Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning my son’s wedding right now sucks. Everything went to hell.

The reception venue we rented from the city is closed. We might not get a refund but they will give us credit for future rent.

The restaurant we reserved for the lunch after the ceremony is back open but take out only. They did cancel our reservation.

Worst is the church is closed.

So my son’s friend is a minister of The Church of the Later Day Dude. Or Dudeism. Yes, from the movie. It is a recognized religion and growing in popularity in Thailand. He is going to preform the ceremony. He got his certificate as a gag but the state recognizes it.

Not what we expected but at least they are getting it done.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Planning my son’s wedding right now sucks. Everything went to hell.

The reception venue we rented from the city is closed. We might not get a refund but they will give us credit for future rent.

The restaurant we reserved for the lunch after the ceremony is back open but take out only. They did cancel our reservation.

Worst is the church is closed.

So my son’s friend is a minister of The Church of the Later Day Dude. Or Dudeism. Yes, from the movie. It is a recognized religion and growing in popularity in Thailand. He is going to preform the ceremony. He got his certificate as a gag but the state recognizes it.

Not what we expected but at least they are getting it done.
What’s the hurry? Maybe postpone it a year so they can do it the way they want.

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What’s the hurry? Maybe postpone it a year so they can do it the way they want.
They are only moving the wedding up one week from the original plan. They work for the university. With things being closed down they are being kicked out of dorm housing. But if they are married they can move into university married housing.

It’s a little more complicated than that but that is the gist of it. If they are not married they need to find somewhere else to live off campus at a much higher rent. Besides they won’t move in together until they are married.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
They are only moving the wedding up one week from the original plan. They work for the university. With things being closed down they are being kicked out of dorm housing. But if they are married they can move into university married housing.

It’s a little more complicated than that but that is the gist of it. If they are not married they need to find somewhere else to live off campus at a much higher rent. Besides they won’t move in together until they are married.
To each his own. I’d never advise getting married while still in school, heck these days I think it’s a good idea to just live together for awhile. But everyone has their own ideas. I wish them well.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If only your son's name were Donny, then the groom's vow could be..."No, they're nihilists" and the bride's answer...Shut the f*&k up Donny." But, I guess you can't have everything that the Dude has. By the way, does anyone know if there's a Ralph's around here? I need an empty coffee can.

·
Why so serious?
65,970 Posts
Best wishes.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

·
19,061 Posts
It would be best to wait until the quarantine is over and you can find a legitimate clergyman.

I am a retired construction worker turned graphic artist and I am closer to a legitimate clergyman than a some screwball wingnut practitioner of a lunatic quasi religion based on a cockamamie movie character, and furthermore I am an actual ordained minister in the Universal Life church and was ordained by it's founder, Kirby J Hensley back in the late sixties. I have never used my ministerial authority to officiate a wedding but would be willing to do so with a traditional religious ceremony, which goes something like this:

Dearly beloved and honored guests:

We are gathered together here to join _____ and _____ in the union of Holy Matrimony.
The union of husband and wife is intended by God for their mutual joy; for the help and comfort given each other in prosperity and adversity. Therefore marriage is not to be entered into unadvisedly or lightly, but reverently, deliberately, and in accordance with the purposes for which it was instituted by God.

_____, do you take _____ to be your husband/wife and do you promise to love, honor, cherish, and protect him/her, forsaking all others, and holding only unto him/her forevermore, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do you part?

[“I do.”]

And _____, do you take _____ to be your husband/wife and do you promise to love, honor, cherish, and protect him/her, forsaking all others, and holding only unto him/her forevermore, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do you part?

[“I do.”]

_____ and _____ will now exchange rings as a symbol of love and commitment to each other. Rings are a precious metal; they are made more precious by you wearing them. Your wedding rings are special; they enhance who you are. They mark the beginning of your long journey together. Your wedding ring is a circle—a symbol of love never ending. It is the seal of the vows you have just taken to love each other without end.

_____, please place the ring on_____’s left hand and repeat after me:
As a sign of my love
[“As a sign of my love”]
That I have chosen you
[That I have chosen you”]
Above all else
[“Above all else”]
With this ring, I thee wed.
[“With this ring, I thee wed.”]

And_____, please place the ring on_____’s left hand and repeat after me:
As a sign of my love
[“As a sign of my love”]
That I have chosen you
[That I have chosen you”]
Above all else
[“Above all else”]
With this ring, I thee wed.
[“With this ring, I thee wed.”]

To make your relationship work will require love and sacrifice. It will take trust to know that in your hearts, you truly want what is best for each other.

It will take dedication to stay connected to one another—and to learn and grow together.

It will take loyalty to go forward together, without knowing exactly what the future brings.

And it will take commitment to hold true to the life you have both pledged together today.

And now by the power vested in me by the Universal Life Church, it is my honor to declare you husband and wife. Go forth and live each day to the fullest. You may seal this declaration with a kiss.

[Kiss]

I am pleased to present the newlyweds, Mr and MRS______ and______ __________.

Now let the festivities begin .

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It’s his best friend. He could just go to the county courthouse and pay a fee to do a one time wedding. But having a certificate already saves him the fee.

·
19,061 Posts
It’s his best friend. He could just go to the county courthouse and pay a fee to do a one time wedding. But having a certificate already saves him the fee.
Oh so it's a cheapo wedding. Good luck with that. You might as well just go along whatever they want to do and be supportive as you can both now and in a few years when the divorce comes.

Not for me to judge but your son sounds immature. Hopefully marriage will help him grow up and hopefully he's found a good woman.

·
Firm member
30,252 Posts
We attended a good friend's wedding in the Poconos outside of Hawley, PA a few years ago, and they had rented out a boys' summer camp off-season for the wedding and weekend. I met the groom as a cabin mate in said camp when we were both ten in 1970 and we've remained great friends since. The crafty devil gave my wife & I the same cabin where I spent the summer of 1970 with twelve other stinky, bug-bitten wankers. We slid two bunk-beds together and made a go of it, and it was a dream come true for this ten year old. HH

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not for me to judge but your son sounds immature. Hopefully marriage will help him grow up and hopefully he's found a good woman.
Far from immature. The shut down just derailed long set plans. They are not going to delay the wedding just because the venues were pulled out from underneath them. Far too many people put too much into the wedding and not enough into the marriage. What comes after the ceremony is what is important. Not the party.

·
Firm member
30,252 Posts
Our own wedding was in a JOP's office where one of his partners was attempting to mediate a client's divorce. While we're holding hands and reciting vows, you could hear the screams, profanity and furniture kicking through the drywall. November, 1994 and we're still here. HH

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They are still going to do the church thing and have a reception when the church reopens and everyone can attend. But who knows when that will be. Right now we have family stuck in Europe.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts