close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So I've been talking to an Army recruiter (3 actually)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Andy W, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Andy W

Andy W

Okay, so I am now 20 years old and will have 50 college credits by the end of this semester. I have been attending college for about 2 years now and just haven't quite been able to figure out what I want to do with my life. I have been tossing around the idea of joining the military for quite a while. Some of you may remember my past military threads. They had a career fair on campus a few weeks ago and they had recruiters from all branches of the military there. So I stopped and talked to the Army recruiters for a few minutes. One of the recruiters then set me up an appointment with him the following evening.

At the meeting, the recruiter (a different one actually) asked me all the basic questions (Why are you interested in joining the Army? Do you have any convictions, medical conditions, etc that I need to know about? Do you have any tattoos,etc.) Then he gave me the opportunity to take a practice ASVAB test, on which I received a 68. Then he scheduled me to take the ASVAB for real. I took that last week and received an AFQT of 85 and a score of 117 GT. I don't remember the other sub-scores. It looks like, based on my score, I could qualify for pretty much any job I wanted in the Army.

However, I still have to go to MEPS and take the physical, which I'm told is about as fun as running your fingernails across a chalkboard. I'm told I can do this without a commitment. Is that true?

I'm still not sure if I want to enlist at this point. What do you think?

2. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

So, you have two years of college left? Have you looked into if you want to do the enlisted track or the officer track? IF you definitely want to be an officer, finish college.

You can always finish your Bachelors while in the service {depending on what you are doing} and go officer later, too.

3. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

What do you want to do as far as a job?

4. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Until you raise your right hand and sign a piece of paper you can back out.

5. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

You're right on both of those. Don't get suckered into signing papers unless you're sure.

Like AK_stick said, what kind of job are you wanting to do?

6. raven11

raven11

true, but i've seen many men that just decided to remain enlisted. before i sign any paper i would decide if i wanted to be an officer or an enlistedman. do not let the recruiter talk you into a higher enlisted rank vs a 2nd lt

7. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Finish college. Maybe join ROTC in college (if your school has the program). Great scholarship opportunities too.

8. gearjammer351

gearjammer351 EnemyOfTheState

The life of a private and the life of a lieutenant are very different- in many ways. I'd advise you to look into it carefully and decide what you want out of the army. The army website has a lot of information that wasn't available to some of us when we were trying to make such decisions.

There is also the 'green to gold' track if you change your mind. Being a private for a while won't do you any harm- it may even build some character and give you an idea if the army is something you'd want to make a career of. If you plan to make a career of it, it would be better to retire as an O-7 than an E-7, financially and otherwise.

9. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

SPC if he has college and a decent recruiter.

The latter is true, though.

10. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

It's perfectly normal to be unsure about what you want to do with your life when you're only twenty years old, but it's not a reason to quit college and join the army.

Stay in school and keep thinking about it for a couple more years. You can still join later if you want to, because it's not like 22 is too old for the army.

11. RaiderCop

RaiderCop NRA Life Member

I would never persuade you not to join. I enlisted at 17 years old and was a sergeant on a Nike Hercules missile site in Germany by the time I was your age. Great times! If I had to do it all over and was in your position, I would finish college and get a commission. Like others said I’d rather be an O1 than an E1.

12. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Thank you for your service, and for your involvement in a cool piece of American history.

13. Swiper

Swiper

But there is very few officers that will retire as an O-7. Most of them will retire at O-5 or get out before becoming eligible for retirement. But a retired officer will probably have twice the retirement pay as the enlisted with same years in service.

14. Andy W

Andy W

That's another thing I'm trying to figure out. I used to want to be an officer but now I'm not so sure. Yes, officers are better off financially and otherwise, but there is a lot of responsibility given to officers, most importantly the lives of at least few dozen people. It's just awe inspiring that I would be given that amount of responsibility 6 months or so out of college, especially without any prior military service. Could I do it? Probably, but it is still a lot to think about. There is a lot to be said about officers who are former NCOs.

I want to be out in the field carrying out the mission, not sitting in an office or tent somewhere planning it. Beyond the rank of Captain, most officers don't spend a whole lot of time in the field. If I was going to make a career out of the Army, I think I would almost rather be a senior NCO than a General just because a senior NCO still "works for a living." Someone please correct me if my perceptions are wrong.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  15. Surt

Surt Jötunn-Kin

I've met very few former enlisted officers that I didn't respect greatly. It really seems to make for a good leader to have filled the shoes of the people he's leading, even if it's not in the same specialty, at least they know what it's like to spend 18 hours a day organizing ISU-90s.

16. Andy W

Andy W

Originally I wanted to be a helicopter pilot, but failing that, Airborne Infantry looks pretty interesting.

17. the iceman

the iceman Proud Veteran CLM

Don't sweat it.

I am 29 with 6 years of active duty under my belt and currently a graduate student.

I still don't have a clue about what I want to do with my life! It happens.

18. RaiderCop

RaiderCop NRA Life Member

Don’t mention it. It was an honor to wear that uniform and serve our nation in that capacity. The Cold War was such a heady time; the things I got to see and do… wow! Only the Army would require a couple of 18-year olds to draw keys and access tactical nuclear missiles on a daily basis. In a time of war one of those teenagers (me) would eventually receive both parts of a needed combination, unlock and remove a safety device and arm the warhead, allowing the missile to be fired and detonated (hopefully FAR down range). Politics, unconventional warfare, East-West relations, being a good little junior ambassador were always being thrust upon a bunch of us teenage American boys. Did I mention the beer and German Madchens? :drink::drool:

Good link to a little NATO Nike Herc history

19. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

So what's keeping you from being a helicopter pilot? I've heard it's a hell of a job.

Get it in writing if you want to go into flight school immediately. Or you could do what quite a few people did and go in enlisted and put in your packet from the inside.

20. bennwj

bennwj Command Sergeant Major (retired) Silver Member

You can back out at anytime before you take the oath of enlistment. Actually you can even back out AFTER the oath but before you report to your BCT site.

The physical is no big deal. Just a typical physical exam...bloodwork...bend over....turn your head and cough....

If you have 60 hours you can go "Green to Gold" if you enlist now. You will likely get an additional 10 hours of "elective credit" just for completing your training and then you can apply for OCS.

Good Luck