Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First my Mother in Law is Ok. She is in her 80's and lives alone in a small town. She fell asleep on the couch and was awoken by a noise. She was startled to see a women and 2 kids in the hall going toward the bedrooms. She told them to leave and they walked past her and out the front door. The intruders had raided the Fridge taken food. She did not see any other items missing even though they had been on the front bedroom as the bed was messed up. She was fortunate that they did not assault her in any way. She does have an alarm but it appears that she did not set it. A gun is out of the question for her. She called the police but it was 2 hours before they arrived. The officer said they had other reports similar to this. We are thankful she was not harmed. She is upset and nervous now. We are not local to her or we would be staying there for a few days.

If someone is hungry I do not have any problem with feeding them and getting them food and or supplies. I have a real problem with them just coming in the house. This could have ended very badly for either party. They come in to the wrong house and someone may have shot and killed the Mom or kids. Or a home owner could have been killed.

We are going to call her tonight to make sure she is setting the alarm and checking the doors. I do not know if my wife will sleep tonight being worried about her mom.

Finestkind

·
Mentally Frozen
28,538 Posts
Locking the doors would prevent this. Happy you MIL wasn't hurt.

·
Registered
11,126 Posts
Yes, I'm also happy no physical harm was done, but as Ramjet already mentioned locking all doors would help deter crimes of opportunity. And at your mother's age there's a good chance she'll be targeted again if our situation remains the same or deteriorates.

·
Previously Will Beararms
6,661 Posts
If they’d come in on my mother n law they would have run like hell and not looked back. Jeez talk about a house of horrors...
Exactly. Mine would have filled their azzes full of 124 Grain +P 9mm JHP and been yelling at them as she did it and she is on the back side of 70!

·
Registered
25,955 Posts
I will say +1 to a dog -- doesn't have to be big or mean -

I would say pound for pound a Chihuahua is just about the perfect watch dog - ours was fearless and barked like crazy if someone came to the door.

Maybe get one of those life alert things she wears that has the push button for help features -

Sucks to be old and living in fear - it can totally change a seniors life -

So - for whatever it is worth - doing something to make her feel safer is one goal - and a dog and a push this button for help could be a good start.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Oh my gosh so glad this turned out good. Where was this? My doors are checked and house chk'd every night before bed.Gun next to my head.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Glad she's Ok. All of you are going to be on edge now. You need to talk with you mil because she's going to experience ptsd. It's inevitable given what you've described.

If this would have happened in my house my dog would have alerted me first, then she'd run and hide as I ventilated the intruder.

·
Registered
12,057 Posts
I will say +1 to a dog -- doesn't have to be big or mean -

I would say pound for pound a Chihuahua is just about the perfect watch dog - ours was fearless and barked like crazy if someone came to the door.

Maybe get one of those life alert things she wears that has the push button for help features -

Sucks to be old and living in fear - it can totally change a seniors life -

So - for whatever it is worth - doing something to make her feel safer is one goal - and a dog and a push this button for help could be a good start.
Yup...we used to have a Pomeranian. You don't need a big dog, just a loud dog.

·
The wind serenades a purified man.
4,642 Posts
The woman and two children could have a key to MIL's house. Does your MIL have a maid? Also, your MIL could have been hallucinating about the three strange people in her house, uninvited. Or, a woman and two kids could have simply walked into her unlocked house, past your sleeping MIL, raided the fridge, jumped on the bed, and politely left the house when asked to, exactly as your MIL told you. It's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. When dealing with the elderly that live alone, you just have to consider many possible scenarios. Sounds like it's time to consider an assisted living arrangement. I've recently had to deal with a not dissimilar incident with my own mother.

·
Registered
43,659 Posts
Woman and 2 kids? Are we positive that dementia or some kind of dream/nightmare isn't involved?

·
Director of civil unrest
10,294 Posts
I do weird things. Like when I get into my car, I immediately lock the doors. Some people notice this and are like why'd you just do that? And I tell them that most car jackings occur right as someone is getting into are right after they get into their car and I'm not going to get car-jacked.
The moment I enter my home, the front door gets locked. I don't necessarily live in a high crime area but as this post shows, home invasions are on the rise, even before the fake pandemic.
You MIL is from a time past. A time when people didn't need to lock their doors and didn't worry about falling asleep on the couch with the doors unlocked. She needs to be educated about today's world.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts