If it doesn't work every time then it doesn't matter how hard hitting or accurate it is. Also, if it's too large to be comfortable to carry it'll either stay in the car or stay at home and we all know the 1st law of a gun fight is Have A Gun.

·
Member since 2001, account got messed up.
305 Posts
Personally I think the 38Spl is more versatile than the 380. It's also cheaper if you buy factory ammo. The small 380's like yours are definitely easier to carry, but if you can pocket carry a snubnose, I think it's a better package. Just my opinion and since I can pocket carry a baby Glock (33), it's not an issue for me.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone for your insight and personal experience with these two guns.

All the arguments for and against are certainly valid. Especially the poster who recommended going to a single stack 9mm. My primary carry is a G-26, or a G-19 when I'm feeling frisky. :supergrin: As everyone here knows, those are both thick guns and sometimes a thinner one would be nice.

I don't pocket carry much as I feel like the gun is not accessible quickly enough. If I do it's in a Desantis pocket holster and works pretty well. Usually the P3AT is IWB with a sideclip. (Please don't lecture about the need for a holster. My gun...my hip...my choice.) It's an incredibly concealable package.

I guess it's just the firepower issue. Perhaps I've read too many threads about the .380 being sub-standard. Maybe I'm just trying to justify a revolver? For me the round count is probably the biggest question. Do you go with fewer of a more potent round, or two more of a less potent one? And is the potentcy really that different?

I probably should just fall back on the default solution. GET BOTH! Thanks again everyone. As you can probably tell, I've really got myself wrapped around the axle on this. :crazy:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.