So I got a flu shot.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by pag23, Sep 6, 2018.

1. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

about 2hrs ago and my deltoid muscle is pretty sore already. Figured I would get it now and get done with it.. I will take it easy the next few days and load up on fluids....

The pharmacist said they are running low on supplies as well....

Paul53 and Darkangel1846 like this.
  2. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

3. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Got one last Sunday at Publix; arm hurt for a few days only when I touched it ( I know, don't touch it ). All better now.

Paul53 and Darkangel1846 like this.
  4. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

I'm scared to get one. it seems getting one is like having a brain transplant lol

5. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

Well I did think of you and my eyes started to tear up...lol

Paul53, Detectorist, nursetim and 2 others like this.
  6. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

I hate needles but the flu shot doesn't bother me....

Paul53 likes this.
  7. MikeLadner

MikeLadner

I dont want the gubbment in ma body!

AdamRodgers, 6Actual and FullClip like this.
  8. OGW

OGW SAF

I've been taking flu shots for many years. It's rare that I have any soreness but last year's caused a little bit that was gone the next day. The flu shot is as close to a non event as anything I can think of.

Paul53 and KBKEITH like this.
  9. grumpy1

grumpy1

I got one today 9 hours ago as did wife. So far so good. I would not be surprised if I get some minor discomfort in the next few days but nothing that would prevent me form doing anything I want to do.

I got my flu shot last year early December and dear wife was diagnosed with type A flu a month later and my daughter got it too. Wife got the shot too last year and still got the flu but I did not. Hopefully this flu season will be not near as severe as last season.

Paul53 likes this.
  10. 50 Cent

50 Cent

I agree -- I've been getting one for 15 plus years since I was sick as a dog as a bad strain was going around at my then office, where we were all jammed in like a prison and EVERYBODY got sick. Since then I've only had one short lived version.

I remember asking my late grandpa who lived thru the Spanish Flu pandemic (that killed 5% or maybe 100 million of the worlds pop) what it was like. That was the only time I ever saw grandpa scared -- terrified by the memory.

They say every season we are maybe a chromosome mutation from another pandemic so I get one EVERY year. Usually around Thanksgiving tho.

Paul53 likes this.
  11. Dragline

Dragline

I've never got a flu shot in my life.
    In the past 30-40 years I maybe got the flu 2-3 times but can't remember the last time. Certainly not recently.

Robert Cohen, cbetts1 and FullClip like this.
  12. Ramjet38

Ramjet38 Mentally Frozen

I usually wait until last of October so its still good Jan/Feb however I hear its starting early.
    They never get the right strain of flu vaccine right so I wonder if its worth getting, but I probably will anyway.

13. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Well, I used to think that until Sunday. My wife and I went in the get a flu shot and a Public gift card. The head Pharmacist came out with another girl who was going to give my wife the shot first. Then she asked " Are you sure you got all the air out? :alex:

Of course my wife heard and said " Is this your first time giving the shot?" The evidently new trainee said " No this will be my fourth shot ".

My wife politely asked the Head Pharmacist to give her the shot " or I may just pass out right here right now."

So the girl was still at three when we left.

:rofl:

14. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

Ibuprofen as directed and lots of water. The injection site soreness isn't uncommon, along with a low grade fever for a few days.
    If you do well with them, get the shot, but this early you may be getting a second one in January or February. They are very early this year.

Paul53 likes this.
  15. Mister Clean

Mister Clean

From the Centers for Disease Control website:

When should I get vaccinated?

You should get a flu vaccine before flu begins spreading in your community. It takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies that protect against flu to develop in the body. CDC recommends that people get a flu vaccine by the end of October. Getting vaccinated later, however, can still be beneficial and vaccination should continue to be offered throughout the flu season, even into January or later.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

"If you're over 65, don't get the flu vaccine in September. Or August. It's a marketing scheme," says Laura Haynes, an immunologist at the University of Connecticut Center on Aging.

Not that long ago, most flu-shot campaigns started as the leaves began to turn in October. But two things have stretched the flu-shot season: the decade-long increase in the number of drugstores that have a retail medical clinic inside, and state laws that allow pharmacists to give vaccinations.

Drugstores have figured out how "to deliver medical services in an on-demand way," says Tom Charland, founder and CEO of Merchant Medicine, which tracks the walk-in clinic industry. The approach appeals to customers, particularly millennials, and turns out to be good business.

"It's a way to get people into the store to buy other things," Charland says.

But some doctors warn that the marketing may be overtaking medical wisdom, since it's unclear how long the immunity imparted by the vaccine lasts, particularly in older people."

Caver 60 and Ramjet38 like this.
  16. pag23

pag23 NRA Life Member

It is starting early here on PA from what the pharmacist told me. I know the guy so I believe him.

Paul53 likes this.
  17. powernoodle

powernoodle

18. KBKEITH

KBKEITH Problem Solver Platinum Member

I had my first one ever last December. Didn’t feel a thing, before or after.

Paul53 likes this.
  19. CombatCamera

CombatCamera

I have to get them every year, thanks Uncle Sam!

I don’t mind though as I hardly ever get sick with it.

Paul53 and Caver 60 like this.
  20. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

My wife will get hers at Walgreens. I am required to get mine at the hospital I volunteer at. Arm is a little sore afterwards. I am old enough to remember getting the Asian flu. That was terrible.

grumpy1, Paul53 and Ramjet38 like this.