So I'm in line at the Publix in Ft. Lauderdale

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by VictorLouis, May 24, 2005.

1. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

I'm behind a father and son of obvious Caribbean lineage. The dad sets down a package of ....

CHICKEN FEET

to be totaled-up. My aunt, who's a cashier there, said it's used as a soup base by several different cultures. Don't get me wrong, as I've eaten them in a Dim-Sum place, but I can't imagine paying MORE for them than the price of dark-meat thighs or wings.

Anyone have input?

2. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

I have some input:

WTF?!?

More expensive? That kind of defeats the whole history of using chicken feet to begin with, but I guess it's to a point where it's done strictly for adherence to tradition.

3. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Well, it defeets the chicken, that's fo sho!

;e

4. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

I sho luvs mah chicken feet! ;f

5. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

6. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

I've had duck feet never chicken feet though. Not bad, but nothing good either, rather spend the money on pickled octi.

7. noway

noway

yeap is probably a traditional and ethnic food. The bad thing is, food that I grew up on and took for granted , is now considered ethnic cooking and is overly priced ( chicken feet, ox tail, pig tail&ears, empanadas, goat & curry,etc...... ). Not all chicken feet is used as soup base. Nothing wrong with chicken feet, specially BBQ and or cooked in gravy. Other good feets/legs to eat are cow, pig and frogs.I 've eaten chicken feet Southern style, Caribbean style, and korean & japanese style. All is good. ;)

btw: if you want some good chicken feet, skip publix and head over to Broward meat & fish or sometime they have them at the flea market off samples & the turnpike. Better selection and generally cheaper.

8. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

There's no way on EARTH I'd spend more per-pound on the feet then on the meatier portions of the yard-bird.;f

I forgot to mention, this was on my vacation trip back there last year. I've been out here in the desert for 10 years. I've not seen any use of the scratchers other than in a Dim-Sum house. However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're to be found in some Mexican recipe or another.:cool:

9. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

There has been killings over chicken feet down heah in the south(really).....but not at our house!

10. lwt210

lwt210

Recipies? Dipping sauces?

"Hey, these feet taste like chicken".

Never seen that on the menu anywhere. Maybe I don't get out enough.

11. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Chicken feet are good, but neckbones are better. Neckbones and rice...yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

12. VictorLouis

VictorLouis

Smoked neck-bones and rice. I used to get that all the time at the Piggly-Wiggly "deli" when I was stationed in Georgia. ;f

13. noway

noway

Actually smoked turkey necks are even better. More meat ;)

14. Remander

Remander

Grocery stores in poorer neighborhoods around here carry them, but I have never heard anyone talk about eating them. I saw too many chickens walk around in their own feces in the chicken yard to allow them to seem appetizing.

I once read that the U.S. exports literally tons of chicken feet to Asia. Still not exactly sure what they do with them.

15. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

I think the dish started out centuries ago with two drunk guys that dared the other to eat them and the tradition. Kinda why you only see pickled pigs feet and eggs in bars. You gotta be really drunk to fully appreciate them, otherwise you'd just eat something else that actually has taste.