close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

So, I got fat

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mr00jimbo, Oct 18, 2012.

1. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I just turned 26. When I was 18, I was a toothpick. I was 5'9 and barely touching 140. Now I'm hovering between 176 and upwards of 180. It doesn't sound like a much and i don't have a twig frame any more but still...

So I started doing some exercise, running just 10 minutes a day (yeah, it's a start, i'd get winded easily)
    I started getting more energy, etc. Just from a bit of exercise. My girlfriend runs more than 5 miles every morning, and she's in phenomenal shape..the kind of shape that makes other women angrily jealous when they see her.

But I didn't keep the exercise up and I ate like **** to boot.
    Tonight i was at the mall, tried on a pair of jeans...walked in front of that three way mirror and thought, "holy ****, did I get THAT fat?" I was disappointed from what I saw, I'll be honest. It didn't help that I tried on some Canada Goose jackets later, and it didn't fit in medium, and barely fit in large (in my defense they were slim fit). When I was 18, a damn small was sometimes big. :rofl:

It's mostly the physical feeling, and not the look, but I'll admit I like to look good for my girlfriend, and despite not being on the market, look presentable to other women.

But here's my problem: when I get hungry, I REALLY get hungry and can't think of anything else. My blood pressure is optimal, by the way, on the low normal side.

So I'm looking for suggestions of healthy food that's going to give me energy, strength and keep me full.
    I'm going to exercise more, drink water, but i need to eat healthy food. I already cut sugar from my coffee and switched from cream to milk.

But mostly I need to know about simple foods to prepare at home and bring to work and to campus. My problem is I eat out because I'm so busy, and fast food isn't exactly healthy. But when I get hungry, I eat and eat and eat to quench the hunger and then I feel way too full/sick. I need to stop doing that, that's for sure.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm also going to bribe myself with a new gun to get the ball rolling...a new gun to be purchased only after I make the changes.

Sorry for making this so long.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  2. Glotin

Glotin

Buy Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, read it, then do the program.

Then it wont really matter how hungry you get, nor will it really matter what you eat as far as your weight is concerned (still matters for overall health).

You probably wont lose too much weight because you'll be gaining muscle mass as you burn the fat, but you will definitely look a hell of a lot better.

Simple stuff to bring to campus?

Almonds, apples, bananas, good deli meat sandwiches, carrots, etc.

3. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

same thing happened ot me in my mid 20's. I had my right leg rebuilt and it made me lazy so I stopped running. I started puttling on lbs and got sick of it.

SOOOOO I started running and taking fat burners. Problem solved, a couple months later I was back to my normal weight.
    if you're anyhting like me (and I don't know if you are) you don't like healthy food or else you'd already be eating it. I don't believe in making myself miserable and not having the things i like so I hope my plan works for you too.

4. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

little less of this

[​IMG]

5. bikerdog

bikerdog

Tagging this for suggestions. Im in a similar boat im 26 and weigh in at 200. In high school I was 175 and had six pack abs. Now I have the whole keg and hate the way I feel. I dont really care about my looks but I went from running sub 5 minute miles to 10 minute miles and feel like it.

I feel like I now understand how my grandfather felt before he died of old age.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. JLB768

JLB768 Old & Grumpy Lifetime Member

I weighed between 125-130 from age 18, till 39. At 44, I'm now 170. Went to the Dr three weeks ago over a lung issue, and had to return last week for a full blood workup. Results...chest x-rays clear, no lung cancer. Cholesterol, not so good...Bad cholesterol high limit 250, I'm at 283, good cholesterol, apparently that's in the basement :supergrin:

Liver good, kidneys good, a whole list of other stuff...good. Dr's orders...Exercise three times a week, and by exercise, Dr means elevated heart rate for 20 minutes. Take fish oil, and red yeast rice (Lipitor and Crestor cause me extreme muscle/joint pain), and easy on the salt and butter. My wife wants me to Zumba :rofl:

7. Glotin

Glotin

Do yourself a favor and don't take "fat burners".

Most "fat burners" either don't work or have a negative impact on the body. One example would be the agent in most "fat burners", which impairs the synthesis of Vitamin A, and the body's absorption of the fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K).

The human body evolved over the past few dozen millions of years to get rid of fat through your basal and digestive metabolisms and physical exertion. No pill can do any of those things.

8. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

The lowest I've ever been was about 170-173. Now I'm up to about 200 and am 5'9". I hate it, but never feel like I have time to do anything about it. I added a running class into my school schedule to force me to go move.

Controlling my weight has been a battle for me all my life. I have to run my ass off daily for me to make progress, but it seems like as soon as I get busy and slack off 30 - 40 pounds hops right on. Got laid off about two years ago and got pretty depressed and packed on over thirty pounds in a three month period.

Beans and rice is my go to meal when in dedicated weight loss mode. It's cheap and easy, like I like my women. I just can't control my portions. I can hear food screaming at me to let it out of the cold fridge.

9. domin8ss

domin8ss

First off, to lose fat you need to do cardio workouts. Running is excellent. My advise: Download C25K by Guy Hoffman from the app store on whatever phone you use. I did, and completed the program. When I started I couldn't run 60 seconds to save my fat ass. I'm now on B210K by the same guy. I recommend the paid version of these apps. Do this 2 apps and you'll be able to run with your girlfriend in 6 months. She'll appreciate it. You'll look better. Sex will be better too. Also, this will help you with your portion control. Exercising will actually make you desire less food. If you want a weightlifting plan I have one typed in Word with pictures. It's a 3 day a week program threat should take you 60-90 minutes to do each day. If you want it, send me a PM with your email address. It is absolutely free. No strings attached. I want nothing in return. I didn't create the plan. I discussed my goals, which are very similar to yours, with a number of personal trainers. This plan is the result of those discussions.

As for food. Stop drinking soda. I can't stress the importance of this. The carbonated water actually dehydrates you, and is a source of 5-10 pounds of weight gain. Drop that and drink water only. It may be hard, so use something healthier to ween you off. I used Crystal Light Pure. I now carry a water bottle with me everywhere I go. I try to drink 1 gallon each day. When you get to this point you will not want soda.

Bake or grill your foods. It's much healthier than frying. Snack often. You need to speed up your metabolism I'm order to lose weight. Find health snacks you can take with you, such as almonds. Almonds are better than peanuts because they are lower in fat. Fruits and vegetables are excellent too. They have very low calorie counts and will fill you up quickly. As for fast food, what I said above applies. Fruit instead of fries are a good substitute. If you get a drink try unsweetened tea or lemonade with lots of ice. Try to avoid buns. Get wraps instead. Mcdonald's us good with this. It seems like every burger they make can also come as a wrap. Subway flatbread is better than their loaves. Why? Bread is a complex carb. They don't break down easily or quickly. Switch over to wheat pastas. If you must eat bread, go with whole grain. These are just a handful of cheap and easy things you can do to eat better. I find wheat and whole grain products to taste sweeter and better than white flour products anyways.

When it comes to weighing yourself, do it the morning of the day you plan on starting your workout immediately after you have woken up and used the toilet. Take pictures of yourself in your underwear. Measure your upper arms and legs, lower legs, chest and stomach. Write down everything on the back of the picture, including your weight. Stick it on the as motivation in the morning or tick it in a drawer. That's up to you. Don't look in the mirror, step on the scale, or measure yourself until after completing week 6. I recommend the morning after your last workout. Then, do everything again and compare the picture and numbers with the first set. Repeat every 2 weeks.

Oh, another snack I absolutely love is hot air popcorn. ½ cup unpopped will be big enough to fill you up. Mix with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and ½ teaspoon of garlic powder after popping.

Do you have a Chick fil-A near you? I find their grilled chicken club sandwich (which comes on wheat bread) with a large fruit bowl instead of fries and a large lemonade with heavy ice to be very satisfying.

As for my weight, I started in February at 326 lbs. I'm now down to 307. I know it's not a lot, but the fat is almost gone, I'm training to run a 10k (already completely ran a 5k), and my strength is drastically improved. I haven't lost much weight because muscle weighs more than fat, however it is the inches that matter. I've gone down from a 46 inch waist to 42. I'm down from XXXL shirts to XXL. My gut is smaller and my chest is flatter. I have built shoulders and calves. My arms and upper legs are starting to show some definition. And, my sides and the portion of my torso between my chest and stomach are starting to come through. If I can do it, you most definitely can. I understand I will always be a big guy, especially since I have a 20 inch neck. However, it is one thing to be big and fat. It's another to be big and fit.

10. Stoneyrn

Stoneyrn

Choosing to do something now before it get's to be a real problem is GREAT!!! Drinking more water is fantastic! You have to learn is it appetite or hunger when you eat. Most of us eat because of boredom or stress. Working, going to school and being in a relationship at the same time is stressfull and Hard work. Find time during the week to prepare meals that can be frozen for use later in the week. Make sure that you do a gradual change in activity so that you don't overtax your joints and get too sore then get discouraged. Remember, you did not put the weight on over night so for LASTING change make gradual changes that will LAST to keep the weight OFF. Determine if you eat because of boredom or stress. If your bored or stressed have sex with your girlfriend.:wow:

11. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Annnnd ignore pretty much everything domin8ss posted above. It's pretty much all wrong. :upeyes:

Cardio is great. It makes your heart strong. Your heart does not consume significant amounts of calories at rest. Build muscle. More muscle burns more calories 24x7.

Quit soda. Yes. However the idea that carbonated water somehow dehydrates you is utter rubbish. The sugar is bad. The water is water.

Frying is just as healthy as any other cooking method provided you do it right. Fat is good for you. Fat triggers the "satisfied" feeling after eating. No fat means you need to gorge on carbs to feel full. Provided it's good fat. Eat good fat, consume less calories. Feel full.

Blah, blah, blah.

You started in Feb at 326 and you're only down to 307?!? You need to throw out all the things you "know" about diet and weight loss and start over. I quit refined carbs and in 1 month dropped from 175 to 160. I don't run. I walk quite a bit. I lift 2-3x a week. Without "white" carbs in my diet it's actually hard to get enough calories to bulk back up to 175ish where I'd like to be.

I shoot for half veggies, a third protein, and the rest unrefined/non white starch. Lift weights. Walk a lot. Run if it feels good. Play. Done.

12. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Bullcrap.

You dont' get really hungry. You just don't. You THINK you are really hungry. Has to do with something growing up. Older brother stealing your food, grandma getting after you, whatever. There is a TRIGGER to eating too much.

I'll give you what my solution is: Try fasting.

Honestly.

For some stuff at our church 2 years ago, I started fasting every Wednesday. I did it for 3 months.

Know what I found out? If I didn't eat, I actually DIDN'T die.

It has taught me a ton about how much to eat and the "fear" of hunger. Sure, I overeat at times. But for the most part, it isn't as hard to just STOP at a certain point and be satisfied.

13. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

+1.

I'd suggest using HIIT cardio to increase calorie burn between workouts. I'd rather do HIIT for 30 min, than slow cardio for 90+ min.

14. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

I dunno about your older brother theory, but often huger is caused by earlier deprivation.

I.e. you eat a light breakfast since you're trying to lose weight.

Then a light lunch.

As a result you binge in an seemingly uncontrollable way at dinner to compensate.

IMHO that's a typical misguided approach that most folks take. It leads to no results, or negative results.

Instead eat 5 - 6 small meals through out the day, plus snacks. Focus on the macros, and eat a lot of nutritionally rich and fibrous but low calorie food (veggies) if you have hunger pains. Avoid the calorie dense food.

15. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

I've always felt unfulfilled when I try the 5-6 small meals. It leads me to grazing all day. I may be atypical, however, because I can sit down and eat myself sick at every meal. Been that way my whole life.

16. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

A typical small meal for me is:

1 whole chicken breast, approx 200 cal
    1 cup squash 40 cal
    1 cup broc 26 cal
    1 cup zucchini 20 cal
    1 carrot 30
    1 cup strawberries 49 cal

Total: 365 cal

East something similar 6 times per day and you're at 2400 cal. (six 400 calorie +- meals)

That leaves between 300-600 calories for snacks depending on the final count I'm aiming for on that particular day.

For me maintenance level is around 2700 cal per day, so often I'm aiming for between 2300 to 3000+ depending on my goals.

YMMV, but doing the above means I'm never hungry.

17. NMG26

NMG26

Download Wheat Belly to your Kindle.

My wife and I cut out wheat and it made a big differnece.

Also my wife stopped smoking after 40 years. She did it using the E-cigarette system. I tried it just to do something with her and found that the nicotine stopped hunger cravings. If you are not too cool to vape, you could give that a shot as well.

18. Harper

Harper

You'd be surprised, when you cut out processed carbs and start eating healthy, the meals are pretty filling. I can lose weight eating four meals a day like this:
    8oz chicken breast
    sweet potato
    piece of fruit
    fresh green vegetables

Obviously cooking chicken breasts four times a day is ridiculous so I cook a few days worth of meat at a time and just warm it up in the microwave when I need to.

I also don't suggest any gimmicky diets. Learn to make a healthy meal plan so you can stay fit for life, not just lose weight only to gain it back once you get tired of beet juice or whatever gimmicky diet people are doing now. Learn how to count calories, how man calories you need, about macro nutrient ratios,etc. It's not always necessary to count calories but it's knowledge that will ensure you know how to eat properly. I believe you're not allowed to complain about not losing weight until you know how many calories you're eating.

19. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

Yeah me too. Cook up an 8 pack and I'm good for 3 days or so.

I also sparingly eat processed sandwich meat: 2 servings for a meal is around 160-180 cal for turkey. Costco brand is pretty decent.

2 servings of shrimp is around 170 cal. Tasty and cooks in 5 min (sauteed with veggies).

Can of tuna.

Cup of cottage cheese.

There are lots of healthy, quick & easy to cook protein sources.

Protein FTW!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  20. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

There are many more severe medical problems available today. Be glad yours is "fixable".

Good luck on your efforts. I really mean it.