So I fired my first batch of .223...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Glock21sf-miami, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Thought I would follow up with you guys since many of you have helped me greatly to get to this point.
    So I loaded 40 rounds. 20 with 24.5 grs of H335 pushing a Hornady 55 gr FMJ BT w/c and 20 with 24 grs of H335. Primers are CCI BR4s.
    All of them cycled perfectly through both my 16" rifle and 10.5" pistol. Accuracy was great as measured from my rifle with iron sights. Maybe it is just me but the group with my reloads seemed a bit tighter than the group with factory Wolf steel case rounds.
    I took me a while to prep cases but once that was done, loading in my progressive was relatively fast. I had to set up the sizing die 1/8 turn past contact with the shell plate in order to get the cases to fit flush inside de gauge (They protrude a little bit that I can barely feel with my finger but they all chambered and cycled with no issues).
    Wanted to ask you... the loading manuals show a lower max load with 335 and Hornady bullets. I chose to load a 24.5 and 24 because I was going with the info on the Speer 55 gr Spoint bullet that shows up in the Hogdon website and the info from this forum. However, the recoil felt more similar to 5.56 than .223. I think I'll stay with the 24 gr charge. Spent casings did not show any signs of over pressure. Should I dial it back a bit? I want to make sure I get to a good go to load before loading a couple of hundred rounds. Components are so scarce this days that throwing out a primed case the other day made me cringe.

2. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

I don't load rifle, and likely never will now... but why did you throw out a primed case?

3. nerr

nerr

I would not toss live, primed cases into the trash or for recycling the brass to a recycler.

I'd at least deprime it using a DEDICATED DEPRIMING die, so you can GENTLY apply pressure to dislodge the primer. Be sure to wear eye and ear protection doing it. Then store the live primer in an old, empty, original primer box/sleeve that you put in a plastic box (even an ice cream container or empty plastic bullet box) and mark the sleeve as 'bad primers'. You can deactivate the primers by soaking them in oil for a while to make them safer (I've not done this yet). I have deprimed live primers a few times for various reasons with no problems. Just be sure to use slow, gentle pressure.

Or store the primed 'bad' case in a plastic box somewhere out of the way.

4. SARDG

I use primed cases that I happen to end up with, running them through my 650/750 again with decapping pin removed, and priming 'off'.

5. Taterhead

Taterhead

Congrats on a successful outing!

If your concern is that the warmer fharge is a pressure concern,25 gr of H335 under a fmj-bt is pretty standard. My ammo is 24.8 - 25.0 gr. That being said, if 24.0 is making you and your rifle happy, then that is the answer. And you'll stretch your jug of powder slightly further.

XX75 likes this.
  6. Samuel_Hoggson

Samuel_Hoggson

24 gr H335 with 55 fmjs was my standard charge for MG fodder. For myself and a couple other guys. Loaded in range/MGshoot-scrounged casings. Back then I was using a SB die, and not checking fired cases before sizing (as I would now with such brass).

Anyway, the load cycled for everyone. Definitely not M193, but no complaints.

Once-fired from one gun, would not fret about loading 25 gr. Then, not sure why I'd need the extra velocity for practice/range ammo.

Taterhead likes this.
  7. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Great info guys! I did not want to try to dislodge that primer since I have never done that before and I did not want to make a stupid mistake. I have thrown out a couple of primed cases before (45 cases) and I have soaked them in water before doing so.
    With small rifle, it has been so hard to get them that losing one feels lousy, especially since I just have 1k.
    Thanks for confirming the charge. 24 - 24.5 grs felt great and I liked the accuracy too so I'll keep loading them the same way...

Taterhead likes this.
  8. SARDG

Still not understanding why you toss a primed case; just use it like any other case - sans decapping and priming. I use primed cases in my presses all the time.

9. collim1

collim1

With components being so expensive I would load them as light as they willl shoot well and reliably cycle all of your rifles.

I have loaded 55g .223’s as slow as 2400 FPS and they still cycle all of my rifles even when dirty.

For shooting inside 100 yards you don’t need 3200 FPS. Get as many rounds per pound of powder as you can. If two loads shoot equally well I am always going to use the lowest charge.

Uncle Don likes this.
  10. rg1

rg1

The Hornady manuals have shown the same H335 load with 55 grain bullets for YEARS. Same load with the same bolt action rifle in the last several manuals. They haven't even updated the data in an AR rifle before AR rifles were popular. They have load data for AR's with other bullets but not the most popular bullet of choice, the 55 grain. Common loads from other manuals plus Hodgdon powder company data is higher. In this case trust Hodgdon data as a safe maximum..

Taterhead likes this.
  11. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

the neck of the case broke on the powder die. Don't know why that happened... first time. the neck got pushed back and split beyond any possibility of repair...

SARDG likes this.
  12. Taterhead

Taterhead

Weird. With a pic we might be able to help diagnose.

You can salvage the primer by using a universal de-cap die to EASE out the primer. Or if the case isn't too mangled, lube it up and EASE it out with the sizing die.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
  13. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Thanks for the tip Tater, I do have a universal decapping die. I'll do that next time...