close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So...I Hit A Car Today...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by USMCsilver, Apr 8, 2010.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

I swear -- when things are looking up, I somehow always seem to get pooped on!

I swung by Lowes this morning to pick up some Liquid Nails for a quick repair at my house that I'm selling.

I returned to my truck, and there was another truck parked closely to my left. As I was backing out of my space, I was paying attention to the truck so my left front panel would not connect with his right rear panel. Then *crunch*.

To my surprise, there was an Infinity parked in a handycapped spot behind me and one over.

I thought my huge hitch had dug into her vehicle, but luckily my bumper hit her rear quarter-panel and bumper.

I asked about exchanging info and handling it like that, but she wanted the cops. The cop came and mentioned us handling it ourselves and she wanted a report...so that's what we did.

I've got a $1,000.00 deductible, and just got off the phone with USAA. To my surprise, I won't have to pay anything until a probable rate increase. The $1,000 deductible is for MY vehicle only; they'll take care of hers. I did not know this and it was nice to hear.

My truck has minor damage. The bumper is pushed up just a hair and pushed in very little, too. The tailgate won't open well enough, but I'm gonna take a 4x4 post and tap it back down with a sledge hammer and it should be as good as new.

So -- lesson learned. Don't be complacent and look before you leap! Honestly, I have a lot on my mind and well -- ____ happens! :crying:

2. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Glad everything turned out okie-dokey, my friend! :wavey:

3. 4Father

4Father

4. okie

okie GT Mayor

I'm so sorry Sterling, that's a big bite of a crap sandwich, my friend:sadangel:

5. vart

vart

Glad to hear you called us instead of trying to pay out of pocket; most people have no idea how much it costs to repair a vehicle.

Since there was no damage to your vehicle and her damage is likely around $1500 or less, then you may not have any premium increase.

If you haven't had any previous at-fault accidents, then I doubt you'll see an increase.

Worst-case scenario, your rates go up $15 - $20 a month for 3 years, which equals around $700 for us to take care of $1500 in damages, plus a rental car for the 3-4 days in the shop...

It's almost always better to go through insurance for anything over $500.

6. 6F0 Nick

6F0 Nick Just Wanna Fly

Glad to hear it turned out ok. I also have USAA and I have always had great service when making a claim.

7. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Silver,

Does your state offer a defensive driving course, with reward for a 10% reduction in your comprehensive?

As Vart says, that ding to the Infiniti is probably >$1k.

'Drew

8. VC-Racing

VC-Racing General Flunky

Glad things worked out. Unfortunately parking lot spaces need to be increased due to the increase in vehicle size of today's trucks and SUV's . I drive a F350 Crew cab and I always back into parking spots unless they are angled . I have found that by backing in i can maneuver out of the spot if someone has parked in a odd manner around me.

9. BigKid

BigKid

Be very careful though. Same sort of situation happened to me and I got a notice in the mail from my insurance company claiming that the little ding costs over $2000 (I think is the threshold) and that I needed to report that to my DMV for a point on my driving record. I backed into my neighbors car, just misjudged the distance I thought I had. He had a lot of body damage unrelated to my incident that he was able to get the body shop to roll into the bill to the insurance company. So that little ding turned into a brand new looking car. I didn't have USAA, which sounds like top notch insurance. I had CIG at the time I believe and they couldn't care less that there was blatant insurance fraud going on.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

You mean you didn't just 'drop it back into drive' and haul azz outta there?

Just kidding.

11. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

The day before 9/11 my uncle and I were stopped at a stoplight when a guy didn't stop and nailed a truck. He tried saying the truck had ran the light but we stopped and called the cops when it happened which squashed that real fast. :supergrin:

He had USAA and immediately filed a claim. They were calling both of us within four hours wanting statements.

Very impressive service. Damn, I miss that uncle :crying:

12. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Thanks y'all!

The Infinity was a 1994...so I don't know how much it'll be to fix...

They said I could appeal a rate increase. I figure I have a slight leg to stand on since I've given them probably close to $20,000.00 over the last decade for house/car insurance and never needed them for anything. So, we'll see. I'll worry about that in September during the re-up.

Drew -- they do offer a course! Good call! I can go through AARP and take the course for $13 I think. LOL!