close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

so i just bought a pet "fancy" rat, anyone else own a rat?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by hungryhippo45, Mar 30, 2010.

1. hungryhippo45

hungryhippo45

so i was doing some shopping at a big strip mall thing and somehow ended up in a petsmart where my buddy convinced me to buy a pet rat. i end up dropping $170 bucks on this thing, getting everything from a "rat manor", to bedding, food, and all the other necessities. i get home and all of a sudden ask myself "do i really have a rat in my apartment, and how did i get talked into this." So my question is, does anyone else have any experiences with pet rats or the like, and what can i do to make it more social and what types of things can i put in the cage for it so that it isnt so bare? i realize that is this an odd subject so any ideas are cool. thanks

2. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Did you buy it a large rat-sized hamster wheel? Rodents need lots of exersize. Also get it something to gnaw on.

BTW... if you decide to get another rat, a short road trip to NY would be cheaper. :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010

3. 6F0 Nick

6F0 Nick Just Wanna Fly

Name him Mr. Jingles!
    [​IMG]

4. JASV.17

JASV.17 Prime Example

I've owned many rats. Though I only had them until I got them home. Then my boa pwned them.

5. Bill Powell

Bill Powell Cross Member CLM

Damn you, JASV.17, you stole my thunder. My very next post was gonna say that. I hope you're happy....................

6. Nutt51

Nutt51

Never owned one, but I've sure known a few.

One would not last long around my house.
    My little Jack Russell is hell on any small rodent
    with hair. She has more than one notch for
    putting chipmunks and squirrels under.

7. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

Be very careful.
    [​IMG]

8. badr1

badr1

this guy gets all the rats around here lol

[​IMG]

9. happy seal

happy seal

:needspics:

Princesscelica has a rat and a cat, maybee she'll check in and give you some pointers. Why a rat???????????????????????????????

10. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

Watch what you feed him:whistling:
    [​IMG]

11. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Buy him a Glock!

12. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Oh, and remember to unplug the RatZapper Ultra
    [​IMG]

13. gbambeck1

gbambeck1 Tinfoiler

My son has a Rat, she is one of the sweetest little things! I didn't like the idea at all, but now that she hangs out with us all the time, it's pretty cool. They are rather intelligent, ours walks on a leash and is house trained... She will go back to her cage and do her business there instead of on the floor...

14. flyboy5432H

flyboy5432H Pull.Mark.Bird.

I got my first rat when my wife found an escaped albino male in our front yard one day while I was out fishing. She had the neighbor kids come over and pick it up (just in case he wasn't friendly:supergrin:). He was quite tame so he ended up in a 5 gallon bucket until I got home.

We had him for almost 4 years before he died last summer due to tumors. He was a very interesting pet. I'd had hampstes, guinea pigs and rabbits as a kid but the rat was definitely different. He had free run of the house in the evenings and as Gbambeck mentioned he would return to his cage on his own for food or do his business. Mind you he also had free run in a house with 4 dogs and 5 cats. Strangest thing was he would come up and want his head scratched between the ears, and would wag his tail, weirdest thing i'd ever seen the first time he did it.

After he died I decided why waste the cage and setup he had so I went out and picked up 2 female feeder rats. They were young when I got them but have since graduated to running the house in the evenings.

Our first rat, Bernie:
    [​IMG]

Our second two, Remmy and Bernadette:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Remmy has a thing for ears:
    [​IMG]

They are great pets and i'm glad to have taken in the one my wife found.

15. Martlee3

Martlee3

One of my sons rats.
    [​IMG]

16. garyo

garyo Millennium Member

Glock40guy,

What an obscure photo! I loved that movie and got a real good copy on VHS and then copied to DVD. I wonder if anybody else knows what it is? One of my all time favorites, Marjoe is a real hoot in that movie.

OP,

Good luck with the new pet, just don't over feed him as you can see what could happen.

17. Foxterriermom

Foxterriermom No place like home

I've had two, Hueby and Hueby II. They were great pets and loved social interaction. If I has a sweater or sweathshirt on, they would get inside and run around. The cat would sit on my lap with the rats and let them do their thing. Now that I've got 4 terriers, It hink a rat would pretty much be history in my house. Just make sure you handle it a lot to keep it socialized.

18. BEER

BEER bad example

the movie was "the food of the gods". i remember it because the giant wasps scared the **** out of me when i was a kid. lol

on the subject of pet rats, i always laugh at the 2 sides of this particularly funny issue. on 1 side you have some people paying hundreds of dollars to get rats and rodents OUT of their homes, then you have some people paying hundreds of dollars to brings rodents INTO their homes. you'd figure these 2 groups could meet in the middle and help each other out for free. lol

an old room mate of mine used to have a pet rat he'd found hurt out at one of the plants. he named it "EEK!" based on his mother's reaction to seeing it in his pocket the first time. at first i just thought of it as mobile cat food, but then after the first week i found out just how intelligent they are and developed a new found respect for the friendly little critters once they're domesticated.

19. Adjuster

Adjuster

I had one of the hairless rats. Best pet I ever had till he passed away. He was at least as smart as the average Chihuahua which I know isn't saying much. He would play tug of war. He would hide and run out to scare you from around corners and under furniture. He would leap several feet through the air from a perch and land on me by grabbing my shirt or whatever he could get ahold of (hurt like hell). Would love to be held. Shows affection by licking. He was a chick magnet. Like others said ate and pooped in cage only. He did bite the rubber buttons off my tv remote control (pissed me off). Would run the apartment and return to his cage when ready to rest, eat or sleep. They feel with their teeth. He would put his teeth on me and you could tell they were as sharp as razors. Never ever bit me a single time. If he wanted to he could remove meatballs with those razor sharp teeth. The only real complaint his toenails were sharp as hell. He would scratch the crap out of me completely unintentionally.

20. Adjuster

Adjuster

By the way my hairless rat cost me nothing. His original price was $3.00. The pet store guy told me if I purchased the $15.00 cage he would throw the rat in for free. And his name was 'Blazer'. I drove a Chevy Blazer at the time. LOL