So i just had a background check done ..

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by harleyfx69, Mar 16, 2010.

1. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

by an apartment that we are renting here shortly,

i made the mistake of letting my girlfriend fill out the paperwork, and i just glanced over it and signed it, it had the normal have you ever had a felony or violent / theft crime, and the answers were no,

but i just got a call from the lady saying the background came back and there were some hits on it, and she briefly listed a couple things,

some of the things that she listed i did not do / nor have ever been involved,

and 1-2 other things on it were dropped by the prosecutor and were suppose to be completely off my record,

is there anyway i can see what is on there myself from home, or possibly a trip to a PD,

or should i just go to the apartment place and ask to see the file ?

2. Swerved

Swerved Not panicking

I think there are services you can pay a fee to and get a background check on yourself (online), though I don't know any off hand.

As far as the things that were dropped, you still may need to get them expunged from your record completely. Most any lawyer can help you with that if you should need to. Was it something that was supposed to go away after probationary terms were met? Or was it something that was dropped as soon as you showed up at court, never getting to the point of being "convicted"? (if you don't mind saying, that is)

Anyway, just because a case was dropped doesn't mean it won't come up on a background check.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010

3. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

go to the state patrol.

4. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

You have to request a deposition of each case... which basically says when and what happened and what happened to you... but like having hits... is not in any way legal to dismiss you just for that has to be a definate something not just you got arrested in 2005 for misdeameanor and says nothing of charges dropped.

I get a hit for 1 thing... and when I buy a pistol I get "Conditionally Approved" meaning the its legal for me to take the pistol home after 3-5 days because there is no way in hell they are getting the full info from Chicago that fast.

Even though I am not Approved... or passed the background check in any way... the law says they have so many days to deny you and after that its your choice to wait longer or take the pistol home.

You can also get hits for merely having a common name... even though the search has your social on it...

5. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

You need to go to down yourself and get a hard copy of your records. get this cleared up pronto!

I perceive some bad stuff coming for you over this if you don't. Do not procrastinate on this one.

(BTW- Are you sure the apartment mgr. wasn't speaking about your g/f's record? :whistling: )

6. maynardwix

maynardwix Notre Dame Fan!

This... You'll need to have it sealed and expunged from you record as Swerved said, a lawyer will help you with that.

7. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

swerved , i went to court over the issue, talked with the prosecutor, she decided that the evidence was enough to prove that i was in the right, and made a motion to dismiss all charges, no conditions,

i know its not my girlfriend because these are things i was involved with, just they shouldnt be there except for one or two things, which i know she wasnt involved with

8. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

ill go and check on it today at the office,

i dont think i have any warrants or anything, as i have bought a gun within 6 months, and also been pulled over and had my license ran within a couple months,

and i would imagine it would come up on one of those

9. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Your clean the manager is just playing f-ing columbo cause there was a marathon on last night...

10. Swerved

Swerved Not panicking

Ok.. Well, I could be a little off but if I'm not mistaken things can show up on your record even if the case went favorably for you. This means even if you were found not guilty, or even if the charges were dismissed, they can still hang around on your record. The rules may vary from state to state, but you can probably obtain a copy of your record at the clerk of court or somewhere the likes of.. Or, just get a lawyer to handle it for you while he's at it.. Depending on how many things it is they need to tidy up, it shouldn't cost too much.

11. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

the thing is there is no real point to having it closed out completely, as i still have to disclose it for job applications, and if i dont , that is lying, and they will find out anyway,

i just need to make sure there isnt things that i was not involved in on there,

12. blueiron

blueiron

Every state has a central repository of criminal justice records [for that state only and it does not include federal records] that resides at the state level.

You can contact the state police, state dep't of justice, state A.G., and they can point you to the correct agency. They, for a fee, will print out your records, but they cannot fix or alter anything based on your world alone. To repair inconsistences or errors in those reocrds, you must contact the courts involved and they can direct the errors to be amended, rescinded, or other.

You may have to contact prosecuting attorney offices to petition the courts or the L.E. agency that initiated the cases to help in the review of the cases.

Unless you are a subscriber to Lexis-Nexis and I doubt most here are, a "background check" via the internet and most public search companies is a waste of time and incomplete.

13. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

It always helps to remember what you have done so I would go ask the nosy lady so you can see what she has found.

14. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Did you get the apartment?

15. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

Go to your local county's PD. I had to get one for a job I was looking at. It's a few bucks for a county-only one, and like $15 around here for a Federal or state check.

-Cody

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  16. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

yes we got the apartment,

i went down to the leasing office and talked to the lady,

she let me see the report,

and it contained exactly what i thought it would, she had just read it wrong .. and in the process scared the crap out of me .. so i showed her the part where it said completely dismissed by the county attorney

so all is well here..

thanks guys

17. Jbar4Ranch

Jbar4Ranch B-Western Hero Millennium Member

It's actually the dealer's choice if you take the gun home or not. The law says that in the case of a delayed transaction, if the dealer doesn't hear back from NICS in three business days, the dealer may transfer the firearm. It doesn't say the dealer MUST transfer the firearm, and many dealers WILL NOT transfer the gun without a "proceed" from NICS. Dealers have landed themselves in hot water before by selling a gun after three days, then hearing back from NICS a day or two later that the buyer is a felon with outstanding warrants and has been denied, which puts the dealer in the position of having sold a gun to a prohibited person.

It's the government, it's not supposed to make sense.